Regarding Oxygen Sealers and Collectors

MadmanWithBox

Mar 9, 2014
Sorry for bringing up this subject - I'm sure Sealers have been talked to death seven times over by now. I did some due diligence before posting here, and was unable to find the answers to my questions on the Wiki or in the first three pages of the forum.

I'm designing my moonbase before I leave Terra Firma. The structure is a large, sprawling affair, and I'd like to make sure I know how my life support system works before I get there. I'm not yet quite clear on the mechanics.

http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Oxygen_Sealer
1. From this page, I'm led to believe that each Oxygen Sealer will support a sealed-off area of 800 blocks, provided it is supplied with the requisite power and 320 air/second. If the structure is larger, I simply add another Sealer with its own Collector base, and the two will support 1600 blocks. Are these assumptions accurate/up-to-date? Or does a Sealer's area instead scale with the air/second provided?

2. I've had mixed information regarding Collectors. One page tells me one Collector supports one Sealer, while another says I need about five Collectors to provide for a single Sealer. Now, I don't expect different Oxygen Collectors to produce the same flat amount of air - it's clear that their efficiency depends on the amount of nearby organics, namely leaves or wheat. My bio-dome setup uses wheat and makes full use of the Collector's range: four blocks in all six directions. Has anyone here used a similar setup? Would you expect it to be effective? Do I really need 4-5 Collectors per Sealer with this build? Would I be better off just planting (and re-planting) trees?

3. Is there a cap on how much air/second an oxygen pipe can support? About how many Collectors would I have to run to reach that cap?

Thank you for your time and responses.

A couple of quick suggestions:
-Plant-producing oxygen can be kind of fun, but it can also be tedious and cumbersome. There are other ways to oxygen, like hydro-electrolysis. Voltz already has an electrolytic separator; it's used to produce hydrogen fuel, and the oxygen is dumped as waste. Maybe we could include that method as an option, provided it were appropriately balanced.
-Sealable universal cables would be awesome.

Blaze the Fox

Jan 28, 2014
1. They will stack to 1600 blocks. So 4 sealers = 3200 blocks.

2. I think oxy sealers and bubble gens have had the amount of oxygen required to run them cut. All I know is I can run 5 bubble gens from 2 collectors. My collectors get between 180 and 260 air/s from 4 trees. The collectors get air from the trees so you need to grow some anyway.

3. Not sure but the limit is up there. All my air goes through one pipe.

Also, I think Micdoodle is working on other seal-able blocks for different mods. Project: Red seal-able transport pipes would be awesome.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
1) Like Blaze the Fox said they just stack. Micoodle8 said that they are supposed to seal up to 1250 blocks, but in my experience they won't seal that big of a room although I don't know what my limit was. Ezer'Arch just recently updated the wiki just a matter of days ago with that 800 figure so it's pretty accurate/up-to-date.

2) I needed two collectors to support my one sealer, but that was prior to the requirement cut. Micdoodle8 told me that leaves/trees are probably the more effective way to go so I believe the oxygen production of wheat may possibly have been reduced. Not to mention you can completely surround a collector with leaves (except for the pipes/wire of course).

3) Same here. I don't know if there is indeed a limit, but I've never been noticeably bottlenecked when using only one pipe.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
One page tells me one Collector supports one Sealer
Outdated. It was changed, sealers used to demand a quantity of air accorting to the volume of the room, but it caused a lot of lag. For example, in the past 1 sealer could be fed with 1 collector and small oxygen farm because smaller rooms required less air.

This is what I have found on my long road of tests:
  • Each sealer requires and consumes 320 air points/second regardless the volume of the airtight room to be filled up to 800m³. If you provide less air, the sealer will fail.
  • Each oxygen collector extracts 1.5 air point/second from each leaf block within a range of 5 m, I haven't tested on crops. If you place more collectors, more air from each leaf block will be collected.
Now with that in mind: a room up 800 m³ with 1 sealer in it, you will need:
  • 1 collector and 214 leaf blocks, or
  • 2 collectors and 107 leaf blocks, or
  • 3 collectors and 72 leaf blocks, and so on...
If you need more collectors to extract air from smaller quantity of leaf blocks, you will need more energy. Sum all installed power (watts) of these machines to find how many power you need to generate if you don't want to have energy shortages.

Micoodle8 said that they are supposed to seal up to 1250 blocks, but in my experience they won't seal that big of a room although I don't know what my limit was. Ezer'Arch just recently updated the wiki just a matter of days ago with that 800 figure so it's pretty accurate/up-to-date.
Probably a sealer does "seal" up to 1250 blocks, the problem is, according to my tests with a clean and cubic room, the sealer starts to take some time to "recalculate" the volume of rooms greater than 800 and fails for a few ticks.

Last edited:

MadmanWithBox

Mar 9, 2014
Argh, modpacks are annoying. I'm using Lapito's Galacticraft pack off of Technic - pretty sure it's an outdated version because I was able to seal a room with 1 collector, 1 sealer, and ~9 leaves. =/

MadmanWithBox

Mar 9, 2014
Has anyone encountered a bug in which Oxygen Collectors simply don't output any air? They're filling up, but it's just not going anywhere. I've checked and double-checked my pipes, picked up and replaced all relevant blocks, tried with a Storage Module instead of a Sealer, and restarted the game - still nothing.

Blaze the Fox

Jan 28, 2014
The only thing I can suggest is looking for errors in your logs. You can save them to pastebin.com and post them here if you need.