Mojang is pushing for their new launcher with new Java, what does this mean for mods?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
As of today, I guess all old launchers will spam this with red letters:

You are running on an old version of Java. Please consider using the new Minecraft installer which doesn't require Java, as it may make your game faster.

I'd like to update since performance improvements in MC is most welcome.

I could give it a shot but I'm afraid it would screw up mods and my environment etc. It would take dozens of hours to reinstall and fix everything, if it can be reverted.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The new launcher does not take away your old launcher, so nothing will break. It also imports your username and your existing Forge profiles. "Faster" is inaccurate, it does not make the game faster nor even make Minecraft load faster, the only difference is that on a Windows PC the new launcher starts up 2-3 seconds faster than the old launcher.

Looks like the new launcher has a few bugs still to work out though:
Code:
[14:45:39] [main/ERROR] [LaunchWrapper]: Unable to launch
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
    at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(ArrayList.java:901) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
    at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.remove(ArrayList.java:865) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:117) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Using incremental CMS is deprecated and will likely be removed in a future release

Also its install process is crapola (for a $2.5 billion Microsoft-owned company). It creates a Start Menu item without asking for permission. It creates a desktop shortcut to Minecraft, which will glitch if you already had a desktop shortcut with that name.