Rewenable oil

Should this be added?

• Total voters

NXTerminator

Feb 4, 2014
Too bad then, it already exists
Also, GC refinery doesn't like exporting fuel with liquid pipes, but BC refineries do. Combine this with the fact that the fuel loader accepts BC fuel from liquid transport pipes, and you have a fully automatic machine that refuels your rocket

ohiomeister

Nov 13, 2013
I really don't see the point in a renewable oil source. The Minecraft world is huge, you can travel 30,000,000 blocks out from the origin as of the 1.7.2 update. Are you really that lazy as to go out and find other oil wells? And it's not like the oil wells are hard to find either.

In the case of using villagers as a means for a renewable oil source, I really don't like the idea. It isn't too hard to farm emeralds from the villagers and in turn get a massive amount of oil. It'd probably be better to somehow manufacture another type of fuel such as ethanol. Which could be made by fermenting sugarcane, but in a way that wouldn't be so "cheaty." Maybe like one stack(64 sugarcane) = 10 units of fuel. This way you still have your renewable source, but it would be much more difficult to produce than go out and collect the oil from the naturally spawning oil wells.

NXTerminator

Feb 4, 2014
I really don't see the point in a renewable oil source. The Minecraft world is huge, you can travel 30,000,000 blocks out from the origin as of the 1.7.2 update. Are you really that lazy as to go out and find other oil wells? And it's not like the oil wells are hard to find either.

In the case of using villagers as a means for a renewable oil source, I really don't like the idea. It isn't too hard to farm emeralds from the villagers and in turn get a massive amount of oil. It'd probably be better to somehow manufacture another type of fuel such as ethanol. Which could be made by fermenting sugarcane, but in a way that wouldn't be so "cheaty." Maybe like one stack(64 sugarcane) = 10 units of fuel. This way you still have your renewable source, but it would be much more difficult to produce than go out and collect the oil from the naturally spawning oil wells.
Or coal/energy for oil

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com

That is true, I failed to consider the fact that you could trade say bread for example to get emeralds and then turn around and trade those right back to get oil so in that sense yes it could be "cheaty". Having said that the same arguement could be made for anything that villagers trade. Why bother trading emeralds for bread when you can literally gather seeds without even taking a single step from the first instant you spawn into a map (depending on where you spawn). I personally have never traded a single item with a villager because it's not necessary, but it's another option nontheless. Not to mention that no part of this idea is free. Even if you were to rely solely on villagers for an infinite source of oil you need some form of curency to trade in the first place so you still need to put in the work somewhere, whether finding oil directly, digging up your own emerald to trade, or planting 99 wheat plants to craft into 33 bread which would get you roughly 3 emerald (rough guess from "memory") and the end result is only 1 canister of oil. So in reality it is rather resource/time intensive and could (and is) argued to be not cheaty at all. You plant one seed once and it provides wheat forever and it even gives a higher return by dropping several wheat plus more seeds to multiply your existing supply, but nobody considers that cheaty.

It can be compared to growing your own food in real life. Anyone could do it and it would likely be cheaper than going to the store, but you pay someone else for taking the time and having done the work for you.

Last edited:

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I still think instead of relying on oil or thinking of ways to make oil renewable, which by definition shouldn't be, the better idea would be to think of alternate fuels. Should be able to power rockets on bio-fuel, hydrogen, electricity, etc. All offering different rates of consumption, and can be found in various mods that are already found in all/most mod packs. Hell maybe even have a rocket somehow powered by Thaumcraft essessences. The rocket might produce various good or nasty effects in the area depending on which ones you use.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
MFR has a Buildcraft oil fabricator, someone can do something like that
I think it's possible to make something, maybe an extreme compressor. all you need is a lot of fuel for the compressing and some bio-matter. (sapling, wood, etc)

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
A Minecraft world is as 8 times as large as the earth...
So actually it is finite and that's why i posted this suggestion...
Minecraft world is very large. xD You realize how large you just said it was, right? 30 million blocks from the center of the map is far. Technically, it is infinite, but the blocks become not completely true. The surface area is (prior to 1.8 beta I believe) 3,600,000,000,000 m2. The earth is 510,000,000,000 m2 surface area. 7000 times larger. Even if it was only 8 times larger, when would you run out in your life? I mean, future updates will extend the size if it became easy to reach the edge.

ERROR : It's 7 times larger. Still large though.

Last edited:

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
Minecraft world is very large. xD You realize how large you just said it was, right? 30 million blocks from the center of the map is far. Technically, it is infinite, but the blocks become not completely true. The surface area is (prior to 1.8 beta I believe) 3,600,000,000,000 m2. The earth is 510,000,000,000 m2 surface area. 7000 times larger. Even if it was only 8 times larger, when would you run out in your life? I mean, future updates will extend the size if it became easy to reach the edge.

ERROR : It's 7 times larger. Still large though.
Think of travelling hours for that quarry you just built like 50.000.000 blocks away form your house to get some oil...