Solar powered Quarry

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
I'm playing Moonquest, which uses Galacticraft and Buildcraft. And for the life of me I can't figure out how to power a quarry with GC's Advanced Solar Panels. Everything I've googled either ends up being the wrong type of solar panels (from a different mod), or requires a conversion method that doesn't exist in the mods I have..

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
Does it just not power up, or do the wires not even connect? I'm 99% certain I've powered a mining well with an energy storage module so the two mods should be compatible as far as power is concerned.

Well, I've tried several configs. I've tried with wires going to stirling engines and the stirling engines going to the quarry via conductive pipes. That made the stirling engines pump, and I saw electricity flowing, but the quarry didn't do anything.

I've tried from the solar panel right to the quarry via wires and pipes, neither of which worked.

I've tried solar panel -> energy storage module -> quarry via pipes and wires and THAT didn't work.

The only time anything worked is when I put the solar panel directly next to the quarry, but it powered the quarry very very slowly with an advanced solar panel.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Hmm, that is a little strange.

I've tried solar panel -> energy storage module -> quarry via pipes and wires and THAT didn't work.

I'm not sure if you mean you used a combination of pipes AND wires or if you tried pipes and THEN wires, but since it worked (albeit slowly) by using just a solar panel directly touching the quarry I imagine it should work if you wired the solar panel directly to the quarry without a storage module (although that shouldn't affect it). I've been under the impression that quarries are a bit power hungry, and I don't mean in the megalomaniacal way, lawls. You may need several solar panels to power the quarry, unless you've already tried multiple panels.

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
Hmm, that is a little strange.

I'm not sure if you mean you used a combination of pipes AND wires or if you tried pipes and THEN wires, but since it worked (albeit slowly) by using just a solar panel directly touching the quarry I imagine it should work if you wired the solar panel directly to the quarry without a storage module (although that shouldn't affect it). I've been under the impression that quarries are a bit power hungry, and I don't mean in the megalomaniacal way, lawls. You may need several solar panels to power the quarry, unless you've already tried multiple panels.

Haven't tried multiples wired directly to it yet, no. Just multiples wired to engines piped to the quarry. I'll try the wires again with multiple panels, but I'm pretty sure I tried wires before with 1 panel and it did nothing. But I'll try again.

Do I need certain kinds of wire? Or just the heavy aluminum wire?

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
I just use the regular Aluminum Wire for everything, but the Heavy Aluminum Wire might help since it has less electrical resistance. Especially since it may be an issue of being underpowered.

Thanks for being helpful even though I'm on a different modpack. The denizens of the tekkit forums were pretty uptight and kept reminding me I was in the wrong forum.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Thanks for being helpful even though I'm on a different modpack. The denizens of the tekkit forums were pretty uptight and kept reminding me I was in the wrong forum.

No problem! I mean hey, you are using Galacticraft after all. It shouldn't make a difference just because it's part of a pack. Well, except if that pack has an outdated version of the mod, but I checked that just to make sure when helping you out.

I would like to think everybody would try to help as much as possible until they reach a point where they don't know the answer. We're all just trying to have fun so why not help others have fun along the way.

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
No problem! I mean hey, you are using Galacticraft after all. It shouldn't make a difference just because it's part of a pack. Well, except if that pack has an outdated version of the mod, but I checked that just to make sure when helping you out.

I would like to think everybody would try to help as much as possible until they reach a point where they don't know the answer. We're all just trying to have fun so why not help others have fun along the way.

I really wish Galacticraft had auto-miners or at least tools to make mining faster so I wouldn't have to cross-pollinate between mods.

FatedOne

Oct 14, 2013
Have you tried using the universal cable from Makanism going directly from the solar panel to the quarry?

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
UPDATE: So I was just playing around in creative mode. Results: you need at least 10 Advanced Solar Panels to power a quarry...at the lowest level (red laser). So yeah, a quarry is VERY demanding. 15 will get you at least a green laser and possibly a blue one.

Side note: A filler requires a minimum of about five solar panels.

On the plus side it does in fact work, it just requires a lot of power.

bridgeburner

Dec 5, 2013
UPDATE: So I was just playing around in creative mode. Results: you need at least 10 Advanced Solar Panels to power a quarry...at the lowest level (red laser). So yeah, a quarry is VERY demanding. 15 will get you at least a green laser and possibly a blue one.

Side note: A filler requires a minimum of about five solar panels.

On the plus side it does in fact work, it just requires a lot of power.
I see. Thanks. I guess the closest thing we can get to a renewably powered quarry then is sterlings powered by charcoal.