Moveable Beacon

Jun 27, 2014
Great mod, enjoying it immensely.

Have you built your base at a great spot on Mars only to have to make the long trek in the dark from the landing site to the base, dodging arrows and spiders with a pack full of supplies? Ever returned to the Overworld, only to watch your chest of hard-fought resources splashdown in the deep, blue sea? Perhaps a solution could be made available!

As a method of changing the landing zone in all dimensions, a buildable block that will function as a homing beacon would be interesting. It should be expensive, and perhaps have the ability to modify its accuracy with additions. Rockets, or player, would have to have a receiver in order for it to function.

Basic Beacon - will allow landing within 256 blocks, 25% chance of between 512 and ~1500 blocks away
Upgraded Beacon - will allow landing within 64 blocks, 15% chance of between 256 and 512 blocks
Advanced Beacon - will allow landing withing 8 block diameter, 5% chance of up to 32 blocks away

This would allow players to be able to not only change their landing site, since sometimes landing sites are not optimal, and in the advanced state, be able to build a landing pad that is almost always landed upon.

By making the blocks expensive, they would be optional, and only used as the player advances base design. The somewhat-randomness of the landing site would make expedition planning a little more important. And by throwing in an error, things would be kept interesting, even in the late game.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your creativity!

Jun 27, 2014
Yes, I have utilized the LC, but that is not exactly what I am talking about.

Manned rocket reentry landing zones lock you to one spot on the dimension map. I would like the ability to move that landing zone to a designated area with graduated CEP for touchdown. A homing beacon with a receiver either in the construction of the rocket or as an advanced radio receiver for secondary inventory would both be needed to take advantage of this option.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
I approve. I wouldn't make it too complicated, though. I think the landing beacons should just have a fixed area of effect (better beacon=larger area) and a fixed landing zone of about 11x11 blocks maybe.

Jun 27, 2014
I approve. I wouldn't make it too complicated, though. I think the landing beacons should just have a fixed area of effect (better beacon=larger area) and a fixed landing zone of about 11x11 blocks maybe.
I see what you are saying, a reverse of my proposal. The addons/upgrades to the device on the ground would allow more accuracy, just as the addition of boosters allow longer rocket flights. So the levels of complexity are in keeping with the current mod design.

Addons decrease (improve) distance to beacon, making the top-level addon allow a landing in a zone similar to what you propose.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for the suggestion. Something similar to this is actually planned, but it's not immediate, it's maybe around item 20 on our list of things to do so please don't expect it too soon. I'm not too sure whether a landing beacon has been suggested on the forum before, I didn't search, but anyhow it's the gameplay elements I am interested in - what it's for, what exactly it can do, and the detailed thinking here about it could work is definitely helpful.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
I think it should operate like an LC, except you could enter the coordinates or what ever input should be used. It would require 1EU/t for the basic, and increase by 1Eu/t every upgrade tier