Liquid Hydrogen as Rocket Fuel

How do you rate this idea?

• I want to get down with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate it!

• I would settle for nothing less than casting it into the fires of Mount Doom from whence it came!

• Total voters

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Earlier the other day, I was on the web, and learned that liquid hydrogen is used as a fuel for most rockets. So I got to thinking how much of a great idea it would be to either replace the current rocket fuel with liquid hydrogen, or implement it as a better source of rocket fuel.

When and if it is added, it will look like a silvery blueish liquid, and generate on Jupiter or Saturn, (by the way, there is a massive ocean under Jupiter and Saturn's surfaces in real life, but all of you guys are probably astronomy geeks, and I don't need to tell you that! :D), and all planets that contain hydrogen in large quantities. Even planets that have it as a solid. (To make up for the solid examples, you could put it in a machine.) When Micdoodle-8 adds Jupiter and Saturn to his mod, as he said he would be adding all of the planets in our solar system to his mod. The reason why I intend for liquid hydrogen to only generate on Jupiter and Saturn if it is added is because I intend for liquid hydrogen to be used as a better source of fuel than the current yellow rocket fuel in galacticraft. :p

Keep in mind that this is merely bare-bones. Mic can tweak my suggestion to his heart's content if he adds it, or is even interested in the first place. I emphasize that this is just a simple idea, therefore I won't type up an extravagant essay with pictures illustrating it. I have provided a simple description of my idea, which I feel is sufficient.

Thanks, Android994

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Personally I'm fine with oil, but I wouldn't mind if more option got featured. When it comes to rocket design there're many types of potential fuels. There're also various types of oxidizers, but that's something that isn't featured in GC at this point.

Indeed, liquid hydrogen is a common type of rocket fuel that provides superior efficiency over any known fossil types of fuel. Although its disadvantage is its harder to contain and doesn't offer the same powerful lifting capacity as its fossil counterpart, kerosene. For that reason it's actually very uncommon for space rockets to be solely fueled on liquid hydrogen without the help of SRBs. The only exception I know of is the Delta IV Heavy.

A combination is the most common option, with for example the historical Titan and Saturn rocket family using kerosene for the first stage while the upper stages used liquid hydrogen.

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
When I discovered that liquid hydrogen is used in the process of making rocket fuel, I didn't research farther into the matter. After hearing you tell me that liquid hydrogen isn't the only ingredient in most rocket fuels, I am starting to think that replacing galacticraft's current rocket fuel with liquid hydrogen isn't such a great idea; I will, however, stick with my idea of implementing it as a better source of fuel.

I also like your idea of adding oxidizers to galacticraft, which would make the mod more challenging. In my opinion, all of the details that go into space flight should be implemented into galacticraft.

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
Liquid hydrogen is a by-product is water under electrolysis so launching your self all the way to jupiter is sort of pointless. But still, this is minecraft, so why not!

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
The whole point of the idea is to have a better source of fuel, anyway. It would make sense for liquid hydrogen to be acquired on Jupiter. Ask yourself this: what else could you get on Jupiter that would be useful other than liquid hydrogen?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Please, don't forget to check this topic (http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...-ideas-read-this-before-posting-an-idea.3677/) before posting an idea. Using hydrogen as fuel has been suggested a few times, you people might feel interested in reading similar topics to add more to the discussion.

(To those who get scared every time I appear: idea reposts are locked or deleted when they don't add anything new or lack any redeeming value. This topic is not the case, added in the list.)

Reactions: MoltonMontro

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Please, don't forget to check this topic (http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...-ideas-read-this-before-posting-an-idea.3677/) before posting an idea. Using hydrogen as fuel has been suggested a few times, you people might feel interested in reading similar topics to add more to the discussion.

(To those who get scared every time I appear: idea reposts are locked or deleted when they don't add anything new or lack any redeeming value. This topic is not the case, added in the list.)

So what your saying is that my suggestion won't be removed from the forum, or will it?

