Moon day-night cycle should match moon phases in Overworld

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I'd like to talk, precisely, about the duration of a day in the Moon.

First off, the some definitions:

* 1 day = the time between a sunrise and the next. A day in the Earth is 24 hours, while in Minecraft it's 20 minutes (24,000 tics).

* 1 month ~= the time between a new moon and the next new moon, or a full moon and the next, and so on. This is equivalent to 29.5 Earth days, but in Minecraft it is exactly 8 days of 20 minutes.

* The moon keeps the same face turned towards the Earth, that's why the Moon has a visible side (called "Near side") and a hidden side ("Far side"). Due to this fact 1 Moon day = 1 Earth month. Them, when the Moon completes a cycle around the Earth, a day is completed on the Moon. If you land your space ship exactly in the center of the "Near side", the sunrise takes place at the first quarter, the noon at the full moon, the sunset at the last quarter, and the midnight at the new moon.

The idea

However, we are talking about GC's Moon that orbits a Minecraft world, the Overwolrd.

Currently, the CG Moon day cycle has duration of ~28 Minecraft days (28 x 24,000 = 672,000 tics approx. = 9 h 20 min of play time), but we players see that the moon completes its cycle in 8 Minecraft days, as explained here in the wiki.

I propose the day-night cycle in GC Moon should be 8 Overworld days long (192,000 tics = 2 h 40 min of play time) and match the moon phases on Overworld.

Therefore, if I launch a rocket in a full moon day, I know there will be daylight in the Moon; but if I launch in a new moon day, I know the darkness is waiting for me there along with an army of hostile mobs around the landing point.

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
Agreed. Smart.

I'll get you that texture pack at some point this weekend. I still need to finalize a workbench that has a space/tech feel to it but that doesn't seem out of place at the beginning of the game when you're living in a dirt shack.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I got an idea:

I'd like to be able to set in the [planet_name].cfg, the length of a day in tics and if the time on the planet/satellite/station should be synchronized with overworld;

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Thanks for the suggestion, added in the latest build.
Thanks for implementing. I hope I didn't bother anyone because I commented about this suggestion 3 or 4 times in other topics.

As to the latest build (#531), I tried it. The Moon day is still 28 Overworld days long. Did I miss something?

micdoodle8

Administrator
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for implementing. I hope I didn't bother anyone because I commented about this suggestion 3 or 4 times in other topics.

As to the latest build (#531), I tried it. The Moon day is still 28 Overworld days long. Did I miss something?

Forgot to build, it's in the latest build now (532).

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I tried the latest builds, including #566. In fact, the day-night cycle is now 8 days long. Thank you!

But still, I'd like to give it a bit more of realism... more synchronism, I'd say.

Considering the player will always land on the visible side of the moon: when it's full moon, the sun is positioned at the zenith, the sunrises happens in the First Quarter, the sunset at the Last Quarter, and the new moon is the midnight.

moon_phases_diagram.jpg

If the player wants to go to the Moon during its daytime, he needs to do so between the First Quarter and the Last Quarter. In Minecraft, the day 1 is always Full Moon.

For instance, if the player launches a rocket from the Overworld at the 1st day's midnight, he'll find the sun at its zenith.

This is a diagram that I made to show the position of the Sun according the Minecraft Moon phases.

iakhK6d.png

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
I tried the latest builds, including #566. In fact, the day-night cycle is now 8 days long. Thank you!

But still, I'd like to give it a bit more of realism... more synchronism, I'd say.

Considering the player will always land on the visible side of the moon: when it's full moon, the sun is positioned at the zenith, the sunrises happens in the First Quarter, the sunset at the Last Quarter, and the new moon is the midnight.

moon_phases_diagram.jpg

If the player wants to go to the Moon during its daytime, he needs to do so between the First Quarter and the Last Quarter. In Minecraft, the day 1 is always Full Moon.

For instance, if the player launches a rocket from the Overworld at the 1st day's midnight, he'll find the sun at its zenith.

This is a diagram that I made to show the position of the Sun according the Minecraft Moon phases.

iakhK6d.png

This is very interesting.

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com

Look who did his research. :p

19abaranet

Aug 7, 2013
ACTUALLY: 1 day in minecraft is 24 min. in real time
here is the data:
24 minutes| 1 day

19abaranet

Aug 7, 2013
the wiki says 20? but i swear its... was it changed at one point of time 0.o cause i swear its 24! i don't care though :p

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
I think the tricky part here is when you start to measure a day, to when you stop. I believe the wiki measured it on a superflat. although since everything that takes any amount of time in minecraft goes by tick's, then you could just measure that, and do some math.

jasonB221

Jul 27, 2013
Lost in Space
The figure I heard tossed out before was an actual day with the sun up lasts 10 minutes, sunrise and sunset each last 1 minute, and the night with the moon out lasts 8 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes between each sunrise in a world.