Life Support HUD changes

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
(Totally cosmetic change)

Life_Support_HUD.png

(an example of Life Support HUD - on the upper-right corner)

Current:
The Life Support HUD is dimension-dependent.

It is always shown if you are in any GC dimension, even if you are not using the Breathing Equipment in an air-filled room. I'm not sure if it's shown in breathable planets from GC addons as well.

If you are in the Overworld above y=450, the breathing equipment is also required to avoid suffocation at high altitudes. Nonetheless, the life support HUD is not shown (not essential, unless you're using mods that allow you to go or fly hight up there).

Proposal: The said HUD would be inventory-dependent. I'm basing on the idea that it is the equipment that measures the player's vital signs and shows the meters on a torso-mounted display or an astronaut wristband.

The HUD is always shown, regardless the dimension, if the player is using the Oxygen Gear. If the Oxygen Gear is on, it checks the Oxygen Tanks to show the air levels on the HUD.

This means that:
  • The life support HUD is shown in the Overworld if you're using the breathing equipments. Say, it's a way to test the equipments before leaving the "Earth".
  • You can hide the life support HUD if you're in an air-filed room by taking off the equipments, in any GC dimension.

Potential issues:

• The player won't be able to tell he's freezing or fried to death, unless he presses E and sees his status effects, and why (you are using an invalid thermal protection, dummy!).
Note: The screen alert "Invalid Oxygen Setup" doesn't depend on the life support HUD.

Alternative idea:
due to the potential issues and probably this is a better approach.

A small button in the GC inventory or a config option that cycles through the following modes:
  1. HUD and screen alerts always shown in GC dims (default mode), currently in use;
  2. HUD and screen alerts shown only if using the breathing equipment (test/realism mode);
  3. Always hide them (too dangerous? a.k.a. Darwin mode :>).

----

(Probably I'll merge this thread with Ambient oxygen indicator on the HUD)

Last edited:
Reactions: SnailsAttack

Srsam

May 19, 2017
That sounds like a good idea, though I was wondering if there could be scripting so if you go under water on Earth (and only Earth) you use x10 or x20 more oxygen as you would on any other planet so you don't lose air and start to suffocate. Does that sound like a good idea?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I was wondering if there could be scripting so if you go under water on Earth (and only Earth) you use x10 or x20 more oxygen as you would on any other planet so you don't lose air and start to suffocate.
Oh that is a different issue. I'm proposing changes on the user interface as to the life support head-up display (I added an image above) and screen messages.

What you are suggesting is about using oxygen gear underwater. I suggest posting here: https://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/oxygen-gear-doesnt-work-underwater.1148/