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
No. I said this topic is not a case for removal. o.o
Okay; thanks for telling me about suggestion redundancy, and here's a link to a list of all of my ideas except one. (I will add it to the list soon). Can you tell me if any of them are in danger of removal please? Thank you.

Okay; thanks for telling me about suggestion redundancy, and here's a link to a list of all of my ideas except one. (I will add it to the list soon). Can you tell me if any of them are in danger of removal please? Thank you.
I just updated the list, it now features all of my ideas, and links to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
What list?

EDIT: this? http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...tions-updated-for-every-new-idea-i-have.3934/

You don't need to post another list to repost all your ideas while we have an official list of ideas that were posted multiple times.
Yes, that is the list that I was talking about, and why did you lock it? If you thought I was trying to "advertise," you are mistaken. I was merely trying to give a list of all of my suggestions, and to provide links to all of them. A lot of other members have also posted all of their suggestions on one thread, which was the same thing that I did.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Hey, why'd you lock my post? If you thought I was trying to "advertise," you are mistaken. I was merely trying to give a list of all of my suggestions, and to provide links to all of them. A lot of other members have also posted all of their suggestions on one thread, which was the same thing that I did.
Yes people post multiple ideas on one thread (something that is already bad per si, because who want to comment can't focus on them all in a single thread), but people should not post a list of all ideas they have already posted elsewhere.

Also, the forum itself provides a list of all topics ever posted, as well as your profile page.

Last edited:

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Yes people post multiple ideas on one thread (something that is already bad per si, because who want to comment can't focus on them all in a single thread), but people should not post a list of all ideas they have already posted elsewhere.

Also, the forum itself provides a list of all topics ever posted, as well as you profile page.
I don't understand the difference between advertising and listing multiple posts. I didn't know if that was considered advertising or not. All I was trying to do was provide easy access to all of my suggestions, as I said.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I don't understand the difference between advertising and listing multiple posts.
"Hey guys! these are my ideas, check them all" this is what you do when you post a topic calling people to read other topics you have posted.

Simply put, people will use the threads where the ideas were posted. No need to announce your ideas that you have already posted on another topics. That's why "One subject per topic" rule is good, so I posted that list of frequently suggested ideas. We have got enough redundancy already.

EDIT:
A tip: you can write a discrete list of "My other ideas you might want to read" in the end of 1st post of your suggestion topics. It's a more elegant solution, nobody wants to refrain other people from seeing your ideas, but we don't need the same stuff being posted multiple times. As I have said "idea reposts are locked or deleted when they don't add anything new".

EDIT2:
Just in case,
This topic is not the case, added in the list.
When I said that, I wasn't asking you to compile a list of your ideas (as suggests this post, you could've simply asked me to check your latest posts or used my profile page). What I meant was I added your topic in the list of frequently suggested ideas.

If you have any doubts about this matter, please use private message or profile post. We don't want to derail this topic even more. Back on-topic. :)

Last edited:

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
"Hey guys! these are my ideas, check them all" this is what you do when you post a topic calling people to read other topics you have posted.

Simply put, people will use the threads where the ideas were posted. No need to announce your ideas that you have already posted on another topics. That's why "One subject per topic" rule is good, so I posted that list of frequently suggested ideas. We have got enough redundancy already.

EDIT:
A tip: you can write a discrete list of "My other ideas you might want to read" in the end of 1st post of your suggestion topics. It's a more elegant solution, nobody wants to refrain other people from seeing your ideas, but we don't need the same stuff being posted multiple times. As I have said "idea reposts are locked or deleted when they don't add anything new".

EDIT2:
Just in case,

When I said that, I wasn't asking you to compile a list of your ideas (as suggests this post, you could've simply asked me to check your latest posts or used my profile page). What I meant was I added your topic in the list of frequently suggested ideas.

If you have any doubts about this matter, please use private message or profile post. We don't want to derail this topic even more. Back on-topic. :)

Oh, I see. If someone wanted to take a look at all of my suggestions, they could just go to my profile. Thank you.