Realism vs Fun... (The Jupiter argument)

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Maybe star* system with blue dwarf (These haven't formed yet in our newly spawned universe. No seriously, there are no blue dwarves yet. But there will be, just after a while.) Again i have to go to Opel's side since there is no point in landing on Jupiter or Uranus, or Neptune. They are gas giants! (Also i'm having serious trouble with this keyboard, i always end up pressing Home instead of backspace, so the text might become cluttered.)

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
If you REALY want something that micdoodle will never add, program it your self. If you already dident know micdoodle is making the mod to be like kerbal space program with a realistic twist. Gas planets will be jokes if you try to land on them you will simply die.
Is he gonna make it like KSP? Really???? Haha what is his forum name?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I think this topic could had a bit more civilized introduction. It feels more like it was just because someone needed to vent their frustration.

Either way, realism is hardly an antonym to fun. However, it isn't entirely a matter about "realism", but also that a template based on Jupiter would just be an endless ocean of hydrogen. That doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

I think Jupiter's moons are much more intriguing since they actually got terrain which the player is able to freely walk on and dig into.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
I think this topic could had a bit more civilized introduction. It feels more like it was just because someone needed to vent their frustration.

Either way, realism is hardly an antonym to fun. However, it isn't entirely a matter about "realism", but also that a template based on Jupiter would just be an endless ocean of hydrogen. That doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

I think Jupiter's moons are much more intriguing since they actually got terrain which the player is able to freely walk on and dig into.

I'd much rather have to explore four of Jupiter's moons in order to gather all four fragments of the Tier 4 Rocket scheme than to simply go to Jupiter, conquer boss dungeon, move to next planet. Even though it'd waste much more fuel, it's something more interesting, and it adds a bit of a challenge.

So, in other words, I agree with what you said.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Say, the gas giant dimensions will be accessible in the "Planet Select" but instead of allowing you to land you will be required to build some kind of geostationary station at Y=128. You'll be able to see the clouds rushing and thunderstorms under your base and all fancy stuff you'd expect from a gas giant.

If you -- by accident -- fall off your base... you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: OpelSpeedster

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
Yes, you have to go to it's dungeon, defeat it's boss and unlock the chest that contains the Tier 3 Rocket schematic. It's alterady in the game, but since the Tier 3 Rocket is not added yet, it is pretty useless.

Just like back there, when we did'nt had mars.

the Tier 2 shematic was useless too..

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Say, the gas giant dimensions will be accessible in the "Planet Select" but instead of allowing you to land you will be required to build some kind of geostationary station at Y=128. You'll be able to see the clouds rushing and thunderstorms under your base and all fancy stuff you'd expect from a gas giant.

Yes, I think it should be like that. Also, you should add (or intentionally) after the by accident. Just pointing out, lol.

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Floating base that collects gas. Now this idea here isn't so unrealistic though the winds on Jupiter...And if your base weight grows too much, it collapses. (though you require quite a lot of weight to sink through the thick atmosphere)

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
Floating base that collects gas. Now this idea here isn't so unrealistic though the winds on Jupiter...And if your base weight grows too much, it collapses. (though you require quite a lot of weight to sink through the thick atmosphere)

Well, now I know not to build my space stations out of gold.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if the Minecraft engine can support weight...though, I know nothing about coding, so I might be wrong. :p

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Now this idea here isn't so unrealistic though the winds on Jupiter...And if your base weight grows too much, it collapses.
Why should it collapse? You can build enormous Overworld SSs and it won't fall. We could keep the same logic. If Minecraft had to support weight, the game would need to check the amount of blocks per chunk or the shape of the structure every tic.

Even in real life you can add mass to a space station and it won't fall. What keeps things in orbit is speed (simply put). Don't get me started. Let Isaac Newton rest for today. :x

Last edited:
Reactions: OpelSpeedster
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Why should it collapse? You can build enormous Overworld SSs and it won't fall. We could keep the same logic. If Minecraft had to support weight, the game would need to check the amount of blocks per chunk or the shape of the structure every tic.

Even in real life you can add mass to a space station and it won't fall. What keeps things in orbit is speed (simply put). Don't get me started. Let Isaac Newton rest for today. :x
Why wont overworld SPace Station collapse? Because it is orbiting it. But in Jupiter, it isn't. See the difference?

EDIT: If you can see the clouds below you and the raging climate of Jupiter, you are not orbiting. If you are orbiting you will be outside the atmosphere, otherwise the atmospheric drag would be too high for such orbital speeds.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Why wont overworld SPace Station collapse? Because it is orbiting it. But in Jupiter, it isn't. See the difference?
But, hey, isn't it a game? It doesn't need to be realistic.

A SS orbiting Jupiter just above the atmosphere as unrealistic as having a black hole in the solar system. Who cares? We don't need "scientific correctness", besides "having fun and variety is more important" because "it is a game".

If I can code a landable Jupiter or a black hole that doesn't destroy the solar system, I can also code a SS orbiting Jupiter just above the atmosphere.

It's all about having ideas for a Minecraft mod.
There! It fit perfectly. :3

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013

It's an interesting idea. It makes me think of how Jupiter is seen from Io in the game Battlezone:

Although, it has been really exaggerated in Battlezone. It's more like Jupiter seen from Metis, and that moon actually lies inside of Jupiter's synchronous orbit (although, a notable thing is Jupiter actually has multiple synchronous orbit radii due to its various belts rotate in different speeds).

Anyhow, distance would still be pretty long, so maybe if one fell off the station, you'd alternatively get teleported into Jupiter's dimension? Regardless, a transition technique could be utilized akin to how the player starts to see Earth/Minecraftia during late ascent.

I can right away draw the analog of falling off the ledge in SkyBlock Survival. But instead of getting the announcement "player x fell out of the world", it could instead be something humorous like "player x tried to be the first person to step on Jupiter".

Oct 22, 2013
Add jupiter and its moons, and make them all landable. This is a GAME, and besides, again some people who think landable Jupiter is "unrealistic" were the EXACT ones who wanted a black hole in the solar system. Add it all.