Linux Server Possible?

wh33t

Dec 7, 2013
Hey GCForums,

I'm trying to set up a linux server with galacticcraft on it and I see that in order to install I might need forge which I don't believe will run on linux, especially not from the command line but if it's possible I'd love to know how.

Thanks!

wh33t

Dec 7, 2013
Doesn't forge require a graphical front end? I do not have a graphical front end. In which case how would Wine help me?

Edit: Thanks for helping btw! It's very appreciated.

Puggy04

Jul 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada
www.mobocracyFTB.com
I run an entire Forge server with Galacticraft on Ubuntu. I'm not sure how this would translate to a client side process but I know you can run MC with Forge and Galacticraft in the Linux environment. Also DO NOT install Wine on your server unless you want to deal with lag from the resource whore that windows drivers are.

wh33t

Dec 7, 2013
I run an entire Forge server with Galacticraft on Ubuntu. I'm not sure how this would translate to a client side process but I know you can run MC with Forge and Galacticraft in the Linux environment. Also DO NOT install Wine on your server unless you want to deal with lag from the resource whore that windows drivers are.

Do you use a graphical front end? I'm just using command line.

Linrox

Jun 22, 2014
MCPC+ with Forge works fine been running my server on SUSE12.3 for a long time. no front end needed. just use commend line to start the mcpc jar file with the java parameters.
no issues.

jasonB221

Jul 27, 2013
Lost in Space
What you can do is upload your forge universal installer, put it in the directory you want, and run java -jar <name of forge jar>.jar --installServer

The command is case sensitive btw.

Jason B.

Jan 11, 2015
I would highly recommend starting the minecraft server from within a 'screen' session. It allows you the setup a command line session, then detach/reattach at a later time, while leaving the minecraft server running the entire time in the background. Great for remote hosts that you ssh into.

Video as a quick example:

Screen Quick Reference: http://aperiodic.net/screen/quick_reference

The .screenrc file I use to create two virtual console's (named MCServer & top) in screen plus have them labeled at the bottom.
Code:
# Remove startup message
startup_message off
# Turn whole-screen-flash-on-tab-complete "feature"
vbell off
# Window list at the bottom. hostname, centered tabs and redmarked active windows
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string '%{= kG}[ %{G}%H %{g}][%= %{=kw}%?%-Lw%?%{r}(%{W}%n*%f%t%?(%u)%?%{r})%{w}%?%+Lw%?%?%= %{g}][%{B}%Y-%m-%d %{W}%c %{g}]'
# Default screens (uncomment below for default screen sessions to run on screen (-t sets the title for each screen session)
screen -t MCServer      0
screen -t top  1
(Just put this in a file named .screenrc in your home directory)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Anyone thinking of running a Linux server, be careful about which Java libraries you use - there is a bug in OpenJDK (the library normally included in Linux distros) which crashes Galacticraft; you need to use the standard JRE from Oracle.