Movement in space stations

Twylite Fang

Jul 29, 2014
I've recently made a new space station using GC3, and I found that you cannot ascend stairs. So I was wondering if it were possible for a new mechanic, as it were, to be actually coded in, where stairs are treated as usual; if you are standing on the 'ground', you could simply walk up stairs like on the overworld.

~Twylite_Fang

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I've recently made a new space station using GC3, and I found that you cannot ascend stairs. So I was wondering if it were possible for a new mechanic, as it were, to be actually coded in, where stairs are treated as usual; if you are standing on the 'ground', you could simply walk up stairs like on the overworld.

~Twylite_Fang

The way I understand it, since it's still beta, with the new gravity system you don't actually plant your feet yet. I believe you basically still hover directly over the block...or at least that's the way it seems. I know radfast said there is still work to be done with the gravity (edit...) which includes planting your feet on blocks. If I were to venture a guess, I would say that's why you don't walk up stairs because you are actually still floating toward them. Furthermore, I'm assuming that when we will actually be able to walk on the ground stairs should work normally.

Here's what he said:

"@Douglas-Fresh good call, that's exactly it - so if you are free-falling, you will come to a halt if you come within approximately arm's length of any structure.

Like I say, there are two known issues at the moment, which we're looking at fixing:
1. Jumping (or other types of pushing off) is not working. It's intended that when you jump, you will start moving up and keep going forever (until you hit a block).
2. Landing - meaning if you are moving downwards and you hit a block with your feet - is not working, it's intended you should be able to walk normally after you land on a block. If you like, you can imagine the player has velcro shoes or magnetic boots, depending on whether your golden age of scifi is from the 1970s or the 1950s... ! (and no we will not be adding magnetic boots into the game any time soon, so just imagine it for now please!)"

Last edited:

Twylite Fang

Jul 29, 2014
Right now you have to hold shift to actually use stairs. I'm hoping that once GC3 exits beta we will be able to use stairs properly xD