Space Stations Appear To Orbit (just some eyecandy)

PatriotAtwood

Nov 11, 2013
Hey guys. So I've built a sizable space station on a server and use it as my main base of operations. Anyways, I was looking out of the windows down onto the overworld and thought "man, it would be cool if, like the stars, the overworld appeared to rotate beneath me to make it seem like I were orbiting it. Maybe have it similar to the lunar cycles but instead of having it change from Moon/Dark make it appear like the land is moving over and Europe, Africa, and Asia are also coming into view, making it seem like the space station is in orbit. Just a thought.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Hey guys. So I've built a sizable space station on a server and use it as my main base of operations. Anyways, I was looking out of the windows down onto the overworld and thought "man, it would be cool if, like the stars, the overworld appeared to rotate beneath me to make it seem like I were orbiting it. Maybe have it similar to the lunar cycles but instead of having it change from Moon/Dark make it appear like the land is moving over and Europe, Africa, and Asia are also coming into view, making it seem like the space station is in orbit. Just a thought.

Well the starts already go move around. I go agree that it would be cool if the planet below was rotating to make it seem like the space station is in orbit.

The planet below should rotate pretty quickly. If you look at video of the ISS looking down from orbit, it's moving pretty damn quick. It travels (or falls) around the earth at 28,000 kilometers per hour!

The only problem with the idea is that the planet should appear as a cube, but there's no edges when you're on the surface. It's just infinite (or close to infinite), so being a sphere would make more sense.

... and Europe, Africa, and Asia are also coming into view, making it seem like the space station is in orbit. Just a thought.

Those places don't exist in minecraft.

PatriotAtwood

Nov 11, 2013
Well, from my current knowledge, the average artificial satalite would have a sunset every 90minutes. And I don't believe that the overworld would have to appear as a sphere, but still square, the only really change is what the square looks like. Maybe create separate sections of a rectangle (like the one shown) but only allow a certain amount of that image to be shown at any time and slices of it are taken away and brought in every so often ticks. Similar to the moon phases but much faster and the changes are a little smaller.

Attachments

• idea.png
    idea.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 7

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Yeah I believe the ISS sees a sunrise every 45 minutes.

Although Europe, Asia, and Africa don't exist in Minecraft neither do North and South America, but the current Overworld seen from space appear to resemble them.

I'm still torn on what the suggested shape of the planet should me. Considering it's minecraft it should probably be a cube planet. Or maybe just a square slab.

Something like this:

flat-earth.jpg

Reactions: Donzaffi

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Well, from my current knowledge, the average artificial satalite would have a sunset every 90minutes. And I don't believe that the overworld would have to appear as a sphere, but still square, the only really change is what the square looks like. Maybe create separate sections of a rectangle (like the one shown) but only allow a certain amount of that image to be shown at any time and slices of it are taken away and brought in every so often ticks. Similar to the moon phases but much faster and the changes are a little smaller.

I must be thinking of the amount of daylight, making the entire cycle 90 minutes.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
If the minecraft map is 7 times larges than normal earth it would appear to be flat, but if you could set your distance to ultra super far and fly very high you would see a curve in the horizon. This means the world is round with no center meaning a full orbit is possible.

Nothing indicated that the minecraft world is round. In fact all signs point to it being flat. Also cubes are sort of the Minecraft theme, so I see no reason why the planet wouldn't be a cube or at least square and flat.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Wait, is that a suggestion or are you stating that as fact?

I don't think the earth looks flat. You can see the curve when you look at the horizon. And even if you arranged 1,000,000 blocks in a row (and I mean actual perfect cubes), they would still be flat. They just wouldn't rest flat on the surface of the earth. The human body has a center of gravity, but clearly people aren't round blobs (well most aren't). Just because gravity exists doesn't mean it can't be overcome by structural rigidity. Just look at the many massive skyscrapers in existence.

Most importantly...it's Minecraft. We can do whatever we want :) Why not make a squar earth since everything is square.

Reactions: PatriotAtwood

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
We spin 1040 miles per hour or even faster. Some objects in space rotate 6 times per second! These objects are earth sided with 100 times the gravity but they're not disks. With a block hole you get spegetifyed if you get to close, that's the only place I can think of would stretch you with gravity.

That's my point, it doesn't spin fast enough to drastically change it's shape. And we're talking about two different things now. The flattening would be a result of centrifugal force, not gravity. Like someone tossing pizza dough, for example. Whereas gravity counteracts that bulging effect on such a large scale by pulling all that mass back towards the center.

But again, we're comparing Minecraft physics to real world. Although it might be influenced by reality, it doesn't have to simulate it

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
WARNING!! I ABOUT TO BLOW YOUR MIND! If you are in the real world you'd and look at the horizon it looks straight right? Wrong the earth curves, if you were to build the real earth out of 1 by 1 blocks there would still be a curve. Apply that physics to minecraft and you would have the same results. But if you were to travel to the edge of the map you get to a land of no physics but that land was suppose to teleport you to the opposite side of the world. But because you rarely reach the edge it's not implemented. Also because gravity is generated in the center of objects it means there would be a center point of the world. All of this means the world has a center. Your idea is us orbiting a square block, but if you had a square world the gravity would pull all of the matter back into a round ball. To have a square world you would need to have a very tinny mass so the gravity doesn't pulls it back to a round object.
Also your blocks are not totally square! If you could go down very far down to a block it has a very tinny curve in it. If you could make a long enough object let's say 2500 blocks long and when's back far enough and you still had the ability to see the entire length. It has a large curve.
All of this information means the world is round but made of square blocks.

Get ready to have your own blown. The world in Minecraft DOES have an edge. If if was a sphere and you walked in a straight line, you'd expect to eventually end up where you started. This is NOT the case in Minecraft. The fact that it's rumored to teleport you is moot. It doesn't do it, so whatever ideas were intended whether they be fact or rumor is absolutely pointless. Physics doesn't care about intentions, rumors or unimplemented ideas.

If you drop a marble on a table, it will fall according to the laws of physics. It doesn't matter that you intended there to be some second force acting on the marble as it fell. It wasn't there.

All evidence CURRENTLY IN MINECRAFT shows that it's planet would be a cube or a flat square slab. Minecraft IS NOT EARTH. Real world physics don't apply anyways. The theme of minecraft is that everything is cuboid or is at least square.

We spin 1040 miles per hour or even faster. Some objects in space rotate 6 times per second! These objects are earth sided with 100 times the gravity but they're not disks. With a block hole you get spegetifyed if you get to close, that's the only place I can think of would stretch you with gravity.

Most galaxies are disc shaped.

Accretion discs are named such because of their shape.

Our solar system is a disc shape with only I believe Pluto being different and having an orbit that's angled about 40 degrees with relation to all the other bodies.

The matter stuck in a black hole's gravity tends to form a disc.

Angular momentum is conserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
If minecraft was a cube you would have 4 sides but I don't see 4 sides I don't even see a 2end side below bedrock. It probably is a round world. The neather is something else, probably a world where the mantle should be.

You don't see sides because it has no "sides". It is a flat, imaginary world on a digital plane. It's not based on real life and has a "...theoretically infinite map..." according to http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Overworld#Map_limitation.

So back to the topic, there is no reason the Overworld (not Earth) can't be a giant cube just because Micdoodle8 wants it to be.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
If minecraft was a cube you would have 4 sides but I don't see 4 sides I don't even see a 2end side below bedrock. It probably is a round world. The neather is something else, probably a world where the mantle should be.[/
You don't see sides because it has no "sides". It is a flat, imaginary world on a digital plane. It's not based on real life and has a "...theoretically infinite map..." according to http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Overworld#Map_limitation.

So back to the topic, there is no reason the Overworld (not Earth) can't be a giant cube just because Micdoodle8 wants it to be.

Also just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there, and it STILL doesn't mean the minecraft world is round.

You seemed to have ignored like 95% of my post just to focus on the word "Cube" and say "No it's not it's round." It's not round. Practically nothing in Minecraft is round. Get over it.