Pressure

Alevidd

May 22, 2014
Thanks. I don't speak english very well. Depending on the pressure, mobs (that are not adapted) could suddenly die. You could wear a pressurized spacesit.

EDIT: And GC would be mote compatible with tech mods that use pressurized air.

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Good I searched, just wanted to open a new thread suggesting this.
So, regarding the effects of pressure:
- It should affect the efficiency of the Gas Liquefier. For the same time and power consumption, you get more gas in high-pressure atmospheres and less in low-pressure
- The oxygen bubble distributors should either consume more power in high-pressure atmospheres, or create smaller bubbles. Maybe make it an option in it's GUI in order to adjust it's strength
- A pressure protection suit which goes in the same slots as the thermal protection suit. There should also be a suit which does both.
- If the pressure is too high, you get damage, the higher pressure, the more damage. Right now, you do not need any extra protection on the moon, and I'm not sure whenever this should be changed.
- Oxygen sealed areas should be completely safe, no pressure effects there
- At really high pressures, creepers and TNT no longer explode. Maybe there are implosion creepers which pull you and non-blastresistant blocks towards them when they implode. Bonus: If a block of coal is caught in an implosion, it has a chance to turn into a diamond

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
Good I searched, just wanted to open a new thread suggesting this.
So, regarding the effects of pressure:
- It should affect the efficiency of the Gas Liquefier. For the same time and power consumption, you get more gas in high-pressure atmospheres and less in low-pressure
- The oxygen bubble distributors should either consume more power in high-pressure atmospheres, or create smaller bubbles. Maybe make it an option in it's GUI in order to adjust it's strength
- A pressure protection suit which goes in the same slots as the thermal protection suit. There should also be a suit which does both.
- If the pressure is too high, you get damage, the higher pressure, the more damage. Right now, you do not need any extra protection on the moon, and I'm not sure whenever this should be changed.
- Oxygen sealed areas should be completely safe, no pressure effects there
- At really high pressures, creepers and TNT no longer explode. Maybe there are implosion creepers which pull you and non-blastresistant blocks towards them when they implode. Bonus: If a block of coal is caught in an implosion, it has a chance to turn into a diamond
Those are some pretty awesome ideas and seems to be great additions if they get added!
It's also nice to know im not the only one who abuses google before posting an idea or suggestion xD

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
I would like to suggest an expansion to this idea, and that would be atmosphere. The ratios and amounts of oxygen/nitrogen should also have an effect. And in a pressurised environment, blocks called heaters could work and heat the atmosphere so the thermals won't be necessary in pressurised areas

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Ah yes, that's another thing. Currently the atmosphere is just a list of gasses, from most to least common, without any kind of percentage. I think that 1. the percentage should be added, and 2. that the gas liquefier (maybe an "advanced gas liquefier") should have an option to pick the gas(es) you want, and consider the aforementioned percentage, together with the overall atmospheric pressure.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
That's pretty much a must pra and im hoping the galacticraft team figures out a way to do that, not to mention if we have a percentage based gas system thes more realistic terraforming might acctually be possible in the future

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
I suppose I could make a pull request containing at least the pressure field for planets (which would default to 1 = same as overworld), maybe adjust the liquefier or even the bubble distributor, too, but I doubt I could do much more than that

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Ok, pull request is out. Did only the liquefier, though, completely forgot about the bubble distributor

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Something important: let the player be aware and learn about the environment and how it affects him. For example, the solar panels display the local "environmental boost" in their UI to tell the player the panels will produce more or less energy according to the sunlight intensity (*). Otherwise, the player would think the panels aren't working properly, "why dis dosent werk rite in teh ashteroeds?".

If you are going to add environmental properties that affect the player, his machines or his creations, it is necessary you give him means to measure or at least to be aware of them. The player will know the game is not just random.

* -- I've never liked "Environmental boost", as it is a vague term and can have "negative boost"(?), I would rather rename it to "Sunlight intensity", with 1.0 = same as Overworld.

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hm, do you think a chat message regarding insufficient pressure protection would be enough? I'm not sure I can do something like the oxygen warning or something like the temperature indicator thingy

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Hm, do you think a chat message regarding insufficient pressure protection would be enough?
Well, my post above was intentionally vague because I wanted to leave it open, but there are other ways you can come up with other than prompting the player via chat. In fact I would avoid using it. Chat message should be the last resort.

Examples:
1. You don't need to see a chat message to know that taking your oxygen mask off in space is bad, because you immediately get damage doing so.
2. You know you should use the thermal padding because the thermometer shows that. If you still don't get a clue, the game starts slapping your face by hurting you and dealing slowness effect.
3. You know the solar panels produce little power because the machine UI tells you the sunlight is weak (the so-called negative environmental boost).
4. The chat one: "I'll probably need a Frequency Module if I want to hear properly here.". The problem is, some people simply don't read chat messages as they are in the peripheral view. We got posts with complaints about "why is my sound broken?".

Some potential applications for air pressure in GC:
  • On players and earthly entities: low or high pressure could cause bad effects such as mining fatigue, weakness, nausea, blindness etc (<- the order is intentional ;) ). Vacuum could cause hearing loss, instant damage and increasing blindness in 15-30 seconds... and death.
    • You can search "human body in space" and "high or low air pressure effect on humans" for more details.
  • On blocks: water would vaporize if not frozen, as in the nether. What about exploding pumpkins and watermelons? No need to be so realistic.
  • On machines: gas or air intake would increase or decrease according to the pressure. Combined with "atmosphere composition", it could give interesting results (like the solar panels). Don't forget to indicate it somewhere in the machine UI.
This is a hypothetical example: You want to collect carbon gas (CO2) from Mars atmosphere, whereas:​
    • The machine can pump 1 air block per tic. Let's call it capacity. This is totally arbitrary.
    • The atmosphere pressure is 0.0063%.
    • The atmosphere composition is: CO2:0.96, Ar:0.02, N:0.02. These are the air ratios.
    • 1 fluid block equals to 1000 millibuckets (mB). Just common sense.
How much Co2 can the machine collect (yield) per tic out of Mars atmosphere? I'd use this formula:

capacity * pressure * CO2_ratio = yield

that is,

1 * 0.0063 * 0.96 = 0.006048 block/tic

0.006048 * 1000 = 6.048 mB/tic, that will take 166 tics, 8 seconds, to fill a 1000 mB canister. Well, that's too fast. The capacity needs to be toned down. ^^'
I want to talk about meters and pressure gauges later. That's all for today.

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hm I guess I will try to add a pressure gauge. And for the liquefier, I made it 4*pressure, round up atm. 4 is the default generation rate per tick.

Also, I'm not sure if I should be the one to decide whenever low pressure should do you harm or not, since it would add another thing you have to check off when going to the moon.