planet ideas and special planet clocks/compass's

Mar 11, 2013
germany
frist of all, i love the mob^^
it will be one of my standarts now.

so i will start with the planet clocks and compass's.
I cary always a clock on me and sometimes a compass, the moment i land on the moon i noticed both spazed out and where totally useless.
its a large handycape for me and died multiple times because i wasnt aware if it was day or night.
so my idea is to make a special kind of clock you can make by using metior irondust instead of redstone.
you could get by craft a single
Meteoric Iron on a way similar to making drying stuff.

for the compass you could use
magnetic moondust that could drop on a
amount of chance if you break a moondust block. (1 op 10 for exsample)

----
i noticed you go
ne add the planets: Jupiter,
Saturn and
Uranus to the mod.
all those planets dont have a solid surface what will make it difficult to explore it.
however you could make
chunks of lands shaderd around and where you can jump on (or fly to with the jetpack i saw in the yoglabs video).
also on the planets jupiter and saturn you could make a tiny (for jupiter) or short (for saturn) view distance because of the heavy storm clouds on them. and a special suit that will protect the player for there
massive gravity.

----
I hope this will help you somehow or give your insiration for more better ideas for you or for others.

Yours Faithfully,

-CG

Jeron L

Mar 10, 2013
Well, there's plenty of worlds to explore before we get to crazy stuff. Forgive me - this is a nerdout moment.

These are hypothetical places to visit, although I think you only need a few of these for the purposes of a mod like this:

Mercury as the weirdo that has liquids or gasses during the day (high heat) and stuff freezes or sublimates at night from the cold. Also lots of really dense buiding materials since it's a pretty dense rocky world.

Venus would be the gas-swaddled hellhole of a planet which largely obligated you to stay underground and build minor outposts aboveground to explore (you'd just die unprotected.)

The Moon as is works well enough - put some interesting twists on things, but nothing extraordinary. Maybe set up a way to generate helium crafting material since the real moon is supposed to have a lot of He-3 that can be used in nuclear fusion.

Mars is pretty obvious too - I think that any alien pockets would best work underground, in line with actual thought on this - so they avoid the low-oxygen surface and have sort of their own little subterranean caverns full of all kinds of crazy martian life. Making alien ones instead of variants on skeletons would probably be more interesting, but it works. You could conceivably have the two rocky moons of Mars, Phobos and Deimos, as potential targets that would largely serve as a good source of some types of material (metals, rock types) since they're asteroids. Also very low gravity. ;)

Jupiter - well, skipping the planet, we have the Galilean moons as obvious targets - Io, Europa, Ganymede andCallisto. Io is volcanic, so that's certainly something that can be used - lots of cool or unique materials perhaps. Europa is largely variants of ice (probably mineral-rich types) with subsurface oceans that would probably have mobs in there - and maybe some unique stuff that you can explore for so it's worth it down there. Ganymede is rock and ice mostly, with lava deep below, plus subsurface oceans like Europa, perhaps. Callisto is similar, except with more of various types of rock and comparatively less ice. Again, a potential one for subsurface oceans (you gotta love how many of these there area... promising. There's literally dozens of other promising bodies in the Jovian system, but I guess most of those are asteroid-like or probably not distinguished enough.

Saturn has its own good ones - Titan being the giant of the neighbourhood, with liquid nitrogen oceans, rain, rivers and so forth. This would be an amazingly cold but vibrant world. Enceladus is another one of interest (for life, too) and Rhea and Iapetus might be of interest, too.

Uranus has
Miranda, Ariel,Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon, all of which are actually pretty similar in some respects. Neptune has Triton, too. That leaves you with the Kuiper Belt objects including Pluto/Charon and so forth.

...And then there's Exoplanets, too!

