Rayguns

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
You can fly to mars, but then you still have to use bows and arrows as ranged weapons? LAME! :D

This is a space-themed mod, so it's obvious that it needs more ray guns! The guns would be crafted from a beam core, a battery and some compressed ingots, wafers and similar stuff, would consume charge when fired, and could be recharged either in an energy storage module or by crafting it with a battery (you should get the old battery back then).
I can think of several kinds of guns:

- Blaster: Fires some kind of an energy projectile, like those guns in Star Wars. Enemies can still dodge or even parry it, like a ghast fireball.
- Laser: probably weaker, but also faster. Aka, as soon as you rightclick, the enemy in your crosshair gets damaged. Could either work in short pulses, or create a rather weak, but continuous beam which you can just keep firing at an enemy or sweep hordes of them
- Tesla Gun: fires a quite powerful lightning which has a chance to hit other enemies next to the target, but doesn't work in vacuum
- Freeze Ray: slows enemies, freezes water to ice and lava to obsidian. Could also have a chance to freeze enemies solid, turning them into statues. Taking it even further: you could mine these statues with silk touch, transport them to someplace else, and let them thaw, allowing you to capture and transport mobs

Reactions: cricket354
What about an upgrade to bows and arrows,a (strongest material in GC) bow with a silk leather mesh a beam projector at the end of the bow to shoot arrow shaped lasers, the power of the laser is determined by how far and long you pulled back, and I rechargeable as it doesnt need arrows just power

cricket354

Apr 3, 2015
And as for realism, freeze rays exist in real life, they work by knocking into electrons, slowing down atoms, which since heat is the movement of subatomic particles within atoms, it cools down.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
With real-life "freeze rays" it would be about micromanaging atoms with a laser that via photons punts atoms into a more-or-less still state. It's useful for scientific experiments with a dozen of atoms already in a supercold state and contained in a controlled environment, but less so for field applications.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
who cares about realism, this is a mod where there are zombies wearing oxygen gear on the moon! :D

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Well, then why even bother with real-world inspired rocketry in the first place when a much more simple portal system could have been employed? :p

There's nothing wrong with respecting science. Nor did anyone here actually state there was anything wrong with a sci-fi gag. ;)

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Yeah I get your point, but still, at this point I'd just say: yeah, freeze rays sounds scifi, that's explanation enough. I guess if I manage to add rayguns to my current addon project, I will make them use some ominous cryo-crystals which you can mine somewhere.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
It would be nice for freeze-rays to have a more severe effect when on celestial bodies further away from the sun. Think about it.

Let's say, You are on Charon, the first moon of Pluto. You freeze-ray a creeper, and after about 2.5 seconds it turns into a big chunk of ice.
Somewhat later you are on Mercury, day time. You spot a zombie and freeze-ray it, but even after 10 seconds you can't see a small bit of ice growing.

Merf

Jan 25, 2016
I think it would be cooler to have a lense based omni-raygun. Instead of a freeze ray, a pulse gun, a projectile gun and a tesla gun, have a freeze lense, a projectile lense* and a tesla lense*, with pulse being the default. (*I don't know if a lense could actually do this, but it would be cool anyway)

A "Ray Gun Blueprints" would be found in dungeons, or possibly a rare drop of evolved mobs when killed by a bow. Or even better, it could drop from an evolved skeleton killing an evolved creeper.

The intensity of the laser would be based on either tiered guns, or tiered laser crystals. The first place you could get a ray gun to work would be Mars.
If you choose the crystal option, the first crystal you get will be from martian sludge-caves, and possibly need to be mined with a creeper's explosion.
Every even-numbered destination will have a new crystal.

Shift-right clicking with the ray gun will cycle through 5 different equipped lenses. Slot #3 holds two lenses. Shift-left clicking will open up a GUI.
In the GUI you can change the laser crystal (If implemented), and put in lenses. The middle (#3) has 2 lense slots. Lenses in #3 stack, so use it wisely.
For example, I might have Freeze and Projectile in slot 3, Standard in slot 1 and Tesla in slot 2. I can choose between pulse, tesla, or fragmented freeze-projectiles. Some lenses can't stack, the top one will take priority if so.

Lenses would be, along with the ones from earlier in the thread,:
Vaporization; Doubles Ray Gun damage and gives a vaporization animation to mobs you kill. Costs 3x energy.
Infinite; Shoots an infinite lasting laser beam until you run out of power. Deals 20% of the base damage to its target every second.
Efficiency; Deals 25% more damage. Uses 50% less energy.
Stun; Gives the target Slowness 4.
Feedback; Gives you +1hp for every 4dmg you deal.
High Energy; Explodes the target. Uses 5x energy.
Precision; Allows you to zoom in and fire at sniper-rifle ranges.
Low Energy; Cuts damage in half. Uses 10% of the normal energy.
Shield; Creates an energy shield around your target. Recommended to use on allies, not enemies.

That's all I can think of right now. I may add more later.

Keep in mind that all my ideas are optional, I don't mind if you add lenses but not crystals, or crystals but not lenses.

(EDIT: Re-reading this makes it look like an entire enclave thread withing this thread lol, And the weapons should totally be attachable to moon buggies)

Last edited: