Jetpacks: Freedom of motion on space stations

Do you think that this is a good idea?

• Total voters

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
I'd love to something that redefined what a Jetpack is, instead of using the old IC2-esque Jetpack. Something that creates Negative Mass around itself in order to create a bubble of what is essentially reversed gravitational fields surrounding it. This would allow ascension, descension, and hovering with justified logic behind it. We don't know what's out there, so it's entirely possible there's something with a Negative Mass out there (I mean, stranger things have happened, Black Holes come to mind).

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
What I envisioned was a space station blocks. Some with windows, and so forth. Magnetic boots. That would allow you to walk on the space station blocks. Any side of the space station block. Not as clean as jetpack's, probably harder to code, but an idea.

Reactions: tihmstar

tihmstar

Jul 23, 2013
I'd love to something that redefined what a Jetpack is, instead of using the old IC2-esque Jetpack. Something that creates Negative Mass around itself in order to create a bubble of what is essentially reversed gravitational fields surrounding it. This would allow ascension, descension, and hovering with justified logic behind it. We don't know what's out there, so it's entirely possible there's something with a Negative Mass out there (I mean, stranger things have happened, Black Holes come to mind).
lol ... you watch a bit too much science fiction.
How about simply charge the jetpack with oxygen and fuel and let this burn down while you're fluying?
That would also work in space and everybody would understand the theory behind it easily ;)

What I envisioned was a space station blocks. Some with windows, and so forth. Magnetic boots. That would allow you to walk on the space station blocks. Any side of the space station block. Not as clean as jetpack's, probably harder to code, but an idea.
I like this idea, but it needs to be block, which can be easily crafted, because you need a lot of them in a space station. How about craft them with 4 clean stone and 1 iron bar and you'll get 4 (or 2) magnetic blocks.

KrazyMack

Apr 9, 2013
why don't you use the modular powersuits mod, its already compatible with galacticraft, you can make your helmet airtight and the oxygen tanks fit right with the model of the powersuits. and it actually looks like a spacesuit too

Dunewolfz

Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
lol ... you watch a bit too much science fiction.
How about simply charge the jetpack with oxygen and fuel and let this burn down while you're fluying?
That would also work in space and everybody would understand the theory behind it easily ;)
First off, it's not science fiction (we just need to find something which has negative mass (which we could likely find in the more "exotic" parts of space. Secondly, the theory behind it is fairly simple in Leman's terms: Space bends towards things with a positive mass, and away from things with a negative mass.
And the best part is, it makes more sense than IC2's jetpack.

Reactions: MoltonMontro

Dunewolfz

Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
First off, it's not science fiction (we just need to find something which has negative mass (which we could likely find in the more "exotic" parts of space. Secondly, the theory behind it is fairly simple in Leman's terms: Space bends towards things with a positive mass, and away from things with a negative mass.
To add to this, although it isn't the same exact thing, this is pretty dang close in concept:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

Reactions: MoltonMontro

tihmstar

Jul 23, 2013

even if i don't understand what you're talking about (sorry my english is not that good :( ) i think you know about this stuff a bit/a lot.
But i hope you agree me, that micdoodle8 should add jetpacks, which are charged with either oil or oxygen or both. ;)

jasonB221

Jul 27, 2013
Lost in Space
To add to this, although it isn't the same exact thing, this is pretty dang close in concept:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect
That has nothing to do with the concept. That refers to, very simplified, attractive or repulsive forces. Not negative mass.
Negative mass and reversed gravitational fields do not mix. First off, nothing can have negative mass. Something can have 0 mass, but not negative mass due to interactions with the Higgs Boson field. (The goddamn particle anyone?). There is no possible way for a particle to interact with that field and have a result of a negative mass.
I'm not too sure about that. I say it makes just about as much sense as the IC2 jetpack. That is, 0 sense.

Source: AP Physics in high school.

Dunewolfz

Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
That has nothing to do with the concept. That refers to, very simplified, attractive or repulsive forces. Not negative mass.

Negative mass and reversed gravitational fields do not mix. First off, nothing can have negative mass. Something can have 0 mass, but not negative mass due to interactions with the Higgs Boson field. (The goddamn particle anyone?). There is no possible way for a particle to interact with that field and have a result of a negative mass.

I'm not too sure about that. I say it makes just about as much sense as the IC2 jetpack. That is, 0 sense.

Source: AP Physics in high school.
Shut up and let me have my fun.
And they said that black holes were impossible, too.

samTheCyborg

Apr 28, 2014
Im sorry if this was in the FAQ but Im just to lazy to check, so here we go:

I would like to have some kind of jetpacks to help you in improving your space station and/or just be fun to play around with. I have played a lot of space games and all of those Ive played has jetpacks in them.
But since minecraft is my favourite game of all time i would really want to see it in this awesome mod.
When i say improving your space station I mean like in a scenario where your space station breaks down because of a wire breaking or something i would love to have a jetpack to be able to fix it. Currently I have to place a block underneath me to be able to place another wire down, this sort of breaks the feel for me.