Seeking your opinions about Zero-G movement

How do you like the Zero-Gravity motion in Galacticraft 4?

• It feels how Zero-G should be in Minecraft

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I like it except for one thing: ...

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Make it easier please: survival could be like creative

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Make it more difficult and realistic please

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Don't like it all: there should be standard gravity even in space!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If you've been testing Galacticraft 4 (or even the latest versions of Galacticraft 3), you probably noticed the updated Zero-G movement in Space Stations.

It's intended that there is Zero-G movement in Space Stations, to give a feeling of "floating around" in space - like in the movie Gravity or in the combat training chamber in the movie Ender's Game.

But we didn't want to make it so players can't move around at all! Therefore:
  • you can move using the W/S keys to give some impulse forwards or backwards
  • Jump/Sneak keys give some impulse up or down (but you have to hold them down a long time for a big change)
  • if you have your feet on a solid surface and you jump, you will first crouch down and then spring upwards - the strength of the jump depends on how long you hold the Jump key, kind of like a horse jump in vanilla Minecraft
  • if you're within arm's reach of a wall, you can use A/D to move sideways on the wall, or Jump/Sneak to move up and down on the wall
  • if you're floating freely away from the Space Station and you hit a wall - can easily happen if the station is spinning - you will be pushed by the wall, this will probably stop your motion but it can also "throw" you away from the station by centrifugal force, it depends on the spin and the relative motion of everything.

Switch to Creative mode and the movement becomes easier and more similar to flying - but obviously that's a cheat mode!

I'm interested to know what people think about this now. I know some people don't like it before...

Please vote in the poll or give your comments.

Please do not hijack the thread by requesting jetpacks, safety lines, artificial gravity machines on Space Stations or other often-requested features. This poll is only about the actual player motion without those things.

Please also remember this is Minecraft, and so there are limits on what can be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: vos and AugiteSoul

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
My own opinion:
  • it's pretty nice how it is now, certainly gives the feeling of being in Zero-G in space and something very different from being on a planet
  • it's somewhat realistic, but not so realistic that it makes it unplayable
  • the creative mode movement is obviously easier, but we don't want that in survival mode - survival mode should be harder than creative mode
  • the main missing feature is that you don't see the players arms come up to "fend off" from walls - it would be nice to see the player's arms moving along the wall, so that players understand that's how they are moving

I could now add tumbling - where you turn over and over head to toe if you move badly, or for example if you get knocked back by a mob or an explosion - but I think players will hate that, tumbling will be very disorienting and could actually make some players nauseous...

vos

May 31, 2015
I like but when I want to jump up 1 block I get stuck on the ceiling and have to wait a while to jump back down.
Maybe stairs and slabs shouldn't affect you so you could move around easier?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Kacper which exact Galacticraft version? + I don't understand what you mean about stairs and slabs?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
As to movement: perfect. As to animation: it feels like I'm a floating mannequin with rigid limbs when seen in 3rd-person view (please don't take this one too seriously, probably I was spoiled for using SmartMoving for ages and now I feel there's something missing).

I could now add tumbling
The problem with it is that I will love it, and then would want to use it beyond the original purpose. Once you add an animation for a situation over which I don't have control (e.g. explosion or mob attack), it is expectable that I will try to harness it for sake of enjoyment (to try to control/reproduce it).

but I think players will hate that, tumbling will be very disorienting and could actually make some players nauseous...

I would replace it with a 30~45° knockback animation (depicted by the 1st mannequin from the right to the left) which would last for a few seconds, and recoverable by holding forward key to correct the posture.

hAjMytA.png

(Armorer's Workshop skins if anyone interested)

I would leave the "tumbling" for something more controllable, if any.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
> I can't remember the version.

The old issues with stairs and slabs have been fixed in recent versions, anything since March/April 2017. I'm really looking here for votes and discussion about the mod in its current state in latest builds.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
I understand the idea and realism factor. It's a cool concept and again realistic. For me, I really dislike the 0 gravity feature and almost wish there was a way to turn it off. Since the initial update that added that in, I have been completely turned away from space stations because I just dislike the movement so much. I feel like the movement is "accurate" for Minecraft but for me, it just really doesn't flow or become enjoyable.

