Pick a Breathable gas, now with homeworlds!

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
I don't think anyone will add this feature to core galacticraft but I figured I would put it here incase it's a good idea or someone makes an addon from it. I imagine it's not to hard to add and if it is added as a core feature it won't make to much of a change except adding a new twist.

The basis of this is that when you start a new world your presented with a gui that gives you a choice similar to flag/team creation. The gui will let you select a type of gas that your character will breath in and what they will exhale besides the default while adding the ability to breathe naturally on planets with that gas present but needing 'oxygen' gear using tanks filled up with your seleted gas on planets that have a high quantity of your exhaled gas(exhaled gases are toxic if inhaled in high doses and poison you) or lack the gas you breath.

I know some balancing issues can occur from this feature such as the overworld being unbreathable for players who don't breathe oxygen so to overcome this I suggest the overworld being 'neutral' since players start there(but if a different planet that has a similar atmosphere present then the normal breathing rules apply, such as an addon exoplanet). The 'overworld neutral' feature could also have a config option thats enabled by default if you want to go that route. Moons and asteroids have no atmosphere so no matter what gas you choose you still need breathing equipment to survive on those.
Another slightly dumb feature that would go good with this in my opinion, but others might not like is a certain thermal level your character can survive in based on the gas you inhale. I have no clue how this would be done but I figure if someone likes the idea they can figure something out.

Anyways this was just a small little feature I thought would be cool(and make setting up my private modpack a bit easier... I want my character to be able to breath CO2 but have oxygen be toxic to them if inhaled but can't do it currently). This feature would also give some options for modpack creation and a special variety to multiplayer servers, hopefully this suggestion isn't to dumb...

Update edit: After seeing some ideas in another thread here on the suggestions forum I got some ideas to possibaly improve on this, might be good or bad, not really sure right now.

A couple exoplanets can be added to expand on the previous ideas, the exoplanets would be 'home worlds' so to speak and if a player picks a certain gas they will start on the proper planet with a suitable enviroment. Each planet will have a different enviroment that players who start there are adapted to and depending on the planet it can effect your space exploration later by effecting what worlds are habitable to them.

These exoplants will have different gravitys, pressure levels, atmospheric composition, terrain, and mobs so each player has a uniqe start depending on what gas they choose, this will also eliminate balance issues with players picking certain gases.

The solar systems these planets are in will have their own uniqe planets that are hostile enviroments for players that start in that system similar to how players who start on the overworld have to go through hostile enviroments on our solar systems planets.
Example: A player chooses CO2 and starts on the proper planet. Such a planet might be colder then the overworld, have lower gravity, low pressure, and mobs that can breathe CO2 but players that started there won't see any difference in survival just as an overworld player wouldn't but the next planet over might have mainly nitrogen or oxygen, gases CO2 players wouldn't be able to breathe but overworld players would but Mars would be an ideal exoplanet for CO2 players to inhabit so travel between systems is encouraged when players get far enough into the mod.

All the exoplanets will have their own uniqe terrain generation and blocks/items depending on the enviroment but they will mainly be like the overworld bar the mobs and planetary enviroment itself, like all of them will have dirt(hotter or colder planets might not have grass but the ones that do would have a different color based on atmosphere composition and sun color), trees(Trees would be planet based, so different trees for different planets), food, water(water would be colored based on the planet), and other survival essentials. Certain materials would be planet exclusive so after players get to the point they need to get passed the other 'homeworlds' tier they would need some materials to upgrade their planets version of the rocket from that homeworld. An example is a certain ore that is abundant and used quite a bit like iron on that home planet but it not being present on any of the others.

Each player will have their own rockets and space explorations materials depending on their gas due to a slightly different progression route then the standard overworld one, the tier system can be tweaked to match this change or planet tiers can be based off the rocket you use and players who started on a certain world can only use that version of the rockets to prevent exploits.

There can even be a way for other mods to generate their features on these other worlds so theres no issues on that front, and mobs that spawn on that world would be 'adapted' for that enviroment so we don't have mobs that jump over your head even though they were 'born' on your planet... of course such a entity based gravity system would require something like my NBT data gravity idea to be added to achive the 'adapted player or mob' based on homeworld feel, can even go the extra mile and make thermal levels NBT based on entity for the extra 'kick' to such a system.

