New generators

MCcraftingCz

Feb 22, 2014
What to add new types of generators?
In galacticraft are only coal generators and solar panels. I think it can be good to add another generator. I am thinking about diesel generator or something like that. If you put a cannister of rocket fuel, you can get energy from that.
Crafting recipe:
AP|EC|AP
AP|CG|AP
AW|BC|AW
AP-aluminum plate
EC-empty liquid cannister
AW-aluminum wire
BC-basic circuit
GUI:

What do you think about my idea?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

JakXLT

May 16, 2014
What to add new types of generators?
In galacticraft are only coal generators and solar panels. I think it can be good to add another generator. I am thinking about diesel generator or something like that. If you put a cannister of rocket fuel, you can get energy from that.
Crafting recipe:
AP|EC|AP
AP|CG|AP
AW|BC|AW
AP-aluminum plate
EC-empty liquid cannister
AW-aluminum wire
BC-basic circuit
GUI:

What do you think about my idea?

I'd like to expand on this.

micdoodle appears to be adding electrolysis to the mod, Perhaps we could have some hydrogen generators too, like mekanism has?

Each planet has its own opportunities for power generation. For example, Venus on top of supposedly having great stores of uranium under the surface, the heat could also be used to instantly boil water for steam.

Mercury, being so close to the sun as well as its strange orbital and rotational period, is going to have the best energy production results with solar panels.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
In real life, electrolysis and hydrogen generators is not a way to make electricity. The hydrogen generators generate less electricity than needed to do the electrolysis in the first place. But there's an important difference between electricity generation, and making an easily portable fuel source for cars, aircraft, spaceships, mobile homes / RVs etc. Liquid hydrogen can be great as a portable fuel source. So can methane (LNG), petrol / gasoline, kerosene, and rocket fuel.

In Galacticraft, the (coming soon) Water Electrolyser in Galacticraft will be part of the process for manufacturing rocket fuel on Mars out of nothing more than water + carbon dioxide. We think that once a player has reached Mars and the Asteroids, you don't really want to be wasting time running around on the Overworld looking for oil. As a great by-product, the Water Electrolyser will also make oxygen, so nothing is wasted.

Solar panels are a good energy source on the Overworld, Moon and space stations - very good on space stations - so long as you have enough space to make a big array. Solar panels are not so good further away from the Sun.... I agree with you, solar panels will be excellent on Mercury....

So yes, we need a third type of generator for use further out in the cold depths of space. It's not going to be using diesel or rocket fuel though. Burning those types of fuel doesn't work without oxygen, and oxygen is a precious resource out in space. It might have to be something nuclear.

We do assume that most Galacticraft players use Galacticraft alongside other mods, for example one of the power mods like IC2, Mekanism or Thermal Expansion - maybe fancier mods with advanced nuclear power - so most players should be able to find some way to meet their energy needs.

JakXLT

May 16, 2014
We do assume that most Galacticraft players use Galacticraft alongside other mods, for example one of the power mods like IC2, Mekanism or Thermal Expansion - maybe fancier mods with advanced nuclear power - so most players should be able to find some way to meet their energy needs.

True enough, but perhaps have some IC2/Big Reactors/Resonant Induction compatible ore gen on venus since it's supposedly about as common there if not more common than on Earth