Multiple Possible ideas

The Supermon

Mar 14, 2013
Many things can be done to make the game immersive. Like Eva packs,branching off of the free flight idea. You can shut off your engine in orbit and use an EVA pack to move around. If not, you will float away from your craft and not be able to get back. Plus. On space stations. You have a very small chance of having a debree field come about. You can craft a shield. Or see if your station can take the debree. When a price of debree hits your station, it will shoot the block out into space with a splash damage effect, the more blocks shot off. The larger chance of another debree field impacting your station

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
The concept of RCS jetpacks could actually possess potential for assisting the player in the construction of space stations. It really makes sense to be able to somehow get below the structure without being concerned about falling away from it. It could also be pretty convenient for navigating in rough low gravity worlds (like Miranda). When it comes to higher gravity worlds, perhaps there could still be some usefulness for them if their thrust could be increased at the expense of higher fuel consumption?

I'm however not into the idea of being able to leave the rocket unless you've reached your designated destination.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
The concept of RCS jetpacks could actually possess potential for assisting the player in the construction of space stations. It really makes sense to be able to somehow get below the structure without being concerned about falling away from it. It could also be pretty convenient for navigating in rough low gravity worlds (like Miranda). When it comes to higher gravity worlds, perhaps there could still be some usefulness for them if their thrust could be increased at the expense of higher fuel consumption?

I'm however not into the idea of being able to leave the rocket unless you've reached your designated destination.

Yeah I was just about to say something about the EVA. Wouldn't that mean that Wolfboy's terrible space exploration idea or something similar would have to be implemented?

The Supermon

Mar 14, 2013
i know it has been many months since i created this thread, but i was thinking that when you left your ship, you should have a purpose to be out of the ship, like if the debris field (smaller chance then the station) that your ship could take a set amount of hits, you could get outside and fix it with tools that may be added, or you can just continue to your destination, with a higher chance of your ship gaining a critical failure, this would be: exploding, oxygen tank burst, fuel pods fatally exploding, cabin decompression. just a though :)

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I really like the idea of space debris striking the space station. It would promote more thoughtful build planning having to consider the possibility of emergencies, encouraging life support redundancies and/or emergency response systems. It should be very rare like you said and with a cofig option (possibly adjustable rarity?). It would certainly add a bit of excitement to the space station and give you a serious reason to have that EVA pack aside from just building.

Aug 26, 2013
My only problem with the jetpack is that its fuel is limited... What a about a lower one wich would use compressed air?
Low but nearly infinite. I know that compressing it on space stations is not realistic because it would make 'infinite material' from the nothing but this is Minecraft you know.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Limited fuel is one thing I like about the jetpack. It's not convenient, but neither is needing to refill oxygen tanks. It just adds another layer of immersion. I don't see anything wrong with refilling it in space though if it uses oxygen. I wouldn't consider it infinite since it has a source that becomes depleted after use. Not to mention the electrical power required to operate the machines to make oxygen usage possible.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Limited fuel is one thing I like about the jetpack. It's not convenient, but neither is needing to refill oxygen tanks. It just adds another layer of immersion. I don't see anything wrong with refilling it in space though if it uses oxygen. I wouldn't consider it infinite since it has a source that becomes depleted after use. Not to mention the electrical power required to operate the machines to make oxygen usage possible.
It could be made to require a special reenforced tank since the air would probably need to be more compressed. Just a normal air tank could work, but not as long.

In space it would give you basically flight that's similar to how the character slides on ice. The slide distance would be longer though and slightly reduced in a sealed room or oxygen bubble (friction with air would slow and eventually stop you), and you could move in all 3 dimensions.

On the planets (and the moon) it would only give a super jump type effect. The height and distance of the jumps could depend on the planets gravity.

On the overworld it should be useless except for in/under water.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
It could be made to require a special reenforced tank since the air would probably need to be more compressed. Just a normal air tank could work, but not as long.

In space it would give you basically flight that's similar to how the character slides on ice. The slide distance would be longer though and slightly reduced in a sealed room or oxygen bubble (friction with air would slow and eventually stop you), and you could move in all 3 dimensions.

On the planets (and the moon) it would only give a super jump type effect. The height and distance of the jumps could depend on the planets gravity.

On the overworld it should be useless except for in/under water.

Perhaps crafted by "reinforcing" a Heavy Oxygen Tank with added compressed tin or something along those lines. I like the idea of it only reducing the effects of gravity on planets with little gravity like you said as opposed to negating it altogether since it likely isn't a very powerful jet being used.

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I really like the idea of space debris striking the space station. It would promote more thoughtful build planning having to consider the possibility of emergencies, encouraging life support redundancies and/or emergency response systems.

The good thing is the Moon has crashing meteorites, so the mechanics is already there. If an exposed moonbase built on regular materials receives a direct hit, it will be punctured. I could see precisely the same hazard occurring with orbital debris on a space station. It would sure add a twist to a dimension that's typically safe from hostile mobs.

Perhaps crafted by "reinforcing" a Heavy Oxygen Tank with added compressed tin or something along those lines.

I guess it would involve the use of the composite material Heavy Duty Plating? EVA packs are actually fueled with liquid nitrogen IRL, but since there is currently no such things in GC, there is always room for alternatives. It's just that I'm not sure about using oxygen. If it's stored with that, wouldn't it just be another tier of Oxygen Tank with an even greater capacity? I mean, isn't the light and medium variant already rendered obsolete in favor to the heavy one?

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
Very nice concept really looking forward to it the EVA part everyone wants and the space debris is kinda smart

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
The good thing is the Moon has crashing meteorites, so the mechanics is already there. If an exposed moonbase built on regular materials receives a direct hit, it will be punctured. I could see precisely the same hazard occurring with orbital debris on a space station. It would sure add a twist to a dimension that's typically safe from hostile mobs.

That's exactlyt what I thought. Pretty much the same situation as the Moon, but with debris instead of meteors and possibly less frequent.

The Supermon

Mar 14, 2013
For EVA packs, i would assume they would be reasonably sized pods, or even a life support container, containing the small thrusters, life support, and a relatively small amount of fuel, that can be refueled with rocket fuel, or harvested hydrogen and oxygen that can be made into a slightly more efficient fuel source for rockets , and EVA packs , along with being able to attach RCS thrusters onto certain parts of the station (very very outrageous thought) and you can create a control center that would be used to turn the satellite into an entity (removing yourself and many hard to load blocks) and gain an outside view of the craft, while trying to maneuver away from the asteroid, debris, lost villagers, etc.

The Supermon

Mar 14, 2013
P.S. If micdoodle8 is going to attempt this...than good luck coding it all : / i admit its going to be very tough, so if you will, good luck

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Many things can be done to make the game immersive. Like Eva packs,branching off of the free flight idea. You can shut off your engine in orbit and use an EVA pack to move around. If not, you will float away from your craft and not be able to get back. Plus. On space stations. You have a very small chance of having a debree field come about. You can craft a shield. Or see if your station can take the debree. When a price of debree hits your station, it will shoot the block out into space with a splash damage effect, the more blocks shot off. The larger chance of another debree field impacting your station
Micdoodle had once tweeted that after seeing Gravity he wanted to add space debris.