Mars and other dims world gen

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Hi,
I have small modpack and I want to generate some more things in Mars and so to motivate people going there more. But even I have this in config :

# If this is enabled, other mods' ores and all other features (eg. plants) can generate on the Moon and planets. Default: false
B:"Generate other mods features on planets"=true

Nothing is generated on Mars or Moon or anywhere else. Only GC blocks, nothing more, nothing less.
Is there any other way to get this working?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If that setting is set to true, it depends on the other mods after that. For example, other mods will normally search for plain stone to replace with their ores, and they will not find any plain stone on Mars.

On my To Do list is to add a new config to allow Galacticraft itself to generate other mods ores on the planets, but that will be a few weeks off as there are other priorities.

There are also some plans to maybe add other worldgen features to Mars, but those will be even further off. For example, I have in mind SongSpires and maybe boulders, and maybe a mobile Terraformer unit.

For now I think there's a lot to like about Mars once you get used to it - I do most of my testing there because I like the way the sky looks.
- Slimelings are useful once you feed them up, and they can be bred into a range of pretty colours
- The new gas machines are designed so that a fuel manufacturing plant can be set up on Mars, needing no raw materials except electricity and water, on any other planet other raw materials (coal or charcoal) will be needed
- Desh is needed for most of the more advanced Galacticraft items and machines
- Desh armour has been buffed, it now has a unique knockback reduction effect which players will find very useful fighting mobs or in PVP

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Hi,
That would be great to have such as possibilities.
However my look to Mars is that it is in mid or late game location, so it would have late game things to mine. In my modpack, tiers and machinery is defined by GregTech (however some Mekanism or TE tiers can have similar) , for making aluminium, you need mid game technologies, etc. So by now, if players are going to Mars, they dont want to find copper, tin or iron. They need more aluminium, nickel, chrome, iridium, etc...If there is possibility to write down ore IDs to be generated as other ores, it would be good. Because - then every server admin can define STORYLINE to let people progress with NEED to go to Mars. Without that - they just say - is worth it? No? Okay, no Mars.

However, technic things:
When you will impleneting it, please consider, that some ores are TE, not only normal blocks. So also being able to generate TE would be great.

And for when it will be : well, world gen things would be great as first ones, because then we can generate worlds and start to play. Other things can be filled in everytime. But Dont rush, make it slower, but better :)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
To be clear: I plan to add configs so that modpack creators + server owners can specify exactly which ores from other mods will be generated on Galacticraft planets, can be different for each planet.

Reactions: Hanakocz

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Suggestion for asteroid dimension and in general:
I would like to see something with djustable percentages of oregen for each ore, for asteroids I would like to have two groups (because there are two types of asteroid rock, one in core of big stones, which I would like to be richer, and normal one on surfaces and all around for more usual ores)
And probably would be good idea to make all generation in one separate configs, because as it is now - it is really "lost" in other lines...:)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The planned feature to add oregen of other mods ores will include some type of percentage or rarity value.

However, please be aware that I am not going to code any special features just to support GregTech. What will be coded will be designed for all mods - for example, IC2, Thermal Expansion, Tinker's Construct. If it works for GT also, great, but don't ask me for anything special for GT.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
I am aware of that and it is OK. Even I play with GT as primary mod, for oregen we nowadays use PFAA: Geologica :)Which has normal ores. (so i can use GT ores, or PFAA ores with same results) However, better to wait what will be done and then we will see.

MC_Pitman

Sep 15, 2014
I am also looking to generate mod ores on the GC planets (mostly using TE) and look forward to the config options. Are there any plans to allow customization of mob spawning and the ability to stop certain mobs from suffocating?

I only ask as I was considering how difficult it would be to enable this myself through modifying and recompiling GC, but if it is somewhere in the pipeline I would obviously prefer to be patient and wait for it.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
No plans to customise mob spawning or suffocation, sorry. If you want to modify GC sources, go right ahead, that type of thing is encouraged - and if you come up with something good to implement this you are welcome to make a pull request or show us your code.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Custom oregen is added in the latest build, GC 3.0.4.211.
Please check it out and give me feedback.
To see it, install version 211 on a server, run it once, then look at core.conf. I hope the parameters give you enough control.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Nice.
If I get it right, I will fill one line with ores, then write down the parameters for these ores. However, some example line for that would be great... :) As I think, it would look somehow like this?
Code:
S:"Other mods ores for GC to generate on the Moon and planets" < 542 /RARE /DEEP /SINGLE
543, 791:6 /UNCOMMON /SHALLOW /STANDARD
    >

Or it is in this style?
Code:
gregtech:gt.blockores:4006 , IC2:blockOreUran

However, I would like to have there one more parameter - the dimension the line will apply to, to make other generation for moon , mars etc (I now have in mind some tiering of materials, not letting all spawn everywhere)

Last edited:

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
The only thing I still miss...config for aluminium and other ores for Asteroids. For now I don´t know, if I want them here (maybe I will keep them) , but as you have configs for all ores in all dimensions (mars, moon, overworld), it would be also nice to have the one for asteroids.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You must put one ore in each line, like this:
Code:
S:"Other mods ores for GC to generate on the Moon and planets" <
  542 /RARE /DEEP /SINGLE
  791:6 /UNCOMMON /SHALLOW /STANDARD
    >

It's the exact same format as used for other block IDs in the core config, like the External Sealable IDs and the Detectable IDs (used for the Sensor Glasses). You can see examples under the Detectable IDs. Of course those other things do not have the /RARE etc parameters.

The format can be either 791:6 or IC2:blockOreUran. Both work. But the second approach - with the full block name - is better, because the block ID can be different in each different saved map. If you use the first approach - with the block ID number - Galacticraft will actually give you a log message in the startup informing you of the full block name to change it to. (That is supposed to make things easier for us human beings because you can look up the ID number in NEI, set it in the config, then restart and Galacticraft tells you the name to use.)

You can omit the "/STANDARD" parameter because that is the default for that setting - it will generate the same way if you leave it out.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I would like to have there one more parameter - the dimension the line will apply to, to make other generation for moon , mars etc (I now have in mind some tiering of materials, not letting all spawn everywhere)
I am reluctant to make this because I think it makes it too complicated for all the other players who are not as smart as you. For example, the config for mars etc would then be found in a different config file, i.e., mars.conf. In future there will be more planets, maybe 10 or more eventually if you include the moons. It will be crazy complicated for players to have different oregen settings for each planet.

But what I can maybe do is make this whole other mod oregen disableable per-planet - so a planet either makes some ores using it, or makes nothing apart from GC ores. That would also make sense for future planets which could have totally different terrain underground.

The only thing I still miss...config for aluminium and other ores for Asteroids. For now I don´t know, if I want them here (maybe I will keep them) , but as you have configs for all ores in all dimensions (mars, moon, overworld), it would be also nice to have the one for asteroids.
Asteroids work in a different way, really there is no standard worldgen instead it just makes asteroids. Sometimes the smaller asteroids are made out of ores instead of rock. I am looking at whether it is possible to pick up these config settings when generating asteroids, not sure yet.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Well, with these dimensions....the best for not make mess to normal people but still let advanced people have more nice setup - just make it as other parameters you did for density - no param = all dimensions, some dimension stated on that line = for particular dimension
Then it will be flawless:D

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
OK, your idea was a good one, makes for a simple way to do this.

I added parameters '/ONLYMARS' and '/ONLYMOON'. If you include those on the line, then the ore should generate on Mars only, or on the Moon only. If you want both Moon and Mars, then either do not use either parameter (then the ore will generate in all GC planet dimensions including future planets) or include your ore twice on two different lines, once for Moon, once for Mars.

Asteroids is still to come - currently these oregen settings will have no effect in the Asteroids. I will look at this again when we do an overhaul of the Asteroid worldgen and oregen code generally, some time in the next few weeks.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Nice, thank you. Now it is really fully configurable for everybody who wants to change it. :)
Now I will test it sometimes soon and I will post here the results. :)

EDIT: Meant after jenkins will get new build, of course :)