Solar panel arrays for space stations

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
The solar panels that Micdoodle provided are really pretty nice: see them here.

It was a big surprise. While they fit pretty nice with ground bases, I was thinking of a GC addition that could be used in a space station, suspended "airborne" panels, like this:

bkKWMMo.png

(I used light sensors in the example)

I could make panels made of modules that can be connected to each other and transmit energy through the modules up to 8 blocks to a point where the energy is concentrated and sent through cables.

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I'd like to add something and maybe get some feedback and improve the idea (which is old).

This kind of solar panel would be able to collect sunlight on both sides, this means it would be generating energy as long as the Sun is not "hidden" behind the Overworld, between 3h00 (3AM) and 21h00(9PM).

Ops. The Xeno

May 3, 2014
I really like this idea, I hope it is added because using the regular solar panels isn't quite efficient with space stations.

armdn

Jul 18, 2014
How about to create a solar panels arrays for space stations with horizontal and vertical orientation and automatic rotation? Also modular type, for extending arrays. Like on real space stations. Current solar panels good for horizontal planet surface, but in for space station they looks pretty big...

Chronos7

May 13, 2015
Man this would be so cool to have. They can go in and out right? Like when u dont want them out they fold in?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This will probably happen at some point, it's an idea I very much like.

Currently (in GC 3.0.12) the existing GC Solar Panels, when used on space stations, will shut down from around 10.30pm to 1.30am because the sun is behind the Overworld. But they are bulky and don't look great on space stations, we need something better.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch
Mar 8, 2015
This will probably happen at some point, it's an idea I very much like.

Currently (in GC 3.0.12) the existing GC Solar Panels, when used on space stations, will shut down from around 10.30pm to 1.30am because the sun is behind the Overworld. But they are bulky and don't look great on space stations, we need something better.
I agree with him, I think it needs to be mid slim