Oil generation improvements

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Currently Galacticraft generates small oil pockets underground, every 10 or 20 blocks apart. While it provides raw oil for rocket fuel for a life time, these pockets spawn everywhere, with no apparent rule.

I have found them in dungeons, strongholds, mineshafts, damaging these structures, I have to drain the oil that is blocking the path to continue exploring. I once found an oil poked floating in the middle of a ceiling of a stronghold library, flooding it. Sometimes they are found floating midair in ravines and big caves in clusters, like this:

2014-04-13_03.20.53.png

If they don't spawn exposed, open-air, you have to strip-mine to find them in the rock.

I suggest the following:
- biome dependent: they spawn only in swamplands (best), oceans, desert plains, ice plains, plains (rare occurrence). Flat terrains suggest oil deposits.
- fairly rare and big pools instead of common and small pockets: I would prefer to find a big oil pool (like the lava pools which are wide, long and shallow pools) and then I would "drill" a well to collect the oil and build a refinery plant to process the oil on the surface near the well.

2014-04-15_05.30.51.png

This is an example of a refinery plant with Galacticraft and Mekanism (video).

Ref: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Crude_Oil

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Sounds good to me. Albeit more rare, I do like the idea of oil being generated in a similar manner to lava. Biome dependency would also add another dimension to the prospect of oil. Aside from deserts and swamps, I think oceans could also be rich on oil deposits. Even if we don't know how much is actually out there in reality, it could ingame be pretty nice if the vast oceans offered something more than just a reliable source of water.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I would amend your suggestion, which I support, with rarer oil all around, but the ability to use alternate fuels from other mods (Biofuel, Hydrogen, etc). Of course each fuel would have a different rate of consumption. I think it would be interesting to have many choices of fuel to use, and it would get players building rockets and exploring the moon and other places sooner.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
I have the same problem with oil...
Always annoys me when i try to get to the other side of that chasm...

I have a similar thread but that's about something else...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Wow, I didn't see this before, but in GC3 by good fortune we have done exactly what is suggested here :)
Details: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/galacticraft-3-release-notes.4372/page-5#post-33973
See also here: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/797

The geology / seismology kit mentioned there is now officially planned, there might eventually be an interaction with satellite imaging (space stations) but I can't give an ETA for any of this, don't expect to see it any time soon.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
but in GC3 by good fortune we have done exactly what is suggested here :)
Do you believe in Quantum Entanglement? :3

j/k

Interesting I went to "mock up" an example between that post and your post:

sfsrJpk.png

The geology / seismology kit mentioned there is now officially planned, there might eventually be an interaction with satellite imaging (space stations) but I can't give an ETA for any of this, don't expect to see it any time soon.
Interesting I had suggested something akin to Aidan's Mekanism some time ago: https://github.com/aidancbrady/Mekanism/issues/1185

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
nice mockup, in-game it will be a bit more 'raw' and there won't be that air-gap unless you remove some of the oil.

Quantum Entanglement? I think it's a real phenomenon, but I certainly don't think it's a question of faith :D

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
The secret of Ezer'Arch is he was a long time ago born in the Imperium Romaniae, also known in modern speech as the Latin Empire. By growing up as one of the original Templars it was commonplace for him to read the Bible in its original language, Latin, which also is his mother tongue.

It's not know how he's made it till present times, though it's believed it has to do with something about him possessing the Unholy Grail of Christ's blood. It is said no matter how much you fill it, it'll always be half empty.

Reactions: MoltonMontro

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
This seems fair enough, too bad i never use Galacticraft without Buildcraft so i always have oil spawns on the surface.