Sleep in a bed when the room is sealed

What do you think?

• Total voters

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
I have a cool, but not so scientific idea. When you take a bed to space, it says you might die of oxygen loss. My suggestion is if you have some kind of Oxygen Sealer, or Oxygen Bubble Distributer, then you should be able to sleep with still a risk of oxygen loss. It would be one of those, "Do at your own risk" kind of things. It might not seem good, but:
  1. You'd sleep though a good chunk of time
  2. It would decrease the need for desh.
  3. It would be entirely the player's decision, and
  4. You wouldn't entirely die, because...
You guys can also add a function to the oxygen mask so that it tells you when your oxygen is low, and you would be woken up when it is low, so that you would still have time to refill it... if you can. If you don't have the necessary materials yet, then don't sleep!

Reactions: C.L.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I don't really sleep in this game(other than to set my spawn), since there is nothing to gain from it. There are O2 sensors that I set up to start bubble gens from isolated O2 storage tanks. Plus there is now the Emergency Kits that give you an OBA(Oxygen Breathing Apparatus). I may agree with it for the moon, but is space in 0g you can't sleep on anything, every movement you make will send you flying off, and in low g same effect, which is why astronauts sleep strapped into their lauch seat, or special "sleeping bags". Not to mention the reason for automated systems and checklists for sleep time, Anoxia and Hypoxia will kill you, since both will lead to HAPE(High-altitude pulmonary edema). Anyway probably more than you want to hear...

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Hey QuadShot,

Thanks for your reply. This idea was actually meant for the moon, because most of the time, moon nights are super long. Maybe they could add a new type of bed with steel, or something easy. But it could only be for moons or planets. Also thanks for the science lesson. Maybe you could check out my airlocks suggestion? Here's the link: https://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/airlocks.6897/

PhysicalNova

Jun 21, 2018
France
Actually, there's the cryogenic chamber, but you have to get on Mars, it requires ressources and time. T
here's an alternative solution : you can pass time on the Overworld and wait until it's the day on the Moon ! (Maybe you can calculate a ratio of overworld/moon days).
If you could sleep in a bed in space (or planets/sattelites), the cryogenic chamber would be useless.
Furtermore, the vanilla bed's mechanics change the time related to the Overworld. However, (you'll notice it by using a clock on the moon) one moon night, for exemple, is multiple overworld full days, so it would be complicated to code (maybe, I'm not a professionnal).
I hope it helped you, have a nice day !

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Hey PhysicalNova,
Thanks for the reply. The point of this feature was not meant to pass the night, it was for passing a CHUNK of a night. This would make cyrogenic chambers still usable, because they would be used to pass the entire night. As I said before, this idea would be mostly used for the moon, as the moon nights are incredibly long. I understand how this might be hard to code in, but in my root post, I did say that this idea was “not so scientific“, so it doesn't have to be implemented if the Galacticraft developers are aiming for science. Anyway, I do feel like my reply is a little rude, but I don't mean any of that. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing :).
Thanks,
Cerebot

PhysicalNova

Jun 21, 2018
France
I understand you perfectly. You aren't rude at all. It is true that moon nights are incredibly long, and that skipping chunks of night could be handy. If you like, someone with enough skills could make an addon for that I think. I would try if I had the skills. Maybe you could ask or make a proposition in the addons/ressourcepacks section, and maybe someone will make this idea come true !
Thanks for reading, I hope that it helped you. Have a nice day !

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Hey PhysicalNova,
Thanks for understanding. I might follow your advice and post this in the add-ons/resources section of the forum. You have a nice day too!
Thanks,
Cerebot

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
This post somewhat sums up the discussion.

Sleeping on a normal bed would make sense if two criteria are met:
  1. Day length not much longer than 24 hours (20 minutes).
  2. Enough gravity to lay on a bed.
As to #1, this one is hard to explain:
  • if the day is long, like on the moon or Venus, a normal bed couldn't keep you sleeping for more than a half Earth day unless you are using something special that freezes you, like a cryochamber.
  • skipping nighttime as we do would force us to choose either:
    • You can save oxygen: you sleep whole night and not consume oxygen, which means circumventing the game.
    • You can't save oxygen: the game would abstract the air points for the remaining nighttime. But what if you go to bed with little oxygen? You are dead before next sunrise.
As to #2, a sleeping bag would be better.

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Hey Ezer'Arch,
Thanks so much for replying to my post. Let me address all the points in your post.
  1. I noticed in your first bullet for explaining #1, you said
    a normal bed couldn't keep you sleeping for more than a half Earth day
    This was the entire point of the idea. I didn't mean for it to pass the entire night:). I just wanted it to skip part of the night.
  2. In your second bullet, I would pick number 2:
    You can't save oxygen: the game would abstract the air points for the remaining nighttime.
    This is a really good idea. Also, you said that,
    But what if you go to bed with little oxygen? You are dead before next sunrise.
    In my root post, I did say
    It would be one of those, "Do at your own risk" kind of things.
    It would completely be your option. Considering your possibility, if you had low enough oxygen, say below 250, you would get the chat message, "You can only sleep with 250+ oxygen for safety reasons.", or something like that. Considering another possibility, if you were to sleep while you have mid-full oxygen, when you get low oxygen while in bed, you would get a warning, waking you up, giving you enough time to refill.
  3. In you explanantion for number #2, you said a sleeping bag would be better. Maybe it could be a high tech sleeping bag, using glass, advanced wafers, redstone, and some others. Here is an idea for a crafting recipe:
upload_2018-8-27_15-47-47.pngThis would make a Space Bag. The bed could be any color, and if you can, the color of the bed would correspond to the color of the space bag. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
Cerebot

Last edited: