Jupiter as Next Planet and a Lot of Ideas!

Do you agree to these two ideas?

• I agree

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I disagree

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I just want Jupiter

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Sorry, but I don't exactly support the idea of going to Jupiter.

As you know it, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and every other Gas Giant in the universe's atmosphere is made of gas, hence their name. However, the atmosphere is simply way too dangerous to approach, due to the sheer pressure and extreme winds. If a spaceship, no matter how tough it is, approached the atmosphere, it would be crushed in a matter of seconds.

And also, much more than half of a Gas Giant is composed of gas, hydrogen and the such. While there IS a solid core, you would have to go through all the rest, which is right next to impossible. I mean, just look at how DENSE the atmosphere is:

800px-Gas_Giant_Interiors.jpg

Besides, even if a spaceship managed to make through that atmosphere, all it would have to explore is a tiny core made simply of rock and/or ice that is smaller than the Overworld.

However, as I suggested in another thread, it would be possible to make space stations that float in the exterior of those giants' atmospheres, and are able to absorb the hydrogen and convert it into certain things, such as fuel, oxygen or battery power. It would also be reasonable to explore one of it's moons(for example, Ganymede). Just one, though, because otherwise it would be like coding an entire galaxy, except it spins around Jupiter.

If this sounds too advanced, Tier 3 Rockets could go to Venus instead. Or both Venus and Jupiter.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
However, as I suggested in another thread, it would be possible to make space stations that float in the exterior of those giants' atmospheres, and are able to absorb the hydrogen and convert it into certain things, such as fuel, oxygen or battery power. It would also be reasonable to explore one of it's moons(for example, Ganymede). Just one, though, because otherwise it would be like coding an entire galaxy, except it spins around Jupiter.

If this sounds too advanced, Tier 3 Rockets could go to Venus instead. Or both Venus and Jupiter.

Last time I peaked inside an assembly of Galacticraft's source code, all four gas giants where there, but redded out. Either they are intended to be implemented somehow, or they might just be there for the sake of visually helping the player categorizing each gas giant's specific system of moons.

By the latter, visiting the other solar system is a planned feature. Among Jupiter's moons available for selection where Io, Europa and Callisto (but the list has potential for expansion/reconsideration). In order to reach Jupiter's orbit, I'd imagine you are going to need a tier 3 rocket. But when you have done that, a tier 1 rocket would only be required in order to travel between the moons of Jupiter. The latter logic would apply to the other of the gas giants as well.

Since there would be a system of moons, perhaps the player would be required to explore each moon for a piece of schematic? Each piece could later be puzzled together with a crafting table for a complete schematics. That would of course only be one example of many other possibilities.

It should technically be possible to reach Venus with a tier 2 rocket, but you'd be needing some kind of shielding upgrade in order to land on the Venusian surface. You'd also be required to wear a complete set of some special armor or else you'd be suffering a penalty directly comparable to swimming in lava (I.E. you'd be dead in seconds). Pouring a bucket of water would have the content immediately vaporize (akin to the Nether) and flammable blocks would instantly ignite in the Venusian atmosphere. You'd also be walking slightly slower on Venus since the player would be "wading" through it's dense atmosphere.

Perhaps even a heat gauge could be implemented? Modular Powersuits utilizes this in a pretty cool way; when you are exposed to high temperatures, the suit will begin to soak up the heat represented through such a gauge. When the gauge has been maxed out, the player will begin to take damage. The cool thing is, while it passively cools down in the regular world, it won't in the hotter dimension of the Nether, requiring the player to install a cooling unit into the suit in order to properly dissipate any heat.

The same thing could potentially apply to the "Venus suit", except from it wouldn't be modular – it would already have adequate protection from the Venusian atmosphere by default. However, if you'd fall into lava on Venus with one of those suits, its heat gauge would start to build up and you'd be required to return to some protected area in order to cool down. I think that would offer some interesting dynamics.

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
Last time I peaked inside an assembly of Galacticraft's source code, all four gas giants where there, but redded out. Either they are intended to be implemented somehow, or they might just be there for the sake of visually helping the player categorizing each gas giant's specific system of moons.

By the latter, visiting the other solar system is a planned feature. Among Jupiter's moons available for selection where Io, Europa and Callisto (but the list has potential for expansion/reconsideration). In order to reach Jupiter's orbit, I'd imagine you are going to need a tier 3 rocket. But when you have done that, a tier 1 rocket would only be required in order to travel between the moons of Jupiter. The latter logic would apply to the other of the gas giants as well.

Since there would be a system of moons, perhaps the player would be required to explore each moon for a piece of schematic? Each piece could later be puzzled together with a crafting table for a complete schematics. That would of course only be one example of many other possibilities.

It should technically be possible to reach Venus with a tier 2 rocket, but you'd be needing some kind of shielding upgrade in order to land on the Venusian surface. You'd also be required to wear a complete set of some special armor or else you'd be suffering a penalty directly comparable to swimming in lava (I.E. you'd be dead in seconds). Pouring a bucket of water would have the content immediately vaporize (akin to the Nether) and flammable blocks would instantly ignite in the Venusian atmosphere. You'd also be walking slightly slower on Venus since the player would be "wading" through it's dense atmosphere.

Perhaps even a heat gauge could be implemented? Modular Powersuits utilizes this in a pretty cool way; when you are exposed to high temperatures, the suit will begin to soak up the heat represented through such a gauge. When the gauge has been maxed out, the player will begin to take damage. The cool thing is, while it passively cools down in the regular world, it won't in the hotter dimension of the Nether, requiring the player to install a cooling unit into the suit in order to properly dissipate any heat.

The same thing could potentially apply to the "Venus suit", except from it wouldn't be modular – it would already have adequate protection from the Venusian atmosphere by default. However, if you'd fall into lava on Venus with one of those suits, its heat gauge would start to build up and you'd be required to return to some protected area in order to cool down. I think that would offer some interesting dynamics.

Why does this guy has better idea's than me?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Why does this guy has better idea's than me?
Information.

I approve of this post. So I'm reposting the links for a video that got buried dozens of post ago. Another chance for people to visualize what your post says:

Venus encounter: link
Venus walk: link
Jupiter atmosphere: link
Io landing: link

Neither do I. But there's a post somewhere saying that we should be allowed to land on the Sun......... While we don't have Star Trek or Type-2 Civilization technology, I'm sorry to say: nope. :p

If a spaceship, no matter how tough it is, approached the atmosphere, it would be crushed in a matter of seconds.
Not mentioning that Jupiter magnetosphere traps high dozes of radiation.

Last edited:

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013

Yeah, that makes sense. I kinda like the idea of exploring multiple moons in order to get the schematic. Maybe you have to explore four of the Galilean moons - Io, Europa and Callisto - in order to retrieve three keys, and you have to place those three keys in slots in the fourth and largest Galilean moon, Ganymede, in order to be able to fight the dungeon boss(a cloud-like monster native to said moon, maybe?) and unlock the fourth schematic -- the Venus one. That creates an even larger adventure, though that may be fuel-expensive.

Yup. I was kinda worried about the temperature factor, though I like the idea you suggested.

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
BLACK HOLES Black Holes would appear very rarely on the GUI screen. If you launch to a black hole in Survival, Hardcore or Adventure mode-you get sucked up and die. However, if you are in Creative you would get sucked up and teleported to a random planet (Earth/Overworld, Moon or Mars). If a Black Hole appears on the GUI screen you can click the "Send to dimension" button to acess it. If you are in a tier 2+ rocket and launch to a Black Hole you have a chance of surviving my moving to the opposite way the Black Hole is.

Why would you ever select to go to a black hole if you just die? Why not make things easier and have a button that says "Kill yourself" or if you don't want to die just select the planet you want to go to... if you want it random just close your eyes and click randomly....

This is a seriously bad idea!

Aug 31, 2013
Finland

As you know it, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and every other Gas Giant in the universe's atmosphere is made of gas, hence their name. However, the atmosphere is simply way too dangerous to approach, due to the sheer pressure and extreme winds. If a spaceship, no matter how tough it is, approached the atmosphere, it would be crushed in a matter of seconds.

And also, much more than half of a Gas Giant is composed of gas, hydrogen and the such. While there IS a solid core, you would have to go through all the rest, which is right next to impossible. I mean, just look at how DENSE the atmosphere is:

800px-Gas_Giant_Interiors.jpg

Besides, even if a spaceship managed to make through that atmosphere, all it would have to explore is a tiny core made simply of rock and/or ice that is smaller than the Overworld.

For the sake of bricks, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO IS NOT 8 Years old GALACTICRAFT PLAYER!!!!! AND FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE STUFF!!! Praise the science! If i want Jupiter, i only want it to be Hohmann transfer orbit to get to its valuable moons! And also to make a space station. Anyone support the idea that only large celestial bodies can support space stations? i know this is unrealistic, but too many space stations create lag. Jupiter would be ideal to make a larger space station than on overworld, And it would be Medium Space Station Core, MSSC, while on Overworld, the standard base starter would be Small Space Station Core SSSC. And on other solar system, Space station orbiting some planet twice the size of Jupiter, or, orbiting the star of the system, would be LSSC.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
For the sake of bricks, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO IS NOT 8 Years old GALACTICRAFT PLAYER!!!!! AND FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE STUFF!!! Praise the science! If i want Jupiter, i only want it to be Hohmann transfer orbit to get to its valuable moons! And also to make a space station. Anyone support the idea that only large celestial bodies can support space stations? i know this is unrealistic, but too many space stations create lag. Jupiter would be ideal to make a larger space station than on overworld, And it would be Medium Space Station Core, MSSC, while on Overworld, the standard base starter would be Small Space Station Core SSSC. And on other solar system, Space station orbiting some planet twice the size of Jupiter, or, orbiting the star of the system, would be LSSC.

Hm, I support the idea of having varying Space Station sizes. That would help me a lot since my usual lack of creativity gives me a total blank when I'm thinking about how to increase the space station's size.

And I'm 13. :p

Neither do I. But there's a post somewhere saying that we should be allowed to land on the Sun......... While we don't have Star Trek or Type-2 Civilization technology, I'm sorry to say: nope. :p

Wow... I don't even know what to comment. I wonder which page that comment is on.

Why would you ever select to go to a black hole if you just die? Why not make things easier and have a button that says "Kill yourself" or if you don't want to die just select the planet you want to go to... if you want it random just close your eyes and click randomly....

This is a seriously bad idea!

Personally I think Black Holes would be just an aesthesical feature, alongside other things. If you don't get what I mean;

If you stay at the Planet Selection GUI for long enough, eventually things will begin to appear flying in the background; Alien spaceships, Evolved Creepers, Alien Villagers, meteors, falling stars, Supernovas, nebulas, and of course, Black holes. Those things won't affect gameplay, but would be fun to look at. (And no, they won't appear one right after another. There will be pauses between each object.)

Another thing I've heard about is capturing part of Black Holes' energies by the usage of space stations. I don't know how that would work, but it's an idea.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Why would you ever select to go to a black hole if you just die?
Maybe, for someone who accidentally selects things to select it?

...umm, watch this:

As to being allowed to land everywhere: why? Galacticraft shouldn't be limited to just takeoff-landing-takeoff-landing-takeoff-landing-takeoff-landing... some planets should offer something else and lead the player to other experiences. If I can't land on Jupiter, I could build a station or explore its moons. If I can't land on Saturn, I could explore its rings. Fair trade.

Reactions: OpelSpeedster
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Hm, I support the idea of having varying Space Station sizes. That would help me a lot since my usual lack of creativity gives me a total blank when I'm thinking about how to increase the space station's size.

And I'm 13. :p
Me too. Gladly someone supports the idea of NOT HAVING JUPITER!!!!! i still need to say this until people understand, Please, Do not try to "Land" on Jupiter. It's not like in 2001: A Space Odyssey. And you wouldn't get the option to choose some of Jupiter's moons until you have flown to its orbit.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Me too. Gladly someone supports the idea of NOT HAVING JUPITER!!!!! i still need to say this until people understand, Please, Do not try to "Land" on Jupiter. It's not like in 2001: A Space Odyssey. And you wouldn't get the option to choose some of Jupiter's moons until you have flown to its orbit.
Well... I want any planet, but if Jupiter gets added as a landable planet......