Reactions: golum_mechanic
Mar 11, 2013
germany
I see...
that makes...uuhm 19 dimensions if i cound right.
thats whole shit loud on planets and moons, probebly even to much for the mod pack.

i dont think its nesesary to include all the moons, just pick the ones that are the most interesting.

like:
Lo and Europa for jupiter
Titan and enceladus (maybe rhea too) for saturn
titana and as optinal the planet it self for uranus
and
triton and neptune's it self
calculated is that 14 dimensions.
including pluto and charon is that 16 dimensions.
still i bit to much, remember: the more worlds>the more data>the more MB's (maybe even GB's)>the more space it will take on your pc.
and most of all>the longer it take for micdoodle8 to finish the mod...
when hes ready then you rader can call it a expansion Pack then a mod...

and de exoplanets...maybe a idea that you can find one exoplanet similair to the overworld, but to get there you need a special rocket that is made out of differend materials you can find shaderd around those planets and moons.
it could give it a more useful purpuse to fisit the planets/moons.

ow right now i think about it, why not make a space treker for MP, if multiple players are playing the mob eith on a differend planet but you can still see where they are:)
you can do it in the solor map thing or make a radio divise or even a radio stasion like http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_93/1161611209O6Swd2.jpg to keep trak of them.

Mar 11, 2013
Look at Mystcraft and how many different dimensions it supports. It is possible to have that many. Thank you for sticking to only the Galilean moons lol. Jupiter has what, some 60 orbiting objects lol. The exo-planets could be handled like Mystcraft does if you just open a random link book.

My thoughts on Mercury is that the players would need a heavier suit (in regards to heat protection and solar radiation), hence my suggestion for creating space modules that would hook in with modular suits. Example:

Light Radiation Plating : xx% reduction in radiation damage (per piece, suit total would be 80%)
Heavy Radiation Plating : xx% reduction in radiation damage (per piece, suit total 100%)

Reflective Plating : required for traveling to Mercury.

Acidic Plating : Required for traveling to planets with acidic atmospheres, such as Venus.

Small O2 Tank : Provides x amount of breathable oxygen, must be charged.
Large O2 Tank : Provides x amount of breathable oxygen, must be charged. (50% more storage)
Solar HUD : Protective shield to block the unfiltered sun (most people forget our atmosphere filters a good amount of that out)

Just a few to think about, but this mod would be excellent if the suit portion was integrated with modular suits.

Mar 11, 2013
germany
nice idea the problem would be to haverst O2 from leafs...the will burn up right away.
maybe its a idea to also make a headlock or a cooling system so it would be save to place them down.

Mar 11, 2013
that is a issue as you don't find many trees on a planet (other than Earth), but if you create a habitat dome it is possible to self-sustain life using trees. Problem is getting that dome operational, something NASA is still working on or else it will be pointless to travel to the moon and mars. Sending oxygen (even as far as the moon), is a pricey process and just not practical enough to use in a base on the moon or even as far as Mars.

bluesled

Mar 12, 2013
Hey guys tell me what you think about this:

A final hard-to-get-to dimension being a Black Hole! I'm not too sure how to work it in terms of what you would stand on and what there would be to do there but I still believe that it would be so amazing to have. If you guys agree then try posting some ideas of how it would work, remember though, not too crazy, it's got to be programmable :p

flashman111

Feb 12, 2013
It would be possible to program, but it wouldn't really be realistic because a black hole has such an extreme gravitional pull that you would be ripped into pieces and trapped in there forever. Although i did add some suggestions in my suggestion thread like extreme plating in my suggestion thread.

Mar 11, 2013
germany
anti gravity plating/system could work as savety option.

coming back on the tree thing.
i thing SimpleMajority got me wrong.
what i ment was that leafblocks will burn up in seconds on mecuries because of the amounts of head.
(yes it can burn, cuz you get O2 from the leafs so its in there.(trees woundnt stand a chance either...) also i think that normal blocks will melt so maybe refractory blocks could be a good idea.

bluesled

Mar 12, 2013
In terms of reasons for the Black Hole dimension, I guess there could be some cool substance there or something, but also I think building a base next to a black hole would just be so cool. As for falling in the Black Hole, it would be nice if your screen goes red or something because of the intense gravity and maybe there could even be a spaghettification player animation, plus, I think we all agree, falling into a Black Hole would just be such a badass way to die, I definitely wouldn't mind it :D