Question about / Idea for the Communications Dish

I was reading the Wiki about the Communications Dish, and came up with an idea for it.

I saw that it would allow communication with space stations and the like, and I was wondering if it would be possible to allow other kinds of communication from other mods, like network packets from OpenComputers, to go over that connection.

I use OC and Galacticraft quite a bit (I am in the process of designing a space center for my world, quite hard as I am NOT a very good designer / builder), and I am planning on automating a lot of things with OC.

Also, this is an AWESOME mod, one of my favorites.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
We're not yet compatible with OpenComputers, though that's certainly on our 'to do' list.
When we are, this is a great idea. I love the idea of inter-planetary computer communications.
Some kind of receiving dish will be needed, probably smaller than the main dish on the Overworld.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Well, an idea I had once (and will hopefully be able to add into my mod at some point) was Orbit-to-Surface teleportation. You somehow connect telepads to dishes, and if the signal is good enough, you can teleport between surface and a space station. The signal would be affected by things like atmospheric density, weather, and elevation. The worse the signal, the more energy does the dish require, and the more likely transporter accidents are. Ranging from nausea to plain damage to withering effects.

Srsam

May 19, 2017
Well, an idea I had once (and will hopefully be able to add into my mod at some point) was Orbit-to-Surface teleportation. You somehow connect telepads to dishes, and if the signal is good enough, you can teleport between surface and a space station. The signal would be affected by things like atmospheric density, weather, and elevation. The worse the signal, the more energy does the dish require, and the more likely transporter accidents are. Ranging from nausea to plain damage to withering effects.
I like your idea!

Louby65

Jun 1, 2017
Yeah we need that- expensive long range teleworkers and maybe if you're super unlucky permanent slowness ("loss of limb during teleport") that can only be fixed with a space age metal legs ? I dunno.

armdn

Jul 18, 2014
I have a suggestion about that satellite dish. How about implementing of a manual overriding of dish position? It is good, that it works and moves, but id love to fix it in special position by coordinates. Like communication with geostationary satellite.

wargaiming72

Jul 13, 2018
hello I am a new member to your forum and I love your mod, but the communication dish Idea that I got is good.
what happens is that in different planets or space stations your can communicate to different people when you have two communication dishes or more set up. you can communicate by using a computer monitor, it only corks if two or more communication dishes are set up on different planets or space stations. pleas tell me if you like my idea.