• Both

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Flashy-3

Aug 10, 2013
Rochester, New York
This has popped up before so I made this thread. For Jupiter would you rather fly to the core and its metallic hydrogen seeas and mine its ores, or would you rather land on dense gas, use it for fuel and live with the balloon creatures. Would you do both? Would you do neither? Post your ideas below on your thoughts.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
I don't think it would be able to actually enter Jupiter's atmosphere. In fact, you shouldn't be able to enter any Gas Giants' atmospheres for that matter, the sheer pressure of the gas would crush your spaceship.

BUT, instead of actually entering Jupiter, players should instead be able to create space stations that float near Jupiter's atmosphere. These space stations would have devices that are able to drain a fraction of the gas in Jupiter's atmosphere and convert it into something(batteries or oxygen?).

Of course, given how hostile a Gas Giant's nature is, those space stations would need to have a tougher structure, therefore requiring more resources to build them. Obviously falling out of them and into Jupiter would almost instantly kill the player after they descend enough, even in Creative mode to prevent players from actually entering it.

And also, in order to not make Tier 3 Rockets simply for the sake of building a space station in Jupiter, those Tier 3 rockets should be able to acess one of Jupiter's five moons. From there, in a dungeon, Tier 4 Rockets can be unlocked.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
You know, just because this is Minecraft it doesn't means we don't have to follow absolutely no logic.

If Minecraft had no logic, then we could pretty much have Charged Creepers fall out of the sky when it rains and survive the fall, then chase you even if you're a thousand blocks away. Sure, Minecraft is not the most logical thing, but come on, there are limits.

Spore is also not exactly bound to logic(That is, unless you consider cells that live in the ocean randomly transforming into a land-based multicelluar creature to be logical), and yet it also doesn't allows you to enter a Gas Giant in the Space Stage. Just pointing out.

Sorry if I sound rude, but things need to have a bit of common sense.

I also forgot to mention that Jupiter has no solid surface. Just decided to point it out.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
You know, just because this is Minecraft it doesn't means we don't have to follow absolutely no logic.

If Minecraft had no logic, then we could pretty much have Charged Creepers fall out of the sky when it rains and survive the fall, then chase you even if you're a thousand blocks away. Sure, Minecraft is not the most logical thing, but come on, there are limits.

Spore is also not exactly bound to logic(That is, unless you consider cells that live in the ocean randomly transforming into a land-based multicelluar creature to be logical), and yet it also doesn't allows you to enter a Gas Giant in the Space Stage. Just pointing out.

Sorry if I sound rude, but things need to have a bit of common sense.

I also forgot to mention that Jupiter has no solid surface. Just decided to point it out.
In the Aether you can harvest clouds.
Why not harvest gas on Jupiter?

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
In the Aether you can harvest clouds.
Why not harvest gas on Jupiter?

I believe I suggested somewhere to be able to harvest the gas in Jupiter, just on Space Stations instead of actually "landing" on Jupiter's "surface". I remember someone mentioning in an IRC chat about that idea, of space stations that orbit around Gas Giants and use those giants' atmosphere to convert it into certain things I can't seem to remember.

But for the sake of utility, I suppose the gases could be converted into either Spaceship Fuel(so you don't have to go back and forth from the Overworld and Space to refuel), Battery Power(by that, I mean either something to charge dead batteries or a substitute to batteries) or Oxygen(though that would kind of make Oxygen Compressors obsolete).

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
I believe I suggested somewhere to be able to harvest the gas in Jupiter, just on Space Stations instead of actually "landing" on Jupiter's "surface". I remember someone mentioning in an IRC chat about that idea, of space stations that orbit around Gas Giants and use those giants' atmosphere to convert it into certain things I can't seem to remember.

But for the sake of utility, I suppose the gases could be converted into either Spaceship Fuel(so you don't have to go back and forth from the Overworld and Space to refuel), Battery Power(by that, I mean either something to charge dead batteries or a substitute to batteries) or Oxygen(though that would kind of make Oxygen Compressors obsolete).
Yay!

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
That's why I think that reality should not be used as a rule but it can be used as a reference.

Game design is all about the player having control over the game so that they can face things that can be expected and be overcome.

Since Galacticraft's proposal is to allow you to explore the solar system in a spaceship built by you, the mod should have things that you would expect to see in the solar system. Being able to land on the Sun or Jupiter is a thing I won't expect, at all.

