Maintenance Free Oxygen Production - SSP

barreyi

Jan 14, 2015
Hey everyone, I wanted to share a way of creating oxygen with zero maintenance once it has been setup. I've done it in survival in Galacticraft 2 and it should work in Galacticraft 3. It won't work on Forge 1.8 because of one of the changes to redstone repeaters.

The theory is pretty simple. An oxygen collector can use wheat to create oxygen. The problem is that when wheat finishes growing it will stop producing oxygen. The only way you can keep wheat from growing is to force a light level of 8 on the wheat. This is where redstone repeaters come into play. Until 1.8, redstone repeaters (when powered) give off a light level of 9 and each adjacent block will have a light level of 8. This allows wheat to stay planted but not to grow thus continually producing oxygen. Below is an example of one way to lay out the oxygen farm.

upload_2015-1-14_9-55-9.png

The glass is used to keep monsters from spawning (monsters do not spawn on glass blocks). This will produce 80 points of air per second. Since Oxygen collectors will only collect oxygen from 5 blocks out in any direction you won't be able to push this out too much farther unless you intend on adding more collectors but since the 5 block limit includes downward we can stack these layers. Look to the example below.

upload_2015-1-14_10-4-10.png

The cobble is used as protection against meteorites as well as to shut out natural light. With this you can create 240 points of oxygen per second per farm. If you want to use an oxygen sealer then you'd need to create at least two farms. There is a lot of resources required for this to work but it definitely is better than replacing and harvesting trees/leaf blocks in my opinion.

Resources required for one farm (3 layers):
168 Dirt
168 Wheat Seeds
120 Redstone Repeaters
24 Redstone
1 Redstone Torch (for powering the repeaters)
144 blocks of your choice for placing redstone/repeaters
121+ blocks to cover farm

I'll upload some pictures of it in practice once I get home. Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any questions or improvements I can make.

barreyi

Jan 14, 2015
I'm posting some pictures of the setup so people can better understand the idea.

This is the oxygen farm from the outside.
upload_2015-1-14_23-1-4.png

I don't want any meteors coming and ruining the hard work.

Here is the top layer of one of the farms.
upload_2015-1-14_23-2-18.png

And last is the bottom layer.
upload_2015-1-14_23-3-15.png

This shows the glass on the outside to keep hostiles from spawning and how the water goes from one layer to the next.

I hope this is helpful for someone.

sndeang51

Jan 18, 2015
interesting design, although it seems a bit more costly than a standard leaf-based collection system, or am I missing something?

Reactions: SirKillz

barreyi

Jan 14, 2015
It is definitely more costly than a leaf-based collection system, the major benefit is that it is entirely maintenance free. Since setup I haven't had to touch it and it continues producing oxygen at exactly the same level.

Chiquillo

Feb 3, 2015
I'm actually impressed, would you be able to stack 3 oxygen collectors on top of each other instead of making 3 layers or would that not produce as much oxygen?

barreyi

Jan 14, 2015
I never thought of that, I don't know how oxygen collectors work next to each other. I have a feeling that they have to be separated slightly so there would be a need to increase the size in order to get the same amount of oxygen but I'm not sure. I'll have to test this out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chiquillo

Feb 3, 2015
You'd obviously consume more power but that's how I've been getting enough oxygen to more massive rooms and multiple distributors.

Requia

Feb 20, 2015
won't wheat refuse to grow without sunlight? you could get a lot more with just torches, and a cobble ceiling to block out the sun.