Lets make new people not crash!

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Ok - I need to update my story with additional suggestions....

So far, I land on the moon & break my fuel loader. Friend crashes trying to save me. Our spawn points are too far away to recover extra oxygen gear from my rocket/lander. Well...

She brought everything we could need on the moon and then some. We have a mod that leaves a "grave" with a dead players inventory, so cool, we can recover everything once we can get oxygen gear to get back to the crash site. So, I got a server admin to reset my spawn to Overworld, got back to my base, built a new rocket, loader, etc... and I take off back to the moon to rescue ourselves. I am landing exactly where I first landed, which is exactly where she crashed, which is now a deep crater filled with at least 6-9 mobs fighting over the block I am going to land on. So, I land "safely" in the bottom of this crater, but of course, after three creeper explosions the "grave" of my friend is gone along with all that inventory. The landing site is now not only a crash deep, but three more creepers deep as well - exposing it to underground cave systems that seem to have mobs day and night. I built a flat area above the crater - hopefully it will suit future landings(crashes?). Any future landings would have been really, really bad - likely making the crater even deeper with each landing.

So, additional suggestions...
-Have mobs either not aggro until after exiting the lander (looks like mobs aggro to the landing spot as soon as the moon loads), or have lander squish mobs under it, or have lander thrusters burn/knock back mobs under it. Or allow an option to wait in orbit until daylight before descending in the lander. *Edit: ....Or add a "clock" for the moon.
-Vary the landing location a little bit - maybe every visit, maybe just each player, maybe relative to overworld launch coordinates. Maybe a craftable "landing pad" for future landings. Or allow the lander to move a bit on decent. Landing in the same location seems to be problematic - at least after a crash or creeper welcoming party.
-An Overworld "landing pad" could be good as well. Not sure what the return location rules are, but on my return trip I landed a short ways east and south of my take-off - right on the edge of a tall tree-covered cliff. As I am going up to get to the parachest stuck in a tree, I did not see the creeper coming down the cliff that beat me to it. BOOM!

Having really bad luck with this mod so far. But I will probably build a 4th rocket and try again. Nothing else could possibly go wrong, right?

You can already move in the lander just like you can move the rocket while launching.

The overworld landing co-ordinates are always exactly where you left off. It's even kind of annoying to have that stack of parachests pile up.