Rocket Science! Aerospike Engines

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I've always been a big fan of "rapidly expanding gasses in a controlled environment, or not" ie. I love explosions! I use Legal explosives at least 3 or 4 days a year and it never gets old. I'm also a big fan of "Mho's", or raw horsepower. Be it a Hemi V8 or a Gas turbine engine(Jet), or Rocket engines, watching that raw power move something is amazing! Which brings me to this post. I've been into rocketry since I was a kid (typical for my generation, Mercury, Apollo and Moon landings), and have alway kept an eye on new engines and engine technology. Anyway I ran across this vid and I think it does a good job explaining the science behind rocket engines as well as jet engines in about 10 minutes. Although it does "focus" on the Aerospike engine (this technology is in use but not the way you may think, look at the U-2 Jet engine), it's really good at the science of it. Hope you enjoy! Aerospike Engines - Why Aren't We Using them Now? Personally I think this technology has gotten farther than the video covers, but it's really focused on getting into space, not really fast jet engines.

ps Happy Memorial Day to all my fellow Vets! Remember our fallen!

Reactions: radfast