Addon My 4 space continuation attempt [NO LONGER SUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
Now alot of you have seen me around the galacticraft forums every now and then, mainly when im posting a new suggestion and then vanishing from the site for a while due to irl stuff but today im posting something a little bit different.

Some of you already know about Matt abandoning 4 space to move onto other things he wanted to do and some others most likely have seen me mentioning my attempts to get better at java so I can continue the addon while hes gone since he already said it's fine as long as the one maintaining gives credit where it's due. Ill admit, most of the code I added so far is hacky patches into Matts code but im expecting that to change overtime as I get better at java.

Ive actually been working pretty hard on what little ive got added ever since Matt announced he was done with it and while it might not look like much, im VERY proud I got this far and it gives me the motivation to do even more. I was kinda iffy on when to start up this type of thread about the 'continued version' but I think ive got enough to prove that progress is being made so the thread would be abiding by this sub-forums rules in regards to proof an addon is being actively worked on.

Anyways, enough of me blathering on and lets get to why I started this in the first place: Hera!

Planet selection screen obviously :p
RDywO7a.png

Basic terrain, im still trying to learn how to do multi biome generation so it's just a place holder copy of a forest biome at the moment... got the other biomes implemented in my BiomeBaseGenHera class, just having issues getting them to generate into the world. Ill probably figure something out later on, but this is good enough for now honestly
XPVX3X9.png

Got animals naturally spawning at least, still no monsters yet though since im still sorting my code to make it more optimized. Optimize first, zombies later.
2glUCIh.png

Not sure how this happened but im assuming it's a side effect of a forest only world since I sure didn't code that, either way it looks cool and still works out despite being a single biome world - also space squids! Can never go wrong with space squids.
B52vPLm.png

And finally the sky! I haven't got around to coding up a different colored night sky yet so night time just looks like a darker colored day at the moment... might leave it that way since it looks pretty cool either way.
I totally didn't mean to rhyme that
oErhhAZ.png

Basically what im going for is a completely habitable exoplanet thats like a psudo-overworld in the form of Hera, one of the planets Matt never got to implementing so it was just a registered icon with no world providers at all in the source code. I changed that by making a cloned dimension from the elipse code and changeing ALOT of things to achive this result with my own code. It's looking amazing so far in my opinion... still needs loads more work before it's a stable enough for a playable release but at least it's getting somewhere, right?

Also, thanks to Matt for creating such a wonderful addon and all credit to the base code im working off goes to him

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Update Post:

Colors!

xyX3HPq.png

On another note, ive been attempting to create my first custom mob since im planning to slowly phase out the overworld mobs on Hera with 'alien' counterparts so wish me luck on that front... im gonna need it :/

Also for anyone wondering why I chose these colors, I was gonna go with an brownish black hue and calculate a red sun + green tinted atmospheres plant color spectrum but decided to go with a "theres more oxygen then the overworld, so plants are darker green" logic for simplicitys sake

Last edited:

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Update Post:

I got a mob implemented today, issue im having is trying to work out some bugs in the rendering and item drops as well as setup a food class that stores all Heras food as meta data to sort out some code... I recently learned how to do block and item meta data but apparently trying to store food as meta data is give me quite a bit of trouble...

Would of posted a screenshot of the in progress mob(it's like a purple alien cow thing) but I already closed down eclipse for the day since I spent all day coding so if im able to continue tomorrow ill post an image of it then. I basically imported and upgraded some old codes from my first attempt at my own mod that fell through due to me first starting java back then, and linked them to the 4 space source for the Hera dimension: TL;DR im adapting my own original content into such a way that it will fit to the menatal image of Heras enviroment im working up xD

Also... it's probably a ways off but I want to code a special function for normal cows to breed with the alien ones for a freaky mutant baby, they have similar enough genetics due to similar evolutionary enviroments so they can breed BUT don't expect the baby to come out normal at all, might even code in a random chance for the baby to die before it matures similar to some real life hybrid animal species since what ive got planned for the mutants might be a bit OP without such a chance.

Working on alien versions of wolfs and horses as well at the moment since I thought they would be neat for players to obtain while exploring planet side

Last edited:

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Update Post:
Started coding again this morning but might take a break for the rest of the day, got the food issue sorted out and balanced the hunger floats so thats some progress. I had to temporarily remove the custom model I had planned for the alien cow until I get better at rendering mobs so it's using a custom cow textue and the base minecraft cow model at the moment.