If you want to play a game whose logic is having no logic, play this: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

EDIT:

Free LOLs here:

Last edited:
Reactions: OpelSpeedster

ohiomeister

Nov 13, 2013
I feel that Jupiter and Saturn should be left out of the mod. The gravity on both planets is so intense it's impossible to survive. Unless he plans on adding a pressurized suit or something of that nature to keep you from being crushed to death. I think the focus should be more on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn opposed to the planets themselves. Moons like Ganymede, Callisto, Io, Europa, Titan, Mimas, etc.

With that being said, if I had to pick, I would prefer the planet to actually be a dense gas as stated above. Perhaps make jumping impossible(because gravity be strong there yo). I like the idea of the balloon creatures though, maybe something like inflated creepers? or something of that nature. Sucking up the gas as a form a fuel would be neat too. Maybe it could make a more powerful fuel that is needed to launch rockets farther into space?

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
I feel that Jupiter and Saturn should be left out of the mod. The gravity on both planets is so intense it's impossible to survive. Unless he plans on adding a pressurized suit or something of that nature to keep you from being crushed to death. I think the focus should be more on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn opposed to the planets themselves. Moons like Ganymede, Callisto, Io, Europa, Titan, Mimas, etc.

With that being said, if I had to pick, I would prefer the planet to actually be a dense gas as stated above. Perhaps make jumping impossible(because gravity be strong there yo). I like the idea of the balloon creatures though, maybe something like inflated creepers? or something of that nature. Sucking up the gas as a form a fuel would be neat too. Maybe it could make a more powerful fuel that is needed to launch rockets farther into space?
Ohiomeister
this is minecraft

Last edited:

ohiomeister

Nov 13, 2013
Ohiomeister
First this is minecraft
Second in the addon forum I give them idea about armored that protect u from gravity and they agree
Finally if u want the link for forum addon visit this link : http://4space.boards.net
I understand this is Minecraft, but I think Galacticraft should be somewhat realistic in this sense. It just doesn't make any sense to "land" on Jupiter, considering the intense gravity and lack of solid surface. Same goes Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, there's no surface. Just as OpelSpeedster said above, just because this is Minecraft doesn't mean you should abandon all logic.

Maybe the gas giants could be in a separate add-on. Separate from the planets and moons where you can realistically land on and explore.

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
I understand this is Minecraft, but I think Galacticraft should be somewhat realistic in this sense. It just doesn't make any sense to "land" on Jupiter, considering the intense gravity and lack of solid surface. Same goes Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, there's no surface. Just as OpelSpeedster said above, just because this is Minecraft doesn't mean you should abandon all logic.

Maybe the gas giants could be in a separate add-on. Separate from the planets and moons where you can realistically land on and explore.
Ok your right about one thing that minecraft shold be more realistic but imagine who nice it will be jupiter with hyrogen and helium solid surface and with grey metallic hydrogen seas

Last edited:

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
I think it should be only metallic hydrogen but minecrafters will love it more if it with metallic hydrogen seas and helium and nitrogen solid because I wouldn't like it if it was like this

4021584945_c351b20b11_z.jpg

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Well, I believe the issue here is not to make things realistic but how realistic they should be compared to our "reality". What is the threshold, the limit?

That being said, I find quite interesting the idea of not landing on the Gas Giant themselves, but on their Moons. If their environment is similar to the reported by NASA/ESA/etc., imagine how many kids could "learn" about the Sol System, and not only their planets but their moons too, some of which could be very fascinating. I don't know how is Basic Education (Elementary, High School) on your countries, but at least on mine, they usually neglect to give any importance to the moons of the planets, only to the planets themselves. I've found already many articles that relate Minecraft not only for the entertainment of the elders but also as a tool for the kids to learn about stuff in general, despite not everything being so "realistic" for game/fun purposes.

If the modder wishes to take some time, the moons could even have a "view" to the gas-based planet itself, just like the Moon and the Earth.

Maybe there should be a poll or something, as long as the developers are willing to hear our suggestions on this particular field, of course.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I voted both. There's no reason to believe that we'll never land on Jupiter or at least probe the atmosphere. The mod is based in Sci-Fi. Anything is possible.

Hell even landing on the sun could one day be reality. Stargate Universe showed us one possible use/method.