Reactions: vos

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
For me, I really dislike the 0 gravity feature and almost wish there was a way to turn it off. (...) I feel like the movement is "accurate" for Minecraft but for me, it just really doesn't flow or become enjoyable.
Not wanting to be picky but I'm interested to hear a more precise reason for disliking. Something like "I don't like this because it won't let me do X" or "I can't do this Y anymore", or you miss something.:)

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Not wanting to be picky but I'm interested to hear a more precise reason for disliking. Something like "I don't like this because it won't let me do X" or "I can't do this Y anymore", or you miss something.:)

No worries, I understand. For me it was very interesting and cool before to have a space station. I enjoyed making some cool oxygen set up with sealers. Friends and I on servers would progress through the main mod and occasionally use add-ons to spice things up. Before we would go to Mars we would always build a space station. Since the update that added the zero gravity, none of us seem to want to do it anymore. I understand the "realism" that's being targeted. It's just frustrating and almost tedious to work in. Sometimes while building along the edges of structures you fall off and then continuously drift off, you're constantly running into walls, and overall the entire control scheme just feels way less responsive and almost like I'm playing on a delay. Can't stress enough that this is really a cool concept; however, for me, it's just a bit too annoying to deal with. Ever since it came out I was wishing for a way to toggle it on or off. I'd definitely say the overall feel is what I dislike most, and perhaps there is a way to improve it for me but I just don't know how. The creative mode feel idea suggested maybe could help but again that's up to the devs. I personally wish that there was an option in the config to toggle it on or off but I'm assuming that's something a bit out of reach or way too much work to be developed.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Platinum_Fox

Aug 17, 2016
www.youtube.com
I like it, But i do think that the player accelerates to fast when going forward. also i think the tumbling idea is amazing and i would love to see it implemented somehow (maybe have the ability to turn it off via config file for players who do not want it). over all i like it but i think it could use some tweaks such as speed, tumbling (sounds so cool), player animations, etc...

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
is this also on the asteroids?
Currently asteroids is not zero-G, but it's going to be, as @radfast said:

It's maybe also possible that we will make Asteroids a zero G dimension at some future time - personally I hate the gravity there as I'm always falling out of the world - or introduce some of the mechanics in (4) and (5) into low gravity worlds as well as zero G worlds.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Sometimes while building along the edges of structures you fall off and then continuously drift off, you're constantly running into walls, and overall the entire control scheme just feels way less responsive and almost like I'm playing on a delay. Can't stress enough that this is really a cool concept; however, for me, it's just a bit too annoying to deal with.
I think this is part that well describe the general criticism about the zero-g moment: the lack of fine control.

I can pretty much fly and move freely around when it comes to, say, large portions of the structure or space. However, if I want to focus on a small bit of the structure, I want to alternate between standing still and perform small quick movements.

Interestingly I can build anything in the vanilla creative fly mode, but in GC zero-G the controls are slippery. I keep moving even if I tap the WASD keys very slightly in attempt to stabilize the movements. @radfast implemented a method to "navigate" the structure in the reach:

if you're within arm's reach of a wall, you can use A/D to move sideways on the wall, or Jump/Sneak to move up and down on the wall

But still I feel it lacks a way to stabilize the movements and lessen the slipperiness. My Ideas:
  1. Grabbing: rightclick a solid block or a container in the arm's reach to quickly slow down and stop. Or to move towards the structure as if you were grabbing and pulling it.
  2. Stabilization: a key combination to slow down and stop still. (hold down sneak+jump?)
Being frank, do I want the zero-g to go? No. In fact, I love it. I remember I kept falling off the SS in GC1, so that I started to use MPS jet boots to reproduce the zero-G to be able to work beneath the structures without the need of scaffolding (which requires being torn down afterwards):

In principle, I don't oppose the config option idea, but I rather want to improve what we have now and avoid creating two too-distinct gameplay styles.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This is helpful, keep it coming :)

I think I understand the main request here to be more intuitive ways for fine movements, e.g. < 1 block repositionings.

We are definitely looking at doing more about "grabbing", that's something micdoodle8 and I are jointly working on currently.

Srsam

May 19, 2017
If you can script this, have you movements 'charge.' For example, if I hold down D for two seconds, I would be moving slower than if I held D for four seconds.

Louby65

Jun 1, 2017
I like it but there needs to be a little more fine tuning for example throwing an item at a wall pushes you back.

Sorry. I'm a space nerd.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I would leave the "tumbling" for something more controllable, if any.

Just a random thought: double-space or other keybind could be used to unlock/lock the torso rotation. I combine SmartMoving and MCHeli to sort of "mimic" tumbling and pivot in the space station dimension.

xuuLmNP.png

x1nxGJd.png

If torso pivot off: torso is always up as vanilla. If torso pivot on: torso can pivot freely around the 3 axes (yaw, pitch, and roll like in MCHeli with mouse).

EDIT:

Not exactly what I described above, just an idea of torso pivoting around a non-Y axis:

Last edited: