Space Stations

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Woz2, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Woz2

Woz2 Member

Thinking more upon Project Horizon, I decided that you should be able to build your own space stations. This would require 0% gravity, jetpacks, and gravitational blocks as well as a variety of other blocks, like launching stations. Launching from your space station, although expensive to make a first, would save on massive amounts of fuel. You could also expand upon the launching options, like ion engines or solar sails (a personal favorite of mine, although your could only really travel AWAY from the sun...) The possibilities are endless really.

2. golum_mechanic

this could also work as a abanded space stations -w-

3. Woz2

Woz2 Member

Basically, yes.

4. Dunewolfz

Dunewolfz He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
    Staff Member

If you wanted interstellar travel, Solar Sails wouldn't get you very far once the solar winds have stopped at the edge of the Heliosphere. :3

5. Woz2

Woz2 Member

Never heard of the Heliosphere, and they would work if one used lasers that there a high enough power, much more practical than having all that fuel. But ya, you travel would be limited to fairly near the star and you'd be slower the further away you got.

6. flashman111

flashman111 Moderator
    Staff Member

7. Woz2

Woz2 Member

Ah, I see, thank you. It's the Sun's own magnetic field. I have heard of the Heliopause and sheath now that I think of it. Woot! You go sun! Protect us from cosmic radiation!

8. Dusty Lens

Dusty Lens Member

I would absolutely love to have the ability to craft a space station using the mechanics presented by this mod. Space stations of various types already being a hobby of mine in more "conventional" minecraft.

I suppose the issue would be the purpose of building one, beyond the simple joy of its construction. The terrestrial biomes will present their own challenges and rewards whereas space is, well, space