Space Stations Appear To Orbit (just some eyecandy)

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Minecraft is flat. When you sail to one side you don't appear to be sinking like on earth. Done, solved.

I win again! :D

If minecraft was a cube you would have 4 sides but I don't see 4 sides I don't even see a 2end side below bedrock. It probably is a round world. The neather is something else, probably a world where the mantle should be.

Also, If you go into creative mode and dig straight down to bedrock, break the bedrock, and then go below that, You'll see there's absolutely no curve to the bedrock at all, ever. If it was round like you claim it to be, you'd expect that when moving in a straight line you'd end up back at the hole you came through eventually.

You even see it when there's chunk loading errors:

6WIJy.png

Flat. Therefore, having space stations appear to orbit something like that would make complete sense:

flat-earth.jpg

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Well, from my current knowledge, the average artificial satalite would have a sunset every 90minutes. And I don't believe that the overworld would have to appear as a sphere, but still square, the only really change is what the square looks like. Maybe create separate sections of a rectangle (like the one shown) but only allow a certain amount of that image to be shown at any time and slices of it are taken away and brought in every so often ticks. Similar to the moon phases but much faster and the changes are a little smaller.

I think the "scrolling sections" idea is an interesting and potentially effective way of making a flat surface appear to be rotating. Plus it might make it look cool like an old school side scrolling game type of effect and keep that not-so-modern appearance that Minecraft is known for.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Except that there's nothing in game that supports anything like that. Just look under the bedrock. Does it curve? Ever? Nope. Not even a little. If it was anything even close to that, you'd think the bedrock would curve downward at least slightly.
It's because they are going to add nether below the bedrock!
(Maybe)

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
It's because they are going to add nether below the bedrock!
(Maybe)

So? They haven't done it, and as far back as I could remember the bedrock has been absolutely flat (even in the nether). Go see for yourself if you want to. Dig all the way down (or up in the nether) in creative and go outside the bedrock.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
So? They haven't done it, and as far back as I could remember the bedrock has been absolutely flat (even in the nether). Go see for yourself if you want to. Dig all the way down (or up in the nether) in creative and go outside the bedrock.
Below Nether bedrock might be the End (The dimension)! HA! And the end hasn't got any bedrock :p

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
If people want to quote something without due dilligence they can. It's the reason trolls exist. Also nice pic's Dex, and Ezer. That's some sweet stuff.

PatriotAtwood

Nov 11, 2013
You guys have gone far too deep into this, it's just an idea for an affect to make space stations seem a little cooler. Keep in mind it's a game, I'm looking just to make it seem a little more interesting, also if you're shooting for the "oh minecraft is flat and the current model is great" statement, well then you should start a thread showing how the current world gen in no way replicates North and South America and is in fact nothing but many small land masses. But yeah, this was just an idea to make it seem a little cooler when you look down from a space station, so calm down.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
You guys have gone far too deep into this, it's just an idea for an affect to make space stations seem a little cooler. Keep in mind it's a game, I'm looking just to make it seem a little more interesting, also if you're shooting for the "oh minecraft is flat and the current model is great" statement, well then you should start a thread showing how the current world gen in no way replicates North and South America and is in fact nothing but many small land masses. But yeah, this was just an idea to make it seem a little cooler when you look down from a space station, so calm down.

yeah and all I did was say the the object that the station appears to orbit should be flat as in the picture I posted.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013

That's not proof. It's merely a repeat of what the video already clarified.

Actual concrete proof which allows people to experience this limit themselves is:
  1. Get an NBT editor (like NBTExplorer)
  2. Create a test world (preferably in creative mode)
  3. Use the editor to alter your X or Z coordinates (value located at "name of test world"/level.dat/Player/Pos) in the test world to 3199995
  4. Try to walk slightly beyond the assigned coordinate.

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
That's not proof. It's merely a repeat of what the video already clarified.

Actual concrete proof which allows people to experience this limit themselves is:
  1. Get an NBT editor (like NBTExplorer)
  2. Create a test world (preferably in creative mode)
  3. Use the editor to alter your X or Z coordinates (value located at "name of test world"/level.dat/Player/Pos) in the test world to 3199995
  4. Try to walk slightly beyond the assigned coordinate.
It is proof because everything on the minecraft wiki is mostly real