Anyways, thats all I got for the moment so ill just update again if this needs any tweaks or to build on it some more

Last edited:
Reactions: Vigilantecow

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Would be a neat way to stop people from going into your base in multiplayer. Just fill it with some random gas while you're offline. I could think of a few different security setups using features like this.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
I really didn't think of using this sort of feature that way! :eek: That's a great defensive idea for people who don't have breathing eqiupment to survive in the gased area and that's going to stop most trolls/noobs in their tracks before they can even enter your base. This can work similar to the oxygen sealer, you seal the base with whatever gas your character breathes to allow full survival on planets or dimensions(imagine this with mystcraft intergration) without/minimal amounts of that gas present in the atmosphere and as a added bonus the players who don't breathe the same gases will suffocate in the sealed area if they don't have the proper breathing equipment on... so many possibilities that Mitch can practically do anything with this if he decides he likes the idea!

Anyways, nice catch on anther possible function this feature can have if intergrated in some way

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
There's the DNA mods too. With one of those installed it could be possible for a player to genetically modify themselves to be able to breathe something else. Players breathe oxygen, but with DNA modifications they could change themselves to be able to breathe less oxygen, which would increase their survivability in places with say higher concentrations of CO2. With higher levels of genetic modification they could be made to breathe CO2 alone.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
That's a good idea for those that want a sort of progression system if they want to use the default oxygen, or you can just forgo the GUI and go with a genetics system after you reach a certain point progression wise. It needs to be a little expensive to switch the gas you breath since I believe most players will want the challenge to obtain the ability to breath on a different planet. The best part is the mod already has different atmosphere compositions to an extent from what I could tell so a feature like this wouldn't be limited to CO2, you could breath nitrogen if that's your thing(grunt's anyone?). The thermal adaption idea I cooked up can also be added into the DNA system as well.

Ill use Mars as an example since it's the only added planet at the moment. The atmosphere of Mars is 95% CO2 so if you make it so your player can fully survive on the planet you will need oxygen gear filled with CO2 when going back to the overworld or someway to keep from suffocating due to the low amount in comparison to Mars. It's like the movie after earth, your player breaths a different gas/lower amount now so you will need a method to keep breathing on earth but if you visit Venus after it's added, which has 96% CO2, you will be able to breath on Venus as well. Another option for Mars survival is to lower the amount of oxygen you need to .13%, the con of is that when your on the overworld you will literally drown in the sheer amount of oxygen there unless you have someway to filter out the excess(maybe a helmet upgrade?). The difference between planets with similar gases will be what thermal level you can survive at. If you make your player able to survive in the martian climate then the overworld will be just a bit to hot as to where you make your player adapted to the Venus climate the overworld will be way to cold to survive without thermal padding. The other difference is what gases are toxic to your character, not sure how this can be decided other then the player selecting a gas themselves when they start that can't be changed with genetics unless a config option is enabled.
Something else I want to see that could tell what gas you breath is a color coded system for the oxygen tank GUI in the top left corner of the screen, different colors mean different gases.

One thing I can see this feature being used with is for permanent livability of a new planet, I for one am planning to use galacticraft alongside solar apocalypse after it finishes updating to evacuate the overworld so it would be cool to adapt my character to there new home with some effort. That and I want the extra challenge of not being able to survive on earth anymore due to being adapted to a different planet.

Reactions: Vigilantecow

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
That's a good idea for those that want a sort of progression system if they want to use the default oxygen, or you can just forgo the GUI and go with a genetics system after you reach a certain point progression wise. It needs to be a little expensive to switch the gas you breath since I believe most players will want the challenge to obtain the ability to breath on a different planet. The best part is the mod already has different atmosphere compositions to an extent from what I could tell so a feature like this wouldn't be limited to CO2, you could breath nitrogen if that's your thing(grunt's anyone?). The thermal adaption idea I cooked up can also be added into the DNA system as well.

Ill use Mars as an example since it's the only added planet at the moment. The atmosphere of Mars is 95% CO2 so if you make it so your player can fully survive on the planet you will need oxygen gear filled with CO2 when going back to the overworld or someway to keep from suffocating due to the low amount in comparison to Mars. It's like the movie after earth, your player breaths a different gas/lower amount now so you will need a method to keep breathing on earth but if you visit Venus after it's added, which has 96% CO2, you will be able to breath on Venus as well. Another option for Mars survival is to lower the amount of oxygen you need to .13%, the con of is that when your on the overworld you will literally drown in the sheer amount of oxygen there unless you have someway to filter out the excess(maybe a helmet upgrade?). The difference between planets with similar gases will be what thermal level you can survive at. If you make your player able to survive in the martian climate then the overworld will be just a bit to hot as to where you make your player adapted to the Venus climate the overworld will be way to cold to survive without thermal padding. The other difference is what gases are toxic to your character, not sure how this can be decided other then the player selecting a gas themselves when they start that can't be changed with genetics unless a config option is enabled.
Something else I want to see that could tell what gas you breath is a color coded system for the oxygen tank GUI in the top left corner of the screen, different colors mean different gases.

