Pipedream: Space station dimension working as the Nether

BBoldt

Mar 9, 2014
Additionally the space stations would be "floating" over the Overworld dimension, which is flat and vast by itself alone, just like this:

lA0tX7Y.gif

Instead of rendering the default Overworld icon, as seen in the pic, it would render the map of the actual terrain beneath, as seen in the Display Screen. We have the technology already.

This photo is how I always envisioned space stations should look. I love that subtle blur at the edges!

This thread is amazing, keep up the good work people!

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
lA0tX7Y.gif

Interesting while I was playing another game with a scrolling sky beneath, I remembered that picture above and what the Overworld might look like scrolling beneath the space station:

It's between 0:10 and 0:30.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I have not forgotten about this. There has been progress in 1.8.9 early betas, we now have much faster local area mapping which is multi-threaded so it doesn't impact server performance too much. I expect we will probably be able to implement some of the ideas discussed here in 1.8.9* over coming months.

* It's likely that everything in 1.8.9 will also be in 1.10.2 and 1.11 versions of the mod, if all goes well these may be ready about the same time than 1.8.9 is ready for release.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Superman

Dec 29, 2016
I also keep thinking about this and how we can make Galacticraft more "space like" without spoiling the core Minecraft aesthetic of:
1. flat world
2. circles are squares, spheres are cubes

One option I have toyed with - and this is really going to annoy you guys, because the code to do this is actually in Galacticraft right now, it's been there since around June 2014 only it's disabled - is to make the world not flat.

Screenshot 1 (early concept test, a lot of issues and nasty gaps but it shows you the idea:
2014-05-07_16.39.52.png

Screenshot 2 - a lot of improvements, still a minor gap / glitch, that's now invisible in the latest version
2014-05-07_17.52.46.png

That's still a possibility for some future version of Galacticraft, maybe only for "small" moons. Please do not ask questions about when or whether this will ever see the light of day.

The bigger issue is: what should the Overworld look like from a Space Station. I would love to add: a terminator line, an atmosphere fringe, and clouds.

Oh wait: somebody already suggested that and made a mock-up: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/bigger-earth.4435/page-2#post-33953 ;)

It feels like we're stuck with square planets. A rotating cube just looks wrong, and raises unanswerable questions like how can players get to the other face of the cube. But what do you guys think about a terminator line moving across the square planet, as the sun rises? We can probably do that. It's not consistent with the vanilla game physics (i.e. it's the same time of day everywhere on the Overworld). But think of the square planet as being like a Mercator projection of a planet which is in fact spherical, only because it's Minecraft you can't see the curve, the curve has to be made flat (i.e. Mercator projection).

We could also maybe look at "Low Earth Orbit" space stations where the terrain underneath changes, and is more zoomed in.

I don't have a problem at all with the Minecraft world wrapping around so that e.g. x=-10000 joins on to x=10000, if we are talking about graphical effects in orbit, and space station orbital paths. As has been said, a lot of servers use a WorldBorder plugin to limit the size of the world. We could make the wraparound configurable in Galacticraft.
How to activate this ? :O Maybe with /kopernicusrules ? No, but really. How to activate. Maybe even decompile and change one line of code, to make it active ? I wanna know !