Heres the screenshot of the mob:
OfIp9hm.png

It's called a Glika since ive developed a sofisticated way of making up original mob names... I say random letters really fast and whatever sound that seems like a remotely correct word is that mobs name xD

Reactions: Rabid_Potato

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
I might take a week or so break from coding since Thanksgiving just got done with and im still fighting with multi-biome generation... got all the biomes registered in a proper array but the crash logs I keep getting are saying that Hera is trying to generate a non-existent stronghold(null pointer exception error), something I didn't code in for Hera to do so im still looking for the elusive cause at the moment.

Yay for bug hunting!(sarcasm)

Other then that, I got the "Plok" mob implemented before my attempt at multi-biomes went horribly wrong so that's one good point I guess, still gotta sort out the biome issue before I can work on anything else for a while since the game won't even start at the moment though.

The Plok:
P21oIPB.png

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
When will you release it?
When it doesn't crash 24/7 and Hera is at least somewhat playable in survival xD

Looks nice so far, I remember my first worlds on alpha API's and struggling with it I'm happy to see how far you have gotten.
That means alot to me considering 4 space was the very first galacticraft addon ive ever used, it holds a special place in my nostalgia so im trying to do everything I can to keep what I add conformed to your 'theme'. Doing so is difficult due to my limited java knowledge at the moment but coding the stuff ive got so far is has been a great learning experience!

On another note: Sorry I vanished for a while, between my frantic studys on java to see about fixing world generation and the holidays ive been a bit busy. Ill probably be busy for a maybe a couple more weeks since I just got a copy of Space Engineers and one of Fallout 4 for christmas... im hooked on both and ive been playing those lately. Ive also been in the process of testing the mods list for the server I maintain for me and some friends and getting it ready to be setup again(recently moved hosts) and since it's a pretty big mods list its taking quite a while to do

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks Niels!

Anyways, as im so busy with other things and im still learning java(self teaching is pretty slow after all) despite how much ive got done so far I can honestly say a playable update for the new version of 4 space might not be out until a bit after galacticraft reachs 1.8. Only reason I say that is the numerous bugs Heras code is giving me and the fact I still need to pull off a 1.8 update in the future so might as well kill two birds with one stone and wait a bit... if I don't imma get burned out from all these bugs, already thinking certain parts of Matts code might need to be rewritten to prevent future issues like these and any coder can tell you that rewrites take time unless you rush, rushings bad M'kay? I want to get a fully stable version out, not a crash fest xD

Basically long story short: Don't expect any significant progress for quite a while, can't really say how long honestly but I can almost see the large stretch of time this is gonna take ;-;

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry, ive been VERY busy with irl lately. The build ive gotten relativly done has badly bugged Hera generation and bugged Glicka rendering and I haven't had much time to hunt all the bugs so it's not really in a playable state at all outside the Eclipse enviroment at the moment.

I promise though that I am still working on it. Right now im rewatching thenewbostons java tutorials in my spare time to make sure I absolutly know if im doing things the best way possible. Last thing I want is to release a game breaking build and have no clue whats causing the bug so im trying to comb out bugs as thoroughly as possible before I even think about releasing an update with my additions added in. Not to mention im attempting to rearrange some of Matts core code to better flesh with mine to make future additions easier so it's looking to be a while at this rate.

Shoot, at this point I might just make a core mod to keep the base functions seperated from the main mod.. at least that will keep bugs to a mininum as well as keeping a base mod file to refer everything to like most mods do at present so I don't run into another bugfest while rearranging stuff later. Rearranging stuffs inevitable when it comes to modding so probably gonna work on that next time I have free time to do so.

Jul 9, 2016
Honestly I really like what he has done with it so far i like the mobs the color scheme is really nice and just the planet names in general are nice if you email me here I can give you some ideas i'm not looking for a shout out or anything I just have ideas i'd like to see happen I can pitch them to you and you can yea or nah so (email me here [email protected] ) also I can help with a test build or something again it will give me something to do in my spare time

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Its been a while but im still working on this( incase the mods were wondering ) so heres a new update to the development so far:
I decided to start from scratch with Matts code since, not gonna lie, I boned up my first attempt badly due to my noob java skills. Im honestly proud how well the second rounds going since im prioritizing terrain gen before anything else at the moment.

Ive also decided to just make Hera into the most "earthlike" plant ive seen in any galacticraft addon. My original plan was to follow other addon planet setups with custom blocks making up the terrain... but then I wondered, what if there was a planet that can be lived on straight from scratch like the overworld? So now im using basic blocks and plants from vanilla to make Heras terrain look as close to the overworlds as I can get considering, you know.. alien planet.

The biomes, blocks, and even some terrain features like vanilla villages/trees are generating with caves using galacticrafts generator for a 'alien' feel when mining. Worlds got oceans, deserts, forests, jungles, and for the extra "alien" I swaped the rarity of mushroom biomes up a bit. I did add some custom ores to the world as well as generating the stone I planned for the original generator to the world in small clusters.

Basically Hera will be like a overworld with alien features I cook up along the way such as custom mobs and plants. Right now it's using everything from vanilla as placeholders but im liking the look so far.. biome gen is kind wonky compared to the overworld but I personally think it fits pretty well with the general feel. Pretty flat in large areas for any would be colonists as well. Been so busy with terrain gen that haven't redone the colors just yet sadly.

Now enough about explaining what ive been up to lately, heres screenshots of what ive gotten working so far for proof ive been hard at work( just been busy as well so things are slow to be worked on ):
ifpKXVA.png

feEs0pj.png

Villages

ZdStHBo.png

Cavern, the coal blocks are placeholders for future ores plans I have while the greenish-blue blocks are hera stone. Figured builders/colonists would of liked some custom local blocks to work with when living on Hera.

2Z8FV3d.png

Forgot what biome this was since this was early on in the new terrains development but pretty sure it's a taiga with a river going through it. Still looks awesome with Heras sky though.

x6vqRBf.png

And last but not least my attempt at a legit tree. This was early on and ive since textured it's blocks and added the ability for the sapling to grow and be bonemealed but still need to tweak the bonemeal values so it doesn't auto grow with just one. That and ive been having trouble generating it in the vanilla biomes on Hera without it generating on the overworld. No wood planks for it yet though but thats lower on my list of priorities at the moment.

It might not be much but dear god it took a while to work out terrain gen so it didn't do this stuff randomly:
TzVQiUR.png

8qiDPNf.png

Now that took a while to fix. Turns out being out of school for so many years made my math skills pretty dang rusty :/

Jun 26, 2016
Its been a while but im still working on this( incase the mods were wondering ) so heres a new update to the development so far:
I decided to start from scratch with Matts code since, not gonna lie, I boned up my first attempt badly due to my noob java skills. Im honestly proud how well the second rounds going since im prioritizing terrain gen before anything else at the moment.

Ive also decided to just make Hera into the most "earthlike" plant ive seen in any galacticraft addon. My original plan was to follow other addon planet setups with custom blocks making up the terrain... but then I wondered, what if there was a planet that can be lived on straight from scratch like the overworld? So now im using basic blocks and plants from vanilla to make Heras terrain look as close to the overworlds as I can get considering, you know.. alien planet.

The biomes, blocks, and even some terrain features like vanilla villages/trees are generating with caves using galacticrafts generator for a 'alien' feel when mining. Worlds got oceans, deserts, forests, jungles, and for the extra "alien" I swaped the rarity of mushroom biomes up a bit. I did add some custom ores to the world as well as generating the stone I planned for the original generator to the world in small clusters.

Basically Hera will be like a overworld with alien features I cook up along the way such as custom mobs and plants. Right now it's using everything from vanilla as placeholders but im liking the look so far.. biome gen is kind wonky compared to the overworld but I personally think it fits pretty well with the general feel. Pretty flat in large areas for any would be colonists as well. Been so busy with terrain gen that haven't redone the colors just yet sadly.

Now enough about explaining what ive been up to lately, heres screenshots of what ive gotten working so far for proof ive been hard at work( just been busy as well so things are slow to be worked on ):
ifpKXVA.png

feEs0pj.png

Villages

ZdStHBo.png

Cavern, the coal blocks are placeholders for future ores plans I have while the greenish-blue blocks are hera stone. Figured builders/colonists would of liked some custom local blocks to work with when living on Hera.

