Mars sky and atmosphere

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Superkalasnikov, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Space Viking

Space Viking Member

Truly isn't NASA the sole space agency to have explored Mars. During the Space Race, the Soviet Union had a few probes sent themselves to Mars. I'd recommend checking out through this exclusive catalog of Soviet Mars images.

In modern times, however, we got Mars Express lead by ESA, which is completely independent from NASA.

Now, why pictures of Mars is often represent with color inaccuracies isn't exactly a part of a secret conspiracy that wants us to think Mars is literally a red rock. Ezer has already given us a basic explanation, but still, it's often space agencies are using a red color filter when taking pictures of Mars – and with a good reason: It's a technique used to increase contrast and bring out terrain features that might had otherwise been hard to distinguish. In fact, Amateur astronomers are doing this themselves.

2. Superkalasnikov

I love how intelligent persons(honestly) come here talk about Mars. :) after i was away for weeks now its good to see my suggestion isn't rejected. How did you do the red sky? Can you give it to me too? Because i don't like the black sky too much...

3. Dinammar

Dinammar Member

My mind=blown

4. Superkalasnikov

claudiofm is a conspiracy theorist it seems.

obsidianpower790 likes this.
  5. Space Viking

Space Viking Member

One important thing I forgot was to link the article The Colors of Mars.

Color calibration is actually a pretty complicated process. Since there is none on Mars to actually judge the environment, the camera calibration has to be remotely achieved with the help of a color chart and a lot of testing.

When speaking of it, on page 2 of the same article, the sundial of 'Spirit' makes an appearance. However, there the lower right corner is blue just like it's supposed to be. I'm really getting a feeling the earlier shown "proof" about it suddenly being red on Mars is in reality a forgery made by some conspiracy theorists. I would like to see the actual original footage of that image before even considering it could have just simply been a failed calibration of colors.

By that, those "false" photos of the Martian surface is actually early pictures taken by the Viking landers (whereas the former photo is infact the first color image ever taken on Mars). Like explained in the article "The Colors of Mars", they had a lot of tweaking and calibration performed on the landers' cameras. They where the first probes to have successfully landed on Mars after all. On NASA's official site, you may even find an alternate version of the latter image, and that's just one example.

I also don't know what's up with those images conspiracy theorists are claiming to be showing the "true colors" of Mars. Only because they applied some auto white balance to the original pictures it doesn't make them "real". The process of white balancing colors simply assumes something in the scene is white, so it's really just a simple retouch based on a mathematical formula found in many image editing softwares.

By the way, that supposed amateur photo of Mars is actually an image taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. This is how Mars would actually look like seen from a decent amateur telescope:

[​IMG]

#45 Space Viking, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    obsidianpower790 likes this.
  6. bart74

bart74 Member

when will mars have an atmosphere?
    I think it's kinda boring to see stars during day like on the moon,instead of having an orange sky (grey at sunset)

7. hamzah

hamzah Member

I wish he will add an atmosphere
    Not just the dead sky

8. OpelSpeedster

OpelSpeedster Member

Agreed, that makes Mars feel...'dead'.

9. MasterOanarchY

MasterOanarchY Moderator
    Staff Member

It will have one when one is programmed.

10. hamzah

hamzah Member

Hopefully he is thinking about doing it.

11. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

#51 Ezer'Arch, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  12. bart74

bart74 Member

13. PetarGalacticraft123

Sun and stars on mars are only visible on far view distance.

14. Dinammar

Dinammar Member

Yeah

15. spacet&b

spacet&b Member

Don't forget the sunset :-D

Attached Files:

16. spacet&b

spacet&b Member

Also, you might be able to see the Earth from mars.
    (It's in the hexagon)

Attached Files:

17. spacet&b

spacet&b Member

Isn't that picture from Kerbal Space Programme?

18. Superkalasnikov

Program* And yes it is!

19. Bulldog703

Bulldog703 Member

Hello
    So I was experimenting with mars, and I thought about how the mars atmosphere shows up as you launch away from mars. I thought maybe when you looked up on mars, there could be a slightly transparent sky so you can still see earth in the distance, but it also looks like there is a sky