Server admin options to create public Space Stations

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
This should be for singleplayer to!
If someone makes a space station and makes a public download of it, you cannot enter it due to the rule of "Only owners of the space stations can enter their space stations and none else!"

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Derp! Sorry, didn't notice that XD
I almost never touch a mod's config!

Sometimes there's no choice. With 160+ mods installed :p I sometimes have to change item/block IDs. And some mods have balance features in the configs to tone down things like oil or copper generation when you've got 6 mods that use it and so generate their own amounts.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Sometimes there's no choice. With 160+ mods installed :p I sometimes have to change item/block IDs. And some mods have balance features in the configs to tone down things like oil or copper generation when you've got 6 mods that use it and so generate their own amounts.
In that case, I reinstall Minecraft because it's to annoying to enter random ID numbers on every block there is in a mod!

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
I had something like this working in 1.6.4...
Well....it was quite "workaround" , but it worked a little
I made my station and then made it via Multiverse plugin like "normal world"....there were some consequences....the background, gravity, etc remained, also being able to go there via rocket....but there was no need of air sealers, also if going away to generate new chunks, it generated normal world :D
However, I had small spawn on normal world and teleporter via commandblock to space station, where I built bigger spawn with infos, etc. However, we never finished it inside and now it is abandoned, because of needed wipe on 1.7 update...

Nowadays, it will be WAY easier with GC teleporters and all that infinite energy options...and probably it can work with Multiworld forge mod, you can try. If it won´t work, make from your space station "normal" dimension, then you can access it via other plugins or mods...

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I had something like this working in 1.6.4...
Well....it was quite "workaround" , but it worked a little
I made my station and then made it via Multiverse plugin like "normal world"....there were some consequences....the background, gravity, etc remained, also being able to go there via rocket....but there was no need of air sealers, also if going away to generate new chunks, it generated normal world :D
However, I had small spawn on normal world and teleporter via commandblock to space station, where I built bigger spawn with infos, etc. However, we never finished it inside and now it is abandoned, because of needed wipe on 1.7 update...

Nowadays, it will be WAY easier with GC teleporters and all that infinite energy options...and probably it can work with Multiworld forge mod, you can try. If it won´t work, make from your space station "normal" dimension, then you can access it via other plugins or mods...

That's a nice work around, but nah.

Having an option in GC to do this would be a lot better, and without the drawbacks you mentioned.

Reactions: MoltonMontro

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Hey @DexLuther - I hadn't seen this idea, I have not (yet) read all the suggestions made before I joined the team.

The central idea of having one space station to which all players are auto-invited (including new players joining the server, and without the admins needing to type any commands) is a good one. That should be easy enough to implement, though it means adding yet another config.

Having players spawn in that dimension instead of on the Overworld is something server owners will have to figure out. I'm fairly sure Bukkit plugins for example Essentials can do this, but I don't remember exactly how. Alternatively, there's a mod named Perfect Spawn. Either way, it is not necessary for GC to do this.

Server owners will need to think carefully about whether they really want to do this, given that space station dimensions have no gravity now (in GC3) so noobs will find it challenging to move around and might leave the server. There's also an issue that Essentials teleporting is - apparently - unable to teleport players to a sealed space, because it thinks the GC breathable air blocks are solid, so it will put teleporting players outside the space. Which isn't good, as that should be hard vacuum.

A better idea might be a dimension which "looks" like a spacestation but is actually Overworld-type with regular air and gravity. That's something server owners can build for themselves, though I guess they would appreciate borrowing the sky from a GC space station dimension, if there are windows etc - can probably even make that spin.

For the historical MCPC+ comments earlier in this thread, I hope server admins have by now all read this:
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...n-dimensions-a-thread-for-server-admins.4044/

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Public space station should be bound to some virtual player then, for example same as [Forestry] or [Buildcraft] uses "fake" players to do things, the same would be good for this space station, because me as server admin, I dont want to make one station on my name to be public and lose possibility to have my own not public one... :)
Maybe config file in the directory of saved station determining that each station´s name, access, etc? Or we now can modify ome files yet to change these things?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Hey @DexLuther - I hadn't seen this idea, I have not (yet) read all the suggestions made before I joined the team.

The central idea of having one space station to which all players are auto-invited (including new players joining the server, and without the admins needing to type any commands) is a good one. That should be easy enough to implement, though it means adding yet another config.

Having players spawn in that dimension instead of on the Overworld is something server owners will have to figure out. I'm fairly sure Bukkit plugins for example Essentials can do this, but I don't remember exactly how. Alternatively, there's a mod named Perfect Spawn. Either way, it is not necessary for GC to do this.

Server owners will need to think carefully about whether they really want to do this, given that space station dimensions have no gravity now (in GC3) so noobs will find it challenging to move around and might leave the server. There's also an issue that Essentials teleporting is - apparently - unable to teleport players to a sealed space, because it thinks the GC breathable air blocks are solid, so it will put teleporting players outside the space. Which isn't good, as that should be hard vacuum.

A better idea might be a dimension which "looks" like a spacestation but is actually Overworld-type with regular air and gravity. That's something server owners can build for themselves, though I guess they would appreciate borrowing the sky from a GC space station dimension, if there are windows etc - can probably even make that spin.

For the historical MCPC+ comments earlier in this thread, I hope server admins have by now all read this:
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...n-dimensions-a-thread-for-server-admins.4044/

Thanks for your reply.

The gravity issue isn't as big of an issue. Most people that join modded servers have at least some experience with the mods installed on the server, so they should know what they are getting into :)

Another option would be server admins add a mod I enjoyed a lot in the past. http://forum.minecraftuser.jp/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17975

Although I don't know if it's been updated for the new versions of Minecraft, here's a video of it in action:

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

The gravity issue isn't as big of an issue. Most people that join modded servers have at least some experience with the mods installed on the server, so they should know what they are getting into :)

Another option would be server admins add a mod I enjoyed a lot in the past. http://forum.minecraftuser.jp/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17975

Although I don't know if it's been updated for the new versions of Minecraft, here's a video of it in action:
This is from StarMiner mod, we had some experiments with it :D But is is not updated and not really compatible with few other mods....and it is made by Japanese, o there is quite bariere and no github or similar things that would make possible to update it by our powers...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Hanakocz - I don't like 'fake player' solutions, we can just code a public station not to need a player as owner.

@Dex Luther - I don't agree with you about the experience point, easily 50% of players joining a public server are noobs who only came on the server because their friend told them about it, or they played the modpack for about 10 minutes in SSP before being bored and looking for a server. I used to be manager of the most popular Voltz server (probably the most popular public server running Galacticraft), so I do have some experience of this.

The Japanese mod 'Star Miner', as I've posted elsewhere it has some nice coding tricks to make the gravity rotate, but unsurprisingly it has compatibility issues with Galacticraft's gravity, see https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/533

We are still looking at ways for spinning space stations to have artificial gravity in Galacticraft. Currently there is a scientifically-accurate centrifugal force effect but you'll only "feel" it in a few situations near the outside edge of the space station, it's a bit glitchy. Probably we will change that to an artificial gravity downwards, whose strength varies according to the spin. That's not totally scientifically accurate, but it will probably make more sense to the majority of players in gameplay terms, and it makes more sense in Minecraft as it avoids the "standing on the wall" problem of Star Miner. The "standing on the wall" problem is that it's not possible to change block orientations, for example to put plants or enchantment tables or flowing water on their sides, or even if you could do that the mechanics, meaning things like wires and cables and hoppers and redstone, would be all messed up at chunk boundaries.