Space Stations Appear To Orbit (just some eyecandy)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PatriotAtwood, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PatriotAtwood

PatriotAtwood Member

Hey guys. So I've built a sizable space station on a server and use it as my main base of operations. Anyways, I was looking out of the windows down onto the overworld and thought "man, it would be cool if, like the stars, the overworld appeared to rotate beneath me to make it seem like I were orbiting it. Maybe have it similar to the lunar cycles but instead of having it change from Moon/Dark make it appear like the land is moving over and Europe, Africa, and Asia are also coming into view, making it seem like the space station is in orbit. Just a thought.

2. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

Very much like!!

PatriotAtwood likes this.
  3. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

Well the starts already go move around. I go agree that it would be cool if the planet below was rotating to make it seem like the space station is in orbit.

The planet below should rotate pretty quickly. If you look at video of the ISS looking down from orbit, it's moving pretty damn quick. It travels (or falls) around the earth at 28,000 kilometers per hour!

The only problem with the idea is that the planet should appear as a cube, but there's no edges when you're on the surface. It's just infinite (or close to infinite), so being a sphere would make more sense.

Those places don't exist in minecraft.

4. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

Yeah I believe the ISS sees a sunrise every 45 minutes.

Although Europe, Asia, and Africa don't exist in Minecraft neither do North and South America, but the current Overworld seen from space appear to resemble them.

5. PatriotAtwood

PatriotAtwood Member

Well, from my current knowledge, the average artificial satalite would have a sunset every 90minutes. And I don't believe that the overworld would have to appear as a sphere, but still square, the only really change is what the square looks like. Maybe create separate sections of a rectangle (like the one shown) but only allow a certain amount of that image to be shown at any time and slices of it are taken away and brought in every so often ticks. Similar to the moon phases but much faster and the changes are a little smaller.

Attached Files:

6. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

I'm still torn on what the suggested shape of the planet should me. Considering it's minecraft it should probably be a cube planet. Or maybe just a square slab.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

Donzaffi likes this.
  7. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

I must be thinking of the amount of daylight, making the entire cycle 90 minutes.

8. Donzaffi

Donzaffi Member

Nice pic ;)
    where do you get it from, reminds me of an old idea of mine

9. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

Google images

10. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

Nothing indicated that the minecraft world is round. In fact all signs point to it being flat. Also cubes are sort of the Minecraft theme, so I see no reason why the planet wouldn't be a cube or at least square and flat.

11. Donzaffi

Donzaffi Member

I think I throw in a name : Terry Pratchet

12. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

Wait, is that a suggestion or are you stating that as fact?

I don't think the earth looks flat. You can see the curve when you look at the horizon. And even if you arranged 1,000,000 blocks in a row (and I mean actual perfect cubes), they would still be flat. They just wouldn't rest flat on the surface of the earth. The human body has a center of gravity, but clearly people aren't round blobs (well most aren't). Just because gravity exists doesn't mean it can't be overcome by structural rigidity. Just look at the many massive skyscrapers in existence.

Most importantly...it's Minecraft. We can do whatever we want :) Why not make a squar earth since everything is square.

PatriotAtwood likes this.
  13. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

Yes, but that's due to centrifugal force from the earth's rotation, not gravity.

14. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

I'm no scientologist, but I wouldn't think so. I imagine it would just make for a slightly misshapen cube. The earth doesn't spin all that fast. If it spun fast enough it would end up as a nearly flat disc.

15. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

That's my point, it doesn't spin fast enough to drastically change it's shape. And we're talking about two different things now. The flattening would be a result of centrifugal force, not gravity. Like someone tossing pizza dough, for example. Whereas gravity counteracts that bulging effect on such a large scale by pulling all that mass back towards the center.

But again, we're comparing Minecraft physics to real world. Although it might be influenced by reality, it doesn't have to simulate it

16. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

Get ready to have your own blown. The world in Minecraft DOES have an edge. If if was a sphere and you walked in a straight line, you'd expect to eventually end up where you started. This is NOT the case in Minecraft. The fact that it's rumored to teleport you is moot. It doesn't do it, so whatever ideas were intended whether they be fact or rumor is absolutely pointless. Physics doesn't care about intentions, rumors or unimplemented ideas.

If you drop a marble on a table, it will fall according to the laws of physics. It doesn't matter that you intended there to be some second force acting on the marble as it fell. It wasn't there.

All evidence CURRENTLY IN MINECRAFT shows that it's planet would be a cube or a flat square slab. Minecraft IS NOT EARTH. Real world physics don't apply anyways. The theme of minecraft is that everything is cuboid or is at least square.

Most galaxies are disc shaped.

Accretion discs are named such because of their shape.

Our solar system is a disc shape with only I believe Pluto being different and having an orbit that's angled about 40 degrees with relation to all the other bodies.

The matter stuck in a black hole's gravity tends to form a disc.

Angular momentum is conserved.

#16 Dex Luther, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Douglas_Fresh likes this.
  17. Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh Member

You don't see sides because it has no "sides". It is a flat, imaginary world on a digital plane. It's not based on real life and has a "...theoretically infinite map..." according to http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Overworld#Map_limitation.

So back to the topic, there is no reason the Overworld (not Earth) can't be a giant cube just because Micdoodle8 wants it to be.

18. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

Also just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there, and it STILL doesn't mean the minecraft world is round.

You seemed to have ignored like 95% of my post just to focus on the word "Cube" and say "No it's not it's round." It's not round. Practically nothing in Minecraft is round. Get over it.

19. MasterOanarchY

MasterOanarchY Moderator
    Staff Member

Minecraft is flat. When you sail to one side you don't appear to be sinking like on earth. Done, solved.

Douglas_Fresh likes this.
  20. Dex Luther

Dex Luther Member

I win again! :D