Votes: 5 41.7%
  • The sealers were working before 2.0.5, and now they aren't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Do sealers have a height limit? Meaning does my roof have to be at a certain level from the sealer?
I haven't read the relevant parte of the source code but I have made some in-game tests with a 10x10xh cuboid room and a dome room, I could say:
  • a sealer can fill a room up to 800 blocks.
  • a sealer works better filling a room from the bottom up. Place it facing the floor.
  • a sealer works better filling horizontally than vertically. Prefer to build room not taller than 8 or 9 blocks.
  • nothing should obstruct the space between the sealer and the ceiling.
  • bigger spaces require more sealers, but keep in mind they will require more time to fill.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Hmm, I do have my main sealers at a really low altitude, almost underground(about 15 blocks below the floor, but in a "silo" style setup). I'll try moving them up to about floor level.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
I can't seem to get them working at all, even on a tiny room. The device is powered, and has sufficient oxygen. When enabled, it says the room is sealed. An oxygen detector in the room puts out a redstone signal, but periodically-- a light attached to it flashes on and off. If I break a block in the room, I can see the space fill with blue for a moment after the block is removed.

However, if I remove my oxygen gear in the room I get the "oxygen setup is invalid" error and I begin taking damage.

There's nothing obstructing the vent. The entire structure is made of sealable blocks-- no openings or even doorways.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
Tried the same with vanilla blocks, too (cobblestone). Same stuff still happens. It seems I can get a room to seal completely with a solid signal from the oxygen detector and I can take off the oxygen gear ONCE, the first time I set everything up. Then, if I turn the sealer off, or break the room, or use an airlock, the seal is broken and never fully re-establishes; the best I get is a flickering oxygen detector, and when there's no redstone signal from the detector, my oxygen tanks deplete. This happens in really small rooms, too-- 5x5x5.

generikb

Apr 15, 2014
I'm having a similar issue as Narcogen on my space station. I've noticed a couple quirks about the Oxygen sealers:

1. An oxygen sealer can say "sealed" but that doesn't mean the room has sufficient oxygen...you can take off your helmet and immediately take damage. If you add more sealers, eventually there will be enough oxygen to breathe (I used an oxygen detector to determine this)
2. If you have one sealer set to "disabled", it will periodically cause your room to be unsealed regardless of if you have other enabled sealers.
3. Breaking blocks (or the opening/closing of airlocks) will result in a little bluish haze, which seems to be an absence of oxygen. This will cause the sealers to fail temporarily (which is bad if you have animals...or in my case dinosaurs...on your space station)
4. I even tried placing two airlocks with an oxygen sealer inbetween...doesn't help things at all because either A) the sealer in the airlock room becomes temporarily unsealed which affects the others or B) the opening of any airlock door creates the "lack of oxygen" blocks

Would love to hear if this is a common bug and if it will be addressed in the future. As it stands now my space station project is kinda dead in the...err...water :D

video reference
(you might have to skip around a bit to get to the good parts ;-)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Hey, welcome to our forum.

1. An oxygen sealer can say "sealed" but that doesn't mean the room has sufficient oxygen...you can take off your helmet and immediately take damage. If you add more sealers, eventually there will be enough oxygen to breathe (I used an oxygen detector to determine this)
Officially, as written in the source code, a sealer can fill up to 1,500 blocks space. On the other hand, I personally have recommended 800 blocks as safe volume, I have noticed the sealer will take longer period of time to "pathfind" rooms bigger than 800 m³ every time there's a block update (as you described in 3#).

2. If you have one sealer set to "disabled", it will periodically cause your room to be unsealed regardless of if you have other enabled sealers.
It was reported in the Galacticraft repos. That's a downside of using more than 1 sealer per room: when a sealer fails or is disabled, it will remove the air blocks by design, but if there is another sealer working, both sealer swill fight each other, removing and filling air every tic.

3. Breaking blocks (or the opening/closing of airlocks) will result in a little bluish haze, which seems to be an absence of oxygen. This will cause the sealers to fail temporarily (which is bad if you have animals...or in my case dinosaurs...on your space station)

4. I even tried placing two airlocks with an oxygen sealer inbetween...doesn't help things at all because either A) the sealer in the airlock room becomes temporarily unsealed which affects the others or B) the opening of any airlock door creates the "lack of oxygen" blocks.
Both reported.

Would love to hear if this is a common bug and if it will be addressed in the future. As it stands now my space station project is kinda dead in the...err...water :D
We have good news, Micdoodle8 and other coders have been working on a fix which was submitted to the repos. The new algorithm will speed up the room pathfind and a sealer will be able to fill up to 2,000 blocks space. Stay tuned for the next releases.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
I seem to have worked out some of my issues, but still one remains that seems distinct from those generikb mentioned above.

The last remaining issue seems to be that even for a system in which all rooms are sealed and communicate only through closed airlocks, and all sealed areas have functioning sealers that report room sealed, have more than sufficient oxygen and power, and are each filling an area much smaller than 1200 or even 800 square blocks, when any airlock connected to vacuum is opened, ALL sealed areas temporarily lose oxygen (as reported by the detector) and players and mobs will take damage.

The sealer quickly remedies this, but it makes building a proper double-door airlock system pointless.

For instance, I have 'A' which is the vacuum outside my base. 'B' is a closed space functioning as an airlock with an oxygen detector, no oxygen sealer and two closed airlocks that open only with a player within 1 meter and doors 5m apart; 'C' is an interior sealed area with two oxygen sealers, an oxygen detector, and one closed airlock that connects to 'B'.

A - airlock1 - B (detector) - airlock2 - C (sealer & detector)

Airlock 1 connects A to B; airlock 2 connects B to C.

Entering from A to B causes the oxygen sensor in B to deactivate if it is activated. There is no sealer, so it remains deactivated so long as airlock 1 is open and/or airlock 2 remains closed.

Opening airlock 2 to enter area C causes the oxygen detector in area C to deactivate for a short period. This might be considered reasonable, as some amount of the atmosphere in area C has now been pushed to occupy the vacuum in area B, resulting in an overall loss of pressure that is then overcome by the sealer. The detector then reactivates after a moment. In the interim, players not wearing oxygen gear and mobs in area C have taken at least one tick's worth of damage. Presumably this could be avoided by placing a sealer in area B and waiting until that area is pressurized before allowing the inner airlock to open, perhaps even using the detector's signal to open the door.

Re-entering area B from area C through airlock 2, if I stand in the opening to airlock 2 long enough, the sealer in area C will also fill area B, and the oxygen detector will start producing a signal. It will remain this way even after airlock 2 is closed and until airlock 1 is opened.

Here comes the problem: when I exit area B to the vacuum outside, A, through airlock 1, the oxygen detector in area C will also signal no oxygen, and unprotected players and mobs will again take damage until sealer operation causes the detector to reactivate. This happens even though the room is sealed, even though the sealer is reporting a seal and is properly powered and supplied with oxygen, and even though the opened airlock #1 does not communicate directly with area C except through the closed airlock #2 which was closed when airlock #1 is opened. This is repeatable, and happens as many times as the outer airlock is opened, and happens regardless of the method used to open airlock #1 (player proximity, redstone signal, etc).

So far I'm falling back on defining the OpenBlocks elevator block as sealable and using that as a secure entrance/exit.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
In the very latest build (1006) the behavior has changed. Now the oxygen detector signal stops when the INNER door is opened.

So if you come in from the outside, the airlock is flushed. Open the inner door, and the airlock gets filled. Open the inner door again-- between two supposedly pressurized areas (interior with sealer and airlock) and pressure is lost. Should I go back to having a sealer in the airlock? I removed it earlier since it didn't seem to be doing any good, but with the new behavior I think it's necessary. Oddly enough, once the inner door closes behind you and you exit, opening the outer door no longer seems to cause the interior to lose pressure.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
I've gone back to putting a sealer in the airlock itself. Things seem to work properly now-- the inner sealed areas do not lose pressure when either inner nor outer doors of the airlock are opened as long as the airlock itself is pressurized when the (inner) door is opened.

ColdFuseon

Apr 17, 2014
The oxygen sealer doesn't seal rooms or bases made of blocks from mods, like the Marble in Tekkit.

Narcogen

Jan 3, 2014
I'm getting a new sealer-related crash when a player in the Mars dimension logs in.

2014-04-22 22:29:51 [INFO] <playername removed>[/XXXXXX:YYYYYY] logged in with entity id 80824 at ([DIM-29] -381.79759824961275, 83.0, -124.35876235101436)
2014-04-22 22:30:57 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "GC Sealer Roomfinder Thread"
2014-04-22 22:30:57 [SEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException
2014-04-22 22:30:57 [SEVERE] at micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.oxygen.ThreadFindSeal.canBlockPassAir(ThreadFindSeal.java:557)
2014-04-22 22:30:57 [SEVERE] at micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.oxygen.ThreadFindSeal.doLayer(ThreadFindSeal.java:349)
2014-04-22 22:30:57 [SEVERE] at micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.oxygen.ThreadFindSeal.run(ThreadFindSeal.java:110)
2014-04-22 22:40:39 [INFO] Stopping server
2014-04-22 22:40:45 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Server thread"
2014-04-22 22:40:48 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Thread-2"
2014-04-22 22:40:57 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Connection #2 read thread"
2014-04-22 22:42:03 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Connection #4 read thread"
2014-04-22 22:45:01 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Spigot Metrics Thread"
2014-04-22 23:25:58 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Command Reader"
2014-04-22 23:27:27 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.6.4
2014-04-22 23:27:27 [INFO] MinecraftForge v
2014-04-22 23:27:27 [INFO] 9.11.1.965
2014-04-22 23:27:27 [INFO] Initialized

Any ideas?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
There have been many recent changes to the sealer, to deal with all its issues and improve the overall gameplay experience. The sealer should now work correctly for any room configuration. The sealer will now automatically recognise whether most types of modded blocks are sealed or not sealed. For example, it works well with anything which implements Forge Microblocks. It also recognises more vanilla blocks, for example stairs, half-slabs and pistons are sealed only on some sides; gravel, leaves, wool blocks and sponge are not sealed. Assuming other mods are properly coded, about the only thing which needs to be set up in the Galacticraft config for the sealer now is special types of modded glass (they are not solid blocks, because they are glass, but obviously they should still be able to seal a room).

@Narcogen, for the crash you reported, I can see you are running Galacticraft 2.0.12.1010. Please can you test out the exact same thing with the latest development build (see the Changelog accessed from the main Downloads page - http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes - use build #1024). If it's still happening, now it won't crash but it will log something in console and in the FML log, saying
**** Please report to mod author: BlockPassAirCheck block ID # was null ****
Please let micdoodle8 or me know which block ID number it reports there, as this should not be happening.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Narcogen, please can you also confirm whether the issue you described in detail on 15 April and 16 April, with airlocks and sealed areas A B and C becoming unsealed when the airlocks are open, is still an issue in the latest build? If possible test it with the exact same layout you had before. If this is still an issue that is obviously something I would like to fix. It seems important that sealers and airlocks should work correctly in Galacticraft - and you should not have to do any strange tricks like put the sealer block in the airlock itself! The airlock is supposed to keep the space sealed, no matter whether the airlock is open or closed.

Last edited: