Jupiter as Next Planet and a Lot of Ideas!

Do you agree to these two ideas?

• I agree

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I disagree

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I just want Jupiter

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
How i imagine tier3 rocket is gonna look like:
270px-Semyorka_Rocket_R7_by_Sergei_Korolyov_in_VDNH_Ostankino_RAF0540.jpg

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Colonizing gas giants is a cool idea. However, the idea of "landing" on Jupiter would be stretching it. Even with the Galileo kamikaze probe we only penetrated about 0.2% of Jupiter's radius (about 140 km) before it was disabled by the atmosphere's overwhelming pressure and heat. If we'd go deeper, it's not until the depth of 1,000 km when the pressure has reached a crushing half a million of bars that the hydrogen will fade from gas into liquid. Yet, despite being in a liquid state, the hydrogen's high buoyancy will let you free-fall through it like it was just thin air.

It's not certain when the hydrogen turns into a metallic state, but it's estimated to be at an approximate depth of 40,000-55,000 km. At this point the atmosphere's density will be high enough to allow flotation in a similar manner to ships on water. However, at this point the atmospheric pressure will also have reached a pressure of 2 million of bars and the temperature nearly 5000 degrees Celsius. It would be enough to vaporize metal.

Although, some technical details should be taken with a pinch of salt since I can be wrong. And yeah, Minecraft's still a game.

Regardless, I'd think floating platforms/cities could be pretty cool, especially if they could have a practical purpose. Colonizing gas giants wouldn't be the highest thing on my wish list, though.

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
Colonizing gas giants is a cool idea. However, the idea of "landing" on Jupiter would be stretching it. Even with the Galileo kamikaze probe we only penetrated about 0.2% of Jupiter's radius (about 140 km) before it was disabled by the atmosphere's overwhelming pressure and heat. If we'd go deeper, it's not until the depth of 1,000 km when the pressure has reached a crushing half a million of bars that the hydrogen will fade from gas into liquid. Yet, despite being in a liquid state, the hydrogen's high buoyancy will let you free-fall through it like it was just thin air.

It's not certain when the hydrogen turns into a metallic state, but it's estimated to be at an approximate depth of 40,000-55,000 km. At this point the atmosphere's density will be high enough to allow flotation in a similar manner to ships on water. However, at this point the atmospheric pressure will also have reached a pressure of 2 million of bars and the temperature nearly 5000 degrees Celsius. It would be enough to vaporize metal.

Although, some technical details should be taken with a pinch of salt since I can be wrong. And yeah, Minecraft's still a game.

Regardless, I'd think floating platforms/cities could be pretty cool, especially if they could have a practical purpose. Colonizing gas giants wouldn't be the highest thing on my wish list, though.

Very... Interesting?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth

You could create floating bases a little like Cloud City is Star wars, and harvest the clouds or send pumps to get stuff from the depths.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloud_City

Reactions: Captain Kirk
.... Ceres!! Between Jupiter and mars! A Small asteroid-like dwarf planet. Would be ideal and perfect for Secret bases!

and a metroid III machinima - space station ceres, remember?

Alright so i have been looking forward in making a thread like this in awhile so i decided that i should do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JUPITER

-I am really enjoying the new Mars update, new dungeon system, balloons when landing, etc...
But since the next planet is going to be deloped soon, i would suggest Jupiter, since the solar system goes like

-SUN-Mercury-Venus-Earth-Mars-Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus-Neptune-Pluto (It isn't a planet, but it's still in the Solar System now, is it?).

-I know developing Jupiter will be hard since it is HUGE and has a massive gravity, like 263%?! Jupiter also has over 60 moons... But won't it be really fun to explore Jupiter? All those hurricanes and canyons. It also has a small ring around itself, that is amazing. I hope this will be the next planet out, do you? Which planet would you like to see next?

Jupiter is a gas giant. Can't gas-walk.

Formula350

Sep 2, 2013
You could create floating bases a little like Cloud City is Star wars, and harvest the clouds or send pumps to get stuff from the depths.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloud_City
Yea, I was about to say something similar to that...

Here's my revised suggestion from earlier (which said not being able to enter the atmosphere at all): Gas Giants are primarily used as a hub to travel to the moons, but you CAN interact directly with the planet in the sense of gas collection. You would build a space elevator in a sense, except it would be (somehow) anchored from space instead of from the planet's surface. The roll would be to siphon off Hydrogen to use for rocket fuel, which I think should be a prerequisite of the Tier 3 rocket. Perhaps require it be connected to a Space Station in orbit around Jupiter. Heck, if you want I guess you could make it so you require a high pressure suit and then give it a time limit, different from O2 in that the suit gets physically damaged. Exceed that and it deteriorates, at which point yous dead :p Anyways, with the suit you'd then build the "harvester" portion, which if you can't complete it in time you'll have to return to the station and repair your suit for a return run. Also could set it up to have said harvester take damage and need repairs every so often. And I think it was mentioned in the Easy Air thread, about electrolysis, but that could then be how to obtain the O2 through obtaining water off one of the moons.

As for the Aether II mod debate, my stance is this: A lot of mods seem to add a whole lot more than just the small features that are being mentioned, which I'm not sure what all is involved with the Aether mod, but I suspect it's more than just walkable clouds? If so that adds a lot of clutter to the game, so I think for things like that it may just be better to either create his own version of walkable clouds or get the mod maker's blessing to include just that feature. Like the Stargate mod I mentioned in my own thread, all it adds is three Stargate blocks, the dialing device block, the related ore (ore block, the mined ore, the ingot and then block of refined ore made from ingots). I think that's it, no additional weapons or armor, so doesn't exactly unbalance things too badly.

That's just my 2-dollars and fifty-eight cents, though :D