Silicon Spawn Rate?

Gazz44

Sep 29, 2014
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble with finding silicon. I've checked 5 different canyons (making sure its within the 0-25 Y axis range), and even made a mine myself that spans over 15 chunks, and still no silicon. Is silicon a biome specific ore?

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Silicon spawns everywhere, but it is kinda rare resource (maybe more or same rare, as diamonds)

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Okay, so then make sure that in your config, you have this line:
Code:
# If this is enabled, silicon ore will generate on the overworld.
    B:"Enable Silicon Ore Gen"=false
I have it on false so I have no silicon (I am using gregtech to get some) but you need to have it on true to have silicon.....
and you also need a lot of deep dig luck:p

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's not biome specific, and it is there. Just now in the latest GC build I made a new world dug down and found Silicon Ore in less than 2 minutes.

It's rather rare compared with metal ores - but it is more common than diamond or lapis lazuli. On average, there should be around 15 blocks of Silicon Ore per chunk, in two or three 'veins' of up to 7 ore blocks each.

You were correct to make your search between heights y = 1 and y = 25. I recommend search between y = 15 and y = 25 - the probability of finding it will be a little higher there. It's because deeper down, below y = 15, there is more other stuff (bedrock / lava / redstone / diamonds / etc) so less places where silicon ore could be.

Gazz44

Sep 29, 2014
And make sure you use a fortune pick :)

Can I quadruple the fortune onto a pickaxe in case i find some. jk :p

is there a way to test if silicon has spawned.... i.e a command i can use in a command block?

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
As far as i know silicon is very rare. in my survival world i got about 6 so far while my rocket was just complete...
Can I quadruple the fortune onto a pickaxe in case i find some. jk :p
You can use TMI for that, did it once and it was awesome. :D

Gazz44

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks Hanakocz.... I checked and there is silicon.... its just bloody hard to find.... I had to go 3K away to find any