Mathematically Accurate Gravity for each Planet

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
Greetings,

As you all know, Gravity is the force pushing an object down. Each Planet has it's own gravity. Now it's come to my attention that the gravity for the Moons/Planets of GC may not be mathematically accurate.

First we need a base Gravity.

I will be measuring gravity using blocks/s2 and converting it into m/s2.

As you all know, the jump height in Minecraft is 1 block. Therefore the gravity is 1 block/s2.

1 Block/s2 = 9.8 m/s2

Now to the other planets.....

The Moon is believed to have about 1.620 m/s2.

Therefore, if we do 9.8 / 1.620, the jump height would be around 6.04, or 6 blocks/s2

The current Moon Jump height is around 3.9 blocks, so it's 35% inaccurate

Mars has a gravity is about 3.711 m/s2

9.8 / 3.711 is about 2.64 , so something around 2.64 blocks/s2 would be a good gravity

The current Mars Jump height is around 3.2 blocks/s2, so this is a 17.5% inaccurate gravity.

I don't know if Addon Authors have accurate gravity for their planets, But I find that it would be a good idea to make GC have close-to-real Gravity's of each Planet/Moon.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
Totally agree with you. I tried to make the exact gravity on the planets, but API Galacticraft does not allow.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
Have you tried doing the Math I did above?
Yes. The values set in reality can not enter into the scope of the game. If you do too high a level of gravity, the player hangs in the air, and objects fly up.

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
Yes. The values set in reality can not enter into the scope of the game. If you do too high a level of gravity, the player hangs in the air, and objects fly up.
Like in the Space Dimension?

There must be some sort of If-Statement or variable that prevents it then

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
Like in the Space Dimension?

There must be some sort of If-Statement or variable that prevents it then
Yes. Gravity is exhibited only in one setting. As far as I know, it depends because as written the parameter itself, not matter what value I put.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
Can't you find a way to modify the parameter?
Unfortunately not. Gravity can make stronger or weaker, but the boundaries of this parameter I can not change. This is to inform to the developer. The usual player is hardly interesting.

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
Unfortunately not. Gravity can make stronger or weaker, but the boundaries of this parameter I can not change. This is to inform to the developer. The usual player is hardly interesting.
But can't you use Jump-Boost instead then? It isn't the best long-term solutions however.

Also another Aspect GC ignores is Pressure on each Planet, This is probably harder to code in However.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
But can't you use Jump-Boost instead then? It isn't the best long-term solutions however.

Also another Aspect GC ignores is Pressure on each Planet, This is probably harder to code in However.
The addon can't completely change mod. So it all depends on the developer. Pressure can be realized.

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
The addon can't completely change mod. So it all depends on the developer. Pressure can be realized.
What you have to do is find the pressure in the over-world, which is 1 Atmosphere, or 14.7 PSI.

Mars has 0.087 PSI, or 0.00591999886 Atmospheres(Yeah it's pretty small)

Venus not only has an Atmospheric Pressure of about 90 atmospheres, but also a very high temperature. You would need to be wearing material capable of withstanding the height AND pressure. There is a material that can withstand high-temperatures, like Tungsten, and I think that the Carbyne material can also withstand the pressure.

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
What you have to do is find the pressure in the over-world, which is 1 Atmosphere, or 14.7 PSI.

Venus not only has an Atmospheric Pressure of about 90 atmospheres, but also a very high temperature. You would need to be wearing material capable of withstanding the height AND pressure. There is a material that can withstand high-temperatures, like Tungsten, and I think that the Carbyne material can also withstand the pressure.
As for effects however, I think that increased damage per second would be the best way to to do temperature/pressure. You can even make it realistic. For example, 0 hearts/second = 1 atmosphere

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016

Yes, on this issue it is worth considering. At the moment the addon Vacuum Horizon is in alpha stage. Later I will introduce these changes.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
As for effects however, I think that increased damage per second would be the best way to to do temperature/pressure. You can even make it realistic. For example, 0 hearts/second = 1 atmosphere
By the way Galacticraft allows to take into account the fall damage. Add damage from temperature and pressure will be the same way.

RonFall

Content developer
Vacuum Horizon
May 5, 2016
This is a very useful calculations. I hope the mod author will expand your Galacticraft API.

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
This is a very useful calculations. I hope the mod author will expand your Galacticraft API.

You'll need to variables to do the Math

Both doubles
A: Earth Gravity
- Constant
B: Other Planet

double Block Jump Height = A / B

As for rounding, I'd say the nearest tenth is best.