Options for new ore gen in old world

Feb 14, 2015
Buxton, ME
I've been running a server for over a month now with a small number of players. We've been exploring quite a bit and early on, all the players tried to spread out over a few thousand blocks from spawn, so we have generated many, many chunks. I had not heard of Galacticraft until recently, and we decided to add it to the server. I've been running a number of mods already that add tin and copper, but we're going to need silicon and aluminum in order to get anywhere, and it's going to be tough to find them.

I've looked into a few options, such as the OresPlus mod, which can add aluminum into the world, but not silicon. I've also heard some people suggest adding MystCraft in order to generate worlds in which those ores will spawn, but I'm already bogged down with many, many mods and want to avoid adding another. The only other option I know of is running MCEdit and deleting chunks manually, but considering how much of the world we've already explored and developed, this will be an extremely tedious task with the risk of deleting players' work.

Has anyone had luck adding Galacticraft to a pre-existing world? Are there any (other) mods out there designed to help with this? Would a possible solution be to download OresPlus and tinker with it in Eclipse (I'm a moderately experienced coder)?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
As this is a common problem whenever someone adds any mod to any modpack, I'm sure there must be some existing solution.

You can look at CofHCore which has a RetroGen option: http://teamcofh.com/core-mods/cofhcore/ore-generation/
I haven't tested the RetroGen personally, but I'm sure there will be someone else on this forum who has.

For ore generation on the Overworld Galacticraft uses a 100% standard solution used by most Forge mods, so I would expect it will be compatible with the CofHCore system for the ores.

I'm not so sure that CofHCore can handle Galacticraft oil so you may have to find another solution for that, you could just place down some Galacticraft oil source blocks near spawn, or maybe your players will have to go to unexplored parts of the map to find oil.

Feb 14, 2015
Buxton, ME
I'd seen some suggestions of CoFH for other problems with ore gen; I'll give it a try and let people know if it works. If it does, that will definitely make a lot of people very happy.

BuildCraft is one of the mods I run, and that has limited oil (although if we ever find a desert or ocean biome, we should be drowning in the stuff :p ). I remember reading that GC adds a good amount more than BuildCraft, though, so we might end up being limited in that regard early on.

Thanks for the reply ^_^

Feb 14, 2015
Buxton, ME
Guide to retro ore-gen for Galacticraft:

-Download CoFH core (I don't think I can post links, yet).
-Follow the instructions to make a new file called Galacticraft.json in the folder config/CoFH/world
-Open Galacticraft.json in a text editor and paste the following inside:

Code:
{
    "Aluminum": {
        "template": "uniform",
        "block": {"name": "GalacticraftCore:tile.gcBlockCore", "metadata": 7},
        "material": "minecraft:stone",
        "clusterSize": 7,
        "numClusters": 18,
        "minHeight": 0,
        "maxHeight": 45,
        "retrogen": "true",
        "biomeRestriction": "none",
        "biomes": [],
        "dimensionRestriction": "whitelist",
        "dimensions": [0, 7]
    },
        "Silicon": {
        "template": "uniform",
        "block": {"name": "GalacticraftCore:tile.gcBlockCore", "metadata": 8},
        "metadata": 8,
        "material": "minecraft:stone",
        "clusterSize": 7,
        "numClusters": 3,
        "minHeight": 0,
        "maxHeight": 25,
        "retrogen": "true",
        "biomeRestriction": "none",
        "biomes": [],
        "dimensionRestriction": "whitelist",
        "dimensions": [0, 7]
    }
}

-open CoFHcore.cfg in the config folder and go to the last option. Change B:RetroactiveOreGeneration to "true".
-Now, run Minecraft normally. The mod should generate silicon and aluminum ores throughout the overworld as if they were there the whole time.
-change options here or in the CoFHcore config file so that ores will no longer retro-gen (otherwise, you'll just keep getting new ores everywhere whenever you start up your world :p).

That should be it. Apologies if I left out any steps.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
That's great, thank you I'm sure that will help other people too. I'll also add a link to this thread on the Wiki.

So I'm guessing oil generation by CofHCore is not possible?

Feb 14, 2015
Buxton, ME
Theoretically it's possible, since CoFH core uses a find and replace system. You could set the template to "surface" and set the block to replace as dirt, sand, or even air. I haven't tested this out, yet, but I think it would work.

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
I've used the above mod with success and re generated all needed ores in my old worlds.
Now I need to figure out how to not have 10 Tin's, 20 Copper's etc.
Is there a way to do this? A model I can follow?

cosmocaos

May 30, 2020
I'm triying to do retrogeneration for galacticraft ores in a 1.12.2 forge server, with a custom map (MC version 1.9). I tried with two mods, CoFH and ChunkPregenerator.

I have no success with CoFH World, tried turning on and off the options for retrogen in config/galacticraft/core.conf and in config/cofh/world/config.cfg.
I have used the example of Richard Veysey and updated the ore names of galacticraft 1.12.2.

With ChukPregenerator, I only retrogenerated Aluminium and Oil. I did turn on overworld ores on config/Galactigraft/core.conf. And used activeworldgenerators=micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.world.gen.OverworldGenerator for ChunkPregenerator.

I have searched in google, discord, reddit, and I'm clueless, there is a lack of tutorials for doing retrogeneration on custom maps, don't know why.

I would appreciate any help on the topic.