2Z8FV3d.png

Forgot what biome this was since this was early on in the new terrains development but pretty sure it's a taiga with a river going through it. Still looks awesome with Heras sky though.

x6vqRBf.png

And last but not least my attempt at a legit tree. This was early on and ive since textured it's blocks and added the ability for the sapling to grow and be bonemealed but still need to tweak the bonemeal values so it doesn't auto grow with just one. That and ive been having trouble generating it in the vanilla biomes on Hera without it generating on the overworld. No wood planks for it yet though but thats lower on my list of priorities at the moment.

It might not be much but dear god it took a while to work out terrain gen so it didn't do this stuff randomly:
TzVQiUR.png

8qiDPNf.png

Now that took a while to fix. Turns out being out of school for so many years made my math skills pretty dang rusty :/
Sorry for my ignorance but, how are the download link? Sorry for my errors i,m "principiant in english"

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Theres no downloads yet. Won't be for quite some time, me still getting the hang of java( it takes a long time to get good at a programming language ) means im paranoid of releasing a version while it's in a "This will definatly crash if you install it" state. Ive beem testing compatibility with other mods while coding as well as life in general keeping me from devoring all my time to coding so theres no set release date yet. Truthfully I only post progress due to feeling like it's only fair, I mean players are going to use it when I get it stable enough to release so why not keep them in the loop?

At least thats my view on the matter even though others won't agree, mainly modders. It just irks me when a modder will vanish randomly with no news only to magically reappear after a long wait, no news at all during that time frame, and literally everyone thinking they just up and abandoned their mod. Way I see it is keep those who will most likely be using your code in their game informed instead of playing the mysterious stranger role while just giving out vauge notions with no solid facts. Basically I live by the philosophy "treat others how you wish to be treated" and since I would honestly perfer more news from modders about the mods I use of their it's only fair I do the same with my own coding attempt.

So TL;DR theres no release planned for a pretty long while, probably even until after galacticraft itself updates to 1.9.4/1.10 with the slow rate im working at sadly.

Jun 26, 2016
Theres no downloads yet. Won't be for quite some time, me still getting the hang of java( it takes a long time to get good at a programming language ) means im paranoid of releasing a version while it's in a "This will definatly crash if you install it" state. Ive beem testing compatibility with other mods while coding as well as life in general keeping me from devoring all my time to coding so theres no set release date yet. Truthfully I only post progress due to feeling like it's only fair, I mean players are going to use it when I get it stable enough to release so why not keep them in the loop?

At least thats my view on the matter even though others won't agree, mainly modders. It just irks me when a modder will vanish randomly with no news only to magically reappear after a long wait, no news at all during that time frame, and literally everyone thinking they just up and abandoned their mod. Way I see it is keep those who will most likely be using your code in their game informed instead of playing the mysterious stranger role while just giving out vauge notions with no solid facts. Basically I live by the philosophy "treat others how you wish to be treated" and since I would honestly perfer more news from modders about the mods I use of their it's only fair I do the same with my own coding attempt.

So TL;DR theres no release planned for a pretty long while, probably even until after galacticraft itself updates to 1.9.4/1.10 with the slow rate im working at sadly.
Ok but, what are the 4

Ok, but 4-space it will keep working for minecraft1.7.2 and 1.7.10?

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
So, I finally decided to just go ahead and setup both 1.8.9 and 1.10.2 dev enviroments for later and got pretty dang sidetracked with irl.

Also if your going to rob someone, why the heck would you take the gamecube CORDS but leave all the games, the system, memory cards, and contollers?! Seriously, the system was RIGHT THERE. Like LITERALLY right next to the cords, it was plugged into the cords for peats sake!

But no, both my DSi and DS plus all the games for both get stolen but my gamecube is only unplayable due to missing cords.. why? Just why? Idiot didn't have any trouble stealing his younger brothers PS3, 360, PS4, 3DS, and all the replacement system but leave the gamecube? Is my gamecube not good enough to steal or something?
Why unplug the cords and just take those when you could of just stolen the system itself for twice the money?!
My brain.. it hurts. I don't think ill ever understand a theifs mindset.

So yeah. Ive been a little preoccupied and will probably be for quite some time. Main reason I setup the future dev enviroments today since I know ill forget later and im not expecting to be very active code wise until certain irl crap gets sorted out.

Sep 24, 2016
So, I finally decided to just go ahead and setup both 1.8.9 and 1.10.2 dev enviroments for later and got pretty dang sidetracked with irl.
it almost seems like your begging for your gamecube to be stolen..... but I hope everything works out for you man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.