One thing I can see this feature being used with is for permanent livability of a new planet, I for one am planning to use galacticraft alongside solar apocalypse after it finishes updating to evacuate the overworld so it would be cool to adapt my character to there new home with some effort. That and I want the extra challenge of not being able to survive on earth anymore due to being adapted to a different planet.

Since mods don't live in a vacuum and are rarely used alone (they are usually used in packs or people pick other mods they want to use too), I think that having options that tie into other mods is a good idea.

People that don't use a particular mod aren't negatively impacted by it, but people that do get access to extra features they might enjoy. I think it makes mods jive and complete each other and makes the packs feel more rounded. It also encourages pack authors to include your mod because players love how it works well with so and so mod that's already included.

I haven't played much Minecraft in a while, but from what I can tell the DNA mod is pretty expensive.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
I like your logic Dex! I was thinking the same thing when I first thought this up since I kept thinking it would be cool to have a modpack or two that have the premise of players starting on a different planet and needing to visit the deadly post-apocalyptic overworld for certain things. I can think of a few other mod compatibilities that would expand on galacticraft in ways that would make modpacks 10x more epic, but that's for a bit later after I hash them out a bit more.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im gonna go off a limb here and say that this idea isn't very good since it hasn't been replied to in a month. I thought it was a neat idea but everyone has their own opinions... if I knew how to add a poll I would :/

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
Im gonna go off a limb here and say that this idea isn't very good since it hasn't been replied to in a month. I thought it was a neat idea but everyone has their own opinions... if I knew how to add a poll I would :/
So far no one's said they dislike it, and I know that I support it. I wouldn't just assume it's bad because no one's responded in a while.

There could be a machine or potion that genetically changes your structure for quick evolution, so breathing in non-native gas in this state will allow tou to breath thia gas if tou manage to fill a meter without dying and then showing a message saying: "You can now breath '*********'. I spoke about something Similar in my Idea thread,http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/my-possible-idea-thread-list.4424/#post-33943 : and before anyone tells me, this thread is just a cross road between my other threads until I am done making them.

BJ97

Apr 12, 2015
Australia
This is a brilliant idea but you could go a step further and have for single player your own custom style of world which suits you i.e. someone has a entire water planet and is like a fish in breathes in water :p course that would only be a signle player feature o_O

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
You can only choose certain gases at the beginning, Oxygen, CO2 Or [insert gas here that is not OP]
This is actually a possibility to prevent it from being unbalanced, that way you have to work for the more common gases later on in the tech tiers. There could also be a config file for this feature so that if someone feels it's too OP they can disable the starting GUI and begin galacticraft like normal or just disable specific gases so they don't show up on the GUI. If the starting GUI is disabled then the only way to change your breathable gas would be with a very expensive future gene manipulation machine or a creative spawned item, that way players have to work for it without it being to easy to do.

Only problems is that it would be to OP. I would just choose nitrogen, and instantly could survive on mars, earth, venus and mercury
If you noticed in some of my previous posts and the opening post that wouldn't really work since whatever gas you pick to begin with, you have to pick one that's toxic to you in semi-high amounts. This equals out since planet atmospheres are composed of various gases so even if you pick nitrogen you wouldn't be able to breath on planets that have a high amount of your negative gas. It's similar to this, humans inhale oxygen and exhale CO2 and if we try to breath certain other gases we would be poisoned at worse and suffocate at best, CO2 being one of them despite it being a big part of earths atmosphere and our exhaled gas. Say a player wants to breath CO2, they could survive on both Venus and Mars but while they could breath on the overworld they would be effected by the lesser amount of CO2 in comparison to both Venus and Mars causing massive breathing issues... and that's only if they didn't pick their negative gas as oxygen or something crazy like that. Poisoness gas can be represented by a poison debuff while the breathing issues can be represented by various debuffs like slowness, nausea, etc.

Same thing applies to nitrogen in this case. If you pick nitrogen as your starting gas then you would be able to breath on the overworld, that much is obvious since it's atmosphere is mostly nitrogen. But even with you breathing nitrogen you wouldn't be able to breath on mercury, venus, or mars due to the very small amount on each of them. Mars has only 3% nitrogen on it's surface so trying to breath nitrogen their would have you suffocating very quickly. Venus has an atmosphere of mostly CO2 so same thing there.... and I can't find anything on there being nitrogen on mercury but even if their is, the atmosphere is so thin that it wouldn't be breathable regardless.

