Martian Biomes

thomas502318

Jun 18, 2013
With Mars just released, and there not being any Mars-Unique biomes, I thought I would share my ideas.

Carbon Snow Biome-
As we all know, it will likely never snow water on Mars. But, it does (rarely) snow carbon on Mars. A martian biome taking advantage of this phenomenon whould be interesting. Perhaps a combination of H2O ice and carbon ice along with mars surface stone should generate on the surface.

Dried Riverbed-
A biome similar to the current martian surface, but with "Moist Stone" as the biome's filler block. Moist stone should be tillable. Spawn rates of Sludeling Eggs could be increased here.

Mars-
Standard world generation that we have now.

Water Colorizer-
Any biome can have a specific water color set, any water on mars should be colorized slightly red.

Flashy-3

Aug 10, 2013
Rochester, New York
Don't forget

Snowy Plains-
Mars has h20 ice on its polar caps. so this biome contains snow patches, underneath that is frozen surface. And on the ocation, liquid water under the ice, because there could be liquid water in underground caves

thomas502318

Jun 18, 2013
I like the idea, maybe the CO2 and Snowy Plains Biome could be combined to be Martian Tundra.

Martian Tundra-
Top Block: Frozen Mars Rock (Similar Properties to ice, half as slippery)
Filler Block: Mars Sub-Surface
Surface Generation: Snow and Carbon Snow. Carbon Snow is very similar to Snow, but with a slightly darker texture. Both generate in patches, semi-common.
Snow Storm: Similar to vanilla Snow, except with Carbon snow and snow populating the surface.
Decomposition: To be more realistic, Snow and Carbon Snow should decompose in 3-5 Minecraft Days. Just enough time for the next snowstorm.

Last edited:

thomas502318

Jun 18, 2013
Actual large quantities of liquid water is unrealistic. Perhaps water could generate in veins of 1-3 like an ordinary ore. About as rare as lapis, and only generates close to the surface.

Karazanik

Aug 28, 2013
Well, actually Mars could be full of live maaaaany years ago, even before humans left their homes and bananas on trees. But as we all can see - it's one, big desert now. Dried river's are possible sight on mars tho

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
Hmm, i have scientist skin on minecraft, i do some UE modded survival gameplays, i played tekkit and voltz both, but i dont know what the **** this guys are talking about..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Well, actually Mars could be full of live maaaaany years ago, even before humans left their homes and bananas on trees. But as we all can see - it's one, big desert now. Dried river's are possible sight on mars tho
That's why I think GC Mars could use exactly the same terrain generation of Overworld but with no liquid water, no wildlife, no grass, no trees... It would be a desert version of Overworld.

Karazanik

Aug 28, 2013
That's why I think GC Mars could use exactly the same terrain generation of Overworld but with no liquid water, no wildlife, no grass, no trees... It would be a desert version of Overworld.
Well, when mars atmosphere was gone, meteorites destroyed landscape, leaving only massive volcanoes, and craters.

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Huh? Gone? Every planet and moon has an atmosphere,But they are hyper thin. Just like Mars does. Mars May have supported life long before humans even evolved greatly. I actually believe Martian race escaped the planet on its destruction, Leaving their scorched homeplanet behind.

Karazanik

Aug 28, 2013
Huh? Gone? Every planet and moon has an atmosphere,But they are hyper thin. Just like Mars does. Mars May have supported life long before humans even evolved greatly. I actually believe Martian race escaped the planet on its destruction, Leaving their scorched homeplanet behind.
Maybe... But "super thin" atmoshpere WONT prevent meteorites. Even small ones will hit surface of planet, causing damage. Atmosphere, like Earth one, causes small, or even medium meteorites to burn. Only REALLY small, and big ones can reach surface of Earth.

Flashy-3

Aug 10, 2013
Rochester, New York
Actually it's atmosphere was destroyed by solar flares but, because it's magnetosphere went down when it's poles changed, leaving it vulnerable to a solar flare

Karazanik

Aug 28, 2013
Actually it's atmosphere was destroyed by solar flares but, because it's magnetosphere went down when it's poles changed, leaving it vulnerable to a solar flare
AND AFTER THIS, Meteorites tore apart Mars landscape, leavingbig holes, and biggest mountains

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
The Martian surface does features some similarities to Earth's surface, but it also has some unique features.

The Martian surface has indeed been subjected to a lot of impact events due to its thin atmosphere. However, what's remarkable regarding that matter is the majority of impacts has mainly occurred in the southern hemisphere. That part of Mars is a rough and rocky crater landscape somewhat reminiscence of the Lunar surface. In contrast is the opposing hemisphere relatively unscarred with large open plains. This particular characteristic is known as Martian dichotomy. So in a essence, I guess this can be translated into two dominating categories of biomes, which inbetween would have a various sorts of boundary biomes.

As Mars lacks any notable tectonic motion, there won't be any mountain ranges, so "northen hemisphere biomes" would mostly consist of open plains along with slope streaks and sand dunes. Potentially there can be large low grounds that once where seas. There would also be some occasional volcano formation. Those would be huge due to the apparent absence of tectonic motion and weak gravity once allowed them to grow continuously. They would have a cliff-like boundary. Perhaps volcanoes could be a rich source of various minerals and ores?

Boundary biomes could feature dried out rivers since Mars indeed once had water flowing on its surface. It would be especially cool if they could connect to dried out seas that I mentioned of earlier. Huge canyons would be another features inspired akin to Valles Marineris. Possibly there could be larger version of ravines that's naturally found in regular Minecraft.

Shoon

Sep 9, 2013
What if, we were the ancient Martian race? Who escaped our homeworld and made way to Earth??

And when we arrived, we came in during the age of the Neanderthals. Where we stooped down to their technological level, and reformed?

lol