Oxygen, airlock, closed room: general rules

Dladak

Apr 20, 2013
Hey everyone,

I discovered this mod a few days ago and i'm really enjoying it. But, as many people on this forum apparently, i'm having trouble figuring out how to work out the oxygen system.

If i'm understanding what i'm reading correctly:
  1. To make oxygen, you need a powered collector, with leaves around, fueling oxygen in a powered distributor
  2. Leaves decay no matter what the size or shape of the tree, making it impossible to keep leaves indefinetely. To keep a supply of oxygen, replanting trees is mandatory
  3. Trees don't grow on the moon.
  4. Oxygen comes out in a bubble and nobody has found a way of shaping the bubble to the size of a room
  5. Airlocks are functionnal, but as of now useless because of point 2 and 3
  6. Sealers have been implemented (but i stil haven't found how they work, even after some reading).
  7. An oxygen bubble dispensor takes 15 oxygen max, and you can't put two dispensors on the same line without lowering that level, no matter what the level of collectors
Am i wrong somewhere ? If so, where and why ?

Aviin

Apr 7, 2013
Here are a few answers/observations (came here from your post in the oxygen sealers thread).

1. Correct. Leaves around the collector(s), power to the collector (either through a battery or by wiring it to a power source), oxygen pipe running from the proper side of the collector (i.e. the side that it'll attach to) to a powered bubble distributor or sealer.

2. Leaves decay no matter what UNLESS you change something in the mod's config file. Look under your .minecraft/config/galacticraft folder. Open up core.conf with a text editor (if you're on Windows, you'll have Notepad and it'll open it fine). Locate the line that reads B:"Disable Oxygen Collector Leaf Decay"=false. Change false to true and save the file to disable the leaf decay.

3. Trees will grow. They must have, in my observation, 4 water source blocks very nearby to grow. I have had no success with less than 4 source blocks.

4. The bubble distributor seems to almost always produce a bubble that is not confined by walls/floors/ceilings. I have once and only once had a bubble distributor produce a bubble that was confined to a small space and did not "leak" out. It was the first I ever placed, simply done as a test to see how they worked. Never again has one functioned like that first one did for me.

5. They would be very well suited to a room that used sealers. That said, sealers seem to be ultra-finicky (see below).

6. Sealers are indeed implement and work. Attach one or more collectors (which are near to leaf blocks) to the sealer via pipes. Power it all. Be aware that too many collectors being active and attached to a sealer will break a world (I have to worlds where I was testing them out that crash almost immediately after loading). The enclosed space that a sealer will oxygenate is pretty small. Oxygenating a whole base with them seems impossible at this point. The number of collectors required will (for me, anyway), break the world as mentioned above. Also, glass (used as a window, for example) will NOT allow a room to seal (I'm hoping this is a bug that'll be corrected). Same goes for any block you can see through (rails, torches, ice, fences, etc.). Oxygen pipes are included in this. You can use the sealable oxygen pipe block to overcome this problem, but they can, last time I checked, only be attached to untinted pipes. I do not know the crafting recipe for them, but they do appear in the creative inventory menus.

* EDIT * - Build #88's changelog entry says glass will now seal properly.

* EDIT 2 * - The breaking point for collectors, at least for me, seems to be somewhere above 90 in a small area. At 90, all was well. At 115, the game crashed (I was using WorldEdit to paste them in bulk fashion so I do not know what exact number is the tipping point). Using WorldEdit also showed me that collectors are apparently currently broken and operate without power.

7. Correct.

Dladak

Apr 20, 2013
Thank you so much for all the answers !!!!

So apparently building a fully functionnal massive oxygen station for a whole base is impossible because of how the sealers work and the fact that you can't have massive amounts of oxygen flowing through pipes. The only way you could do it is bubble up some zones and constantly regrow trees which takes an absurdely large amount of bone meal

I've been experiencing all day and i can safely say that
  1. Oxygen leaks through pipes and copper wires (tested in a full stone room with airlock closed as an only entrance).
  2. Collectors actually MAKE the leaves decay, which is kind of odd. I'll probably change the line, but it doesn't make sense that collecting oxygen would kill trees. (Loads of tests, including with naturally generated trees in a village)
Any idea where to find those sealables pipes ? I don't see them in the build i've got of galacticraft

Aviin

Apr 7, 2013
First, I'd make sure you're using the latest build. Look at the links in my sig to find it easily.

Assuming you're in creative mode, open your inventory and hit the little right arrow button just above the inventory window. That'll show you three more tabs (or more potentially, if you've got other mods installed). Click on the tab with the rocket on it. The sealable oxygen pipe is on the second row, seventh column. Or, you could always click on the compass tab and search for the block by name.

Oh, and you're welcome, of course. Glad I could help.

Dladak

Apr 20, 2013
Didn't think of searching through the engine and of course, stupid as I am, i was looking for a pipe and not a block ... Thanks a lot mate ! I managed to seal off a small room but it's not likely that i'm going to start building, because of the oxygen system.

It's a shame the the oxygen system does not allow for construction yet. An easy fix would be just to increase the efficiency of collectors 10 fold (or adding a new one) and allowing the pipes for much higher volumes of oxygen (like different wires for electricity). Like this, you could plant a tree farm with several collectors in them, tap all that air to a massive air duct from which you would pool your sealers and bubble dispensors. Plus, if you add this to voltz, you can add a nuclear plant with an supraconductor cable next to the air duct, keeping all the wiring at the same place !

I like your idea of filling up/decompression. If this ever gets implemented and/or if Voltz adds galacticraft and you need a hand to build a moon base i'd be happy to help !

Jordan

Apr 19, 2013
I think oxygen system is a great idea but should be simpler like O2 collectors dont eat up tree leaf block on trees so you can never ran out of o2 and the distributors act in open space they form the O2 bubble thing but in a seal space creates air through out the base and o2 collectors can only collect a x amout of o2 distributors can only make an x amout and the sealers act only when you put a hole in a sealed room they stop all the o2 to drain because a open space distributor would use two times as much o2 then a sealed one.

coryb2007

May 25, 2013
So far in my experience with sealers, one is enough to seal a 10x10x10 room. Where the inside space would be actually 9x9x9. Placement inside this area didn't seem to have any affect whatsoever from what I could discover.

endershea

May 17, 2013
you can put oxygen tanks in the collector and bubble thing to get oxygen
Hey everyone,

I discovered this mod a few days ago and i'm really enjoying it. But, as many people on this forum apparently, i'm having trouble figuring out how to work out the oxygen system.

If i'm understanding what i'm reading correctly:
  1. To make oxygen, you need a powered collector, with leaves around, fueling oxygen in a powered distributor
  2. Leaves decay no matter what the size or shape of the tree, making it impossible to keep leaves indefinetely. To keep a supply of oxygen, replanting trees is mandatory
  3. Trees don't grow on the moon.
  4. Oxygen comes out in a bubble and nobody has found a way of shaping the bubble to the size of a room
  5. Airlocks are functionnal, but as of now useless because of point 2 and 3
  6. Sealers have been implemented (but i stil haven't found how they work, even after some reading).
  7. An oxygen bubble dispensor takes 15 oxygen max, and you can't put two dispensors on the same line without lowering that level, no matter what the level of collectors
Am i wrong somewhere ? If so, where and why ?

Mihil33

Jun 18, 2013
I have a question about oxygen tanks ! is one oxygen tank more efficient than two ? Let me explain the question... Is one tank on your back more efficient (by efficient i mean saving air so that you don't need to refill soon ) than having two, 'cause if you have two they are depleting in the same time, or am i wrong ? :confused:

garner fenoms

May 2, 2013
Emmett
I have a question about oxygen tanks ! is one oxygen tank more efficient than two ? Let me explain the question... Is one tank on your back more efficient (by efficient i mean saving air so that you don't need to refill soon ) than having two, 'cause if you have two they are depleting in the same time, or am i wrong ? :confused:

No two lasts longer than one. I would recommend using heavy oxygen tanks because the last A LOT longer.

Mar 4, 2013
Canada (duuh!)
Here are a few answers/observations (came here from your post in the oxygen sealers thread).

1. Correct. Leaves around the collector(s), power to the collector (either through a battery or by wiring it to a power source), oxygen pipe running from the proper side of the collector (i.e. the side that it'll attach to) to a powered bubble distributor or sealer.

2. Leaves decay no matter what UNLESS you change something in the mod's config file. Look under your .minecraft/config/galacticraft folder. Open up core.conf with a text editor (if you're on Windows, you'll have Notepad and it'll open it fine). Locate the line that reads B:"Disable Oxygen Collector Leaf Decay"=false. Change false to true and save the file to disable the leaf decay.

3. Trees will grow. They must have, in my observation, 4 water source blocks very nearby to grow. I have had no success with less than 4 source blocks.

4. The bubble distributor seems to almost always produce a bubble that is not confined by walls/floors/ceilings. I have once and only once had a bubble distributor produce a bubble that was confined to a small space and did not "leak" out. It was the first I ever placed, simply done as a test to see how they worked. Never again has one functioned like that first one did for me.

5. They would be very well suited to a room that used sealers. That said, sealers seem to be ultra-finicky (see below).

6. Sealers are indeed implement and work. Attach one or more collectors (which are near to leaf blocks) to the sealer via pipes. Power it all. Be aware that too many collectors being active and attached to a sealer will break a world (I have to worlds where I was testing them out that crash almost immediately after loading). The enclosed space that a sealer will oxygenate is pretty small. Oxygenating a whole base with them seems impossible at this point. The number of collectors required will (for me, anyway), break the world as mentioned above. Also, glass (used as a window, for example) will NOT allow a room to seal (I'm hoping this is a bug that'll be corrected). Same goes for any block you can see through (rails, torches, ice, fences, etc.). Oxygen pipes are included in this. You can use the sealable oxygen pipe block to overcome this problem, but they can, last time I checked, only be attached to untinted pipes. I do not know the crafting recipe for them, but they do appear in the creative inventory menus.

* EDIT * - Build #88's changelog entry says glass will now seal properly.

* EDIT 2 * - The breaking point for collectors, at least for me, seems to be somewhere above 90 in a small area. At 90, all was well. At 115, the game crashed (I was using WorldEdit to paste them in bulk fashion so I do not know what exact number is the tipping point). Using WorldEdit also showed me that collectors are apparently currently broken and operate without power.

7. Correct.

The bug involving glass not allowing a room to seal has been fixed, and long ago.