Planet Icons

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Earth does also wax and wane just like the Moon. By that I got the idea of making a simple animation demonstrating how the Overworld would be like seen from the Moon if this logic applied:

CGan2Wn.gif

By "a simple animation", it means it does not put in regard the planet is spinning around its own axis, meaning the surface features would be moving from left to right. Instead it appears as being tidally locked. A fairly simple solution would be using separate texture layers in the skybox incase an more elaborate animation would prove favorable.

Gameplay-wise, this would give players on the Moon the convenience of making direct observations of what time of the day it is on the Overworld. It can also work in conjunction with other previous suggestions involving the implementation of telescopes and astronomical observations, since you'd potentially be able to actually see what time on they day it's on other celestial bodies. Not to mention it would give the game an additional graphical touch.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Earth does also wax and wane just like the Moon. By that I got the idea of making a simple animation demonstrating how the Overworld would be like seen from the Moon if this logic applied...

I have briefly thought about this idea, but mostly just for the appearance of it and perhaps knowing what time of day it would be on the Overworld. I very much support the idea and I'm actually surprised it isn't already in use.

Meh i dont know what to say about this idea...
With all due respect, you don't have to say that you have nothing to say.

Reactions: MoltonMontro
Jan 8, 2014
Sweden not really swedish im dutch
I have briefly thought about this idea, but mostly just for the appearance of it and perhaps knowing what time of day it would be on the Overworld. I very much support the idea and I'm actually surprised it isn't already in use.

With all due respect, you don't have to say that you have nothing to say.
ok then...

sorry but i just needed to post this 935073_362751987185213_1664836470_n.jpg thats me hugging my cat tubby!

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Once again guys, you have your own thread for this stuff. If you're not contributing or at least discussing the topic then please use your own thread or do whatever you need to do to stop adding useless clutter to nearly every thread on here.

Reactions: wolfboyft

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I have briefly thought about this idea, but mostly just for the appearance of it and perhaps knowing what time of day it would be on the Overworld.
Support! The "knowing what time of day it would be on the Overworld" is the reason for the implementation.

But this feature will imply that the texture will change about 32 times during the lunar daytime. It will not be like the moon seen on the overworld: the moon needs to set in order to change its texture, while the overworld will change its texture every 2min30s on visible sky. I'm against? No, at all. I'm just warning that seeing the overworld changing its appearance in front of your eyes might be a little weird. But, hey, who will keep looking at the sky all the time?

(EDIT: Hope Micdoodle8 fixes the "little" quirk with the moon synchronization: 1st overworld night is full moon, this means that the sun was supposed to be at the zenith of the moon sky when it's the 1st midnight on the overworld)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Sweden not really swedish im dutch
Support!

But this feature will imply that the texture will change about 64 times during the lunar daytime. It will not be like the moon seen on the overworld: the moon needs to set in order to change its texture, while the overworld will change its texture every 2min30s on visible sky. I'm against? No, at all. I'm just warning that seeing the overworld changing its appearance in front of your eyes might be a little weird. But, hey, who will keep looking at the sky all the time?
me...

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
Why is that confusing/b a d, IT WOULD GO WELL because it's about planets' positions etc, which is what 3D galaxy map-finite planets' thread IS ALL ABOUT! *explodes*

:)
*puts on 3-D glasses while eating popcorn*

Whoaaaaaa...