To make a needlessly long post short, picking nitrogen is the exact opposite of OP since you would be limited to the overworld and other 'earth-like' planets that have a large amount in the air such as addon planets with nitrogen based atmospheres or other planets with at least 20% nitrogen.
If your breathable gas is on the surface then you shouldn't have any issues as long as the atmosphere amount is over 20% of the local planets atmosphere, if the amount if under 20% but above 10% then you can still breath but you will have some breathing troubles and the corisponding debuffs to represent them as to where if the amount is under 10% you need breathing equipment to breath at all on that planet.
Im not sure about these ratios but I think they fit for the baseline of this idea so far

Last edited:
I think this mod can change the spawn of the world by adding a area called the void that you spawn in to choose your gas orbanything else, once your gas is chosen you will be sent to a basic planet with plenty of the gas you breath, these planets are like overworld, but different gases.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
*huge quote*
You actually could survive with a low amount of breathable gas on a planet. Plants survive in less than 1% C02 on our planet. It would be much harder, and you would constantly be out of breath, but you would still survive. Co2 is not poisonous, it just is not breathable. And I was really tying to make a point, not actually say that it would be realistic to breath nitrogen on mars. Picking a gas to breath out of all gases would be much to OP for the game. But if there was some kind of way to balance this, like maybe reduced performance if the gas levels are low? If this is added than it would not be OP

Last edited by a moderator:

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
You actually could survive with a low amount of breathable gas on a planet. Plants survive in less than 1% C02 on our planet. It would be much harder, and you would constantly be out of breath, but you would still survive. Co2 is not poisonous, it just is not breathable. And I was really tying to make a point, not actually say that it would be realistic to breath nitrogen on mars. Picking a gas to breath out of all gases would be much to OP for the game. But if there was some kind of way to balance this, like maybe reduced performance if the gas levels are low? If this is added than it would not be OP
I already listed multiple ways it would be balanced, and to be blunt plant argument doesn't really hold much weight since plants are completely different organisms then humans and thus different rules. Shoot, theres very few animals/mammals that can live off even close to the low amount like plants and unfortuantly humans aren't one of them so in all honesty after researching gases and how they effect us in various ways, I can say the ratios of gas breathability are the closest I can get to accurate due to most of this being based on theory. I went off the fact that earth has around 21% oxygen so it isn't unreasonable to base the breathable gas amount needed off of that.

Also CO2 is indeed poisoness to humans, as a matter of fact it quite deadly and it's only the fact that our atmosphere is only 1% of the stuff that protects us. I wasn't trying to make anything realistic to begin with but instead trying to fit it into the mod in such a way that it wouldn't be out of place. Picking a gas isn't OP unless there are multiple planets that perfectly fit the specifications to your breathable gas, even then you are required to pick a toxic gas so it evens out in the end since even planets that have that specific gas aren't breathable with a high amount of the negative gas present... closest gas selection to OP would be CO2 with argon or nitrogen as your toxic gas, then you could breath on both Venus and Mars but even then the overworld is deadly to you thanks to the large amount of nitrogen and you would suffocate thanks to the super small amount of Co2.

Ive already stated that there is reduced performance when the gas amounts on the planet are between 20% - 10% of the local atmosphere, basically players would have debuffs that effect them such as nausea, slowness, blindness, and anything else that fits the dangerously out of breath catagory while if the negative gas is present they would be get a poison debuff or something similar to represent that... I already said all this in my last comment now that I went back a read it ._.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
By that I was just using an example when I mentioned plants. And your thinking of Carbon Monoxide not Carbon Dioxide. Carbon Monoxide is created by fossil fuel burning when there is not enough oxygen when you burn the fuel. That is what people mean when they refer to Carbon Dioxide poisoning. Carbon Dioxide just prevents you from breathing. Holding your breath makes you run out of oxygen, and when you do you start producing Carbon Monoxide. I was agreeing with you when you were talking about the balancing features. And Mars and Venus do have 3% nitrogen in their atmosphere, so it is breathable, if you can breath nitrogen. Unfortunately, Venus has lots of Carbon Monoxide (and acids) and Mars' atmosphere has too low of a density to be breathed. But still, this seems pretty unrealistic: You change the entire human bio-chemistry down to the DNA level, just so you don't have to bring Oxygen tanks with you? That kind of makes you a different organism in my opinion. And it is chemically impossible to breath any other atmospheric bass other than nitrogen. You breath Oxygen by reacting the Oxygen molecule with the Carbon atom to release energy. CO2 has no obtainable chemical potential in the human body, unless you have a very reactive chemical in your lungs, which would destroy them. Nitrogen is a largely inert gas, so it is impossible to breath, unless you have a very reactive compound, of which there is precious few. I was not criticising your ideas, just pointing out how unrealistic this idea is. If it can ever be done, it would be a near end game event likely involving genetic modification. What isn't unlikely though, is some machine that turns CO2 into Oxygen and Carbon, and you could then breath the Oxygen, so you are technically 'breathing' the CO2