Smarter evolved mobs

What do you think about my idea?

• for me it's the same: I play in paceful/I sleep always at night

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I don't really think that any AI can detect exactly WHAT a players base is defined by, and where the entrances are. Yeah, I think that's completely impossible.
It's exceptionally possible, and has been done before on non-MineCraft mods. The real question is whether or not MineCraft would work well with such A.I.

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
It's exceptionally possible, and has been done before on non-MineCraft mods. The real question is whether or not MineCraft would work well with such A.I.
It's not possible to detect what exactly a players base is, what the doors are, etc. without making the player do some shizz where they mark it off themselves and say where each door is. That would just be silly...

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
It's not possible to detect what exactly a players base is, what the doors are, etc. without making the player do some shizz where they mark it off themselves and say where each door is. That would just be silly...
Command Blocks can be used to detect if a block is located in an area, which could be used similarly to map out an AI path for mobs while constantly detecting other mobs tracking the target to send different mobs depending on species, current health, and attack to areas nearer, farther, or ahead of the player while constantly analyzing paths already set for some mobs to allow other mobs to be assigned to the best possible path to hunt down the Player(s). Though, I predict this would cause phenomenal amounts of lag and would possibly turn players away from GalactiCraft. I also personally disagree with this suggestion, it just seems too advanced for the game to seem like Action/Adventure/Sandbox/Survival/Puzzle and not a Horror/Survival.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Personally I don't like the mobs in Galacticraft being called "evolved" and would rather have them renamed (generic alternative: Space Zombie, Space Skeleton, etc.). Hostile mobs in Minecraft are of a supernatural attire, so I think their origin could derive inspiration from mythology even in Galacticraft.

For example, zombies and skeletons could assume influence from the Phantom Cosmonauts. Zombies could wear a worn-out space suit with a cracked visor partly revealing the face, while skeletons are seemingly even older (or possibly scorched) with the visor being completely destroyed and the suit only some ragged remains hanging on the torso. Being undeads (of outer space), they shouldn't need life-support to remain animated in the cold vacuum, but they could still be vulnerable to disintegration by the intensity of unshielded solar radiation.

Either they could become more sparse (and gradually replaced by more exotic alternatives) the further away you get from your homeworld, or they could be a reoccurring type of generic space mob, which would imply you're hardly ever a pioneer. Still, it would be cool with something more original for each world rather than merely making a space themed version of every mob found in Minecraft.

Anyhow, I don't know about creepers and spiders. Perhaps they could take on a more native and camouflaged appearance (though I still like another concept about creepers being "the green men from Mars"), superficially (I.E. not an actual feature) dormant during the days as creatures resembling surface rocks or something.

When it comes to AI, the biggest shortcoming is mob pathfinding because it sure isn't taking advantage of the higher jumps granted when in lower gravity. Nevertheless, a mod known as Zombie Awareness actually has some of suggested features (attraction to artificial light and sticks in groups) among many other features, and that sure puts quite a twist on the game!

Jul 13, 2014
a mod known as Zombie Awareness actually has some of suggested features (attraction to artificial light and sticks in groups) among many other features, and that sure puts quite a twist on the game!
I tryed that mod, but do nothing... can you say me why? for the rest of the comment I agree

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I tryed that mod, but do nothing... can you say me why? for the rest of the comment I agree

All that should be required is extracting the jar files located a few folders deep within the zip. Though if you've already succeeded at that then it could be a issue with whatever version of the mod you are using. I've only been using v1.91 for Minecraft 1.6.4 so far.

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
Personally I don't like the mobs in Galacticraft being called "evolved" and would rather have them renamed (generic alternative: Space Zombie, Space Skeleton, etc.). Hostile mobs in Minecraft are of a supernatural attire, so I think their origin could derive inspiration from mythology even in Galacticraft.

For example, zombies and skeletons could assume influence from the Phantom Cosmonauts. Zombies could wear a worn-out space suit with a cracked visor partly revealing the face, while skeletons are seemingly even older (or possibly scorched) with the visor being completely destroyed and the suit only some ragged remains hanging on the torso. Being undeads (of outer space), they shouldn't need life-support to remain animated in the cold vacuum, but they could still be vulnerable to disintegration by the intensity of unshielded solar radiation.

Either they could become more sparse (and gradually replaced by more exotic alternatives) the further away you get from your homeworld, or they could be a reoccurring type of generic space mob, which would imply you're hardly ever a pioneer. Still, it would be cool with something more original for each world rather than merely making a space themed version of every mob found in Minecraft.

Anyhow, I don't know about creepers and spiders. Perhaps they could take on a more native and camouflaged appearance (though I still like another concept about creepers being "the green men from Mars"), superficially (I.E. not an actual feature) dormant during the days as creatures resembling surface rocks or something.

When it comes to AI, the biggest shortcoming is mob pathfinding because it sure isn't taking advantage of the higher jumps granted when in lower gravity. Nevertheless, a mod known as Zombie Awareness actually has some of suggested features (attraction to artificial light and sticks in groups) among many other features, and that sure puts quite a twist on the game!
What is it with you and amazing ideas....

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I've looked at some of these suggestions for the 3.0.9 changes to Evolved mobs (especially in Hard Mode). Unfortunately, due to the way Minecraft is coded - all mobs use the same vanilla "pathfinding" system, which is buried at the heart of mob AI - it would be extremely difficult to change things about the pathfinding or the AI.

In 3.0.9 what I've done is:
* mobs jump is reduced in low gravity, so the mob can only jump around 1 block high (probably can't now jump over fences, but actually I have not yet tested that so if someone wants to, it could be good)
* in Hard Mode, mobs (especially Evolved Zombie and Evolved Spider) move faster - it's pretty hard to outrun an Evolved Spider now
* in Hard Mode, Evolved Zombie can "see" the player further away and so will follow you for longer
* all mobs do more damage in Hard Mode
http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Whats_New#Latest_versions

About the jump, there is no point in having the mob jump 2 blocks high when the AI does not "understand" that it can jump so high and so does not chase the player up a 2-block pillar. And actually the mob is more dangerous with a smaller jump, because its feet stay on the ground for longer so it can chase you more effectively. My idea is that the Evolved mobs know how to handle low gravity better than players do.

I will look at doing more than this for Hard Mode in future, but any future changes will only come slowly.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Maybe the zombie tiers would be a bit to hard to fight against. Especially in places like asteroids, where 1 freaking skeleton will keep you in the air floating on its knock back just out of range of a sword. The so-called 'evolved' mobs should definitely get better AI though, the current one is pretty lacking to their environment. The idea of the reanimated cosmonaut would be a great idea though, as it gives a reason for their existence. I do think that they should become rarer the father away from earth you get. Some planets should also have their own exclusive life forms, but some should be dangerous enough without mobs. An idea for danger on mercury, for example, is to make it so you can only travel at night, because if you travel during the day, you are exposed to solar radiation, which will slowly kill you (Similar to Ic2 radiation, except slowed down.) Another idea would be to have Io, jupiter's moon, to have extreme earthquakes and volcanic activity on it 24/7.

Mar 8, 2015
Natural events in planets could work or maybe during these events certain things could be damage after the diasters strikes

BJ97

Apr 12, 2015
Australia
what about that storm that is everlasting on mars couldn't that be implemented? that'd be really insteresting then you'd have to start preparing a little more for mars

Mar 8, 2015
You do realized an endless storm could be annoying, if they are implementing that they need to have it a no of chance to happen

Mar 8, 2015
You do realized an endless storm could be annoying, if they are implementing that they need to have it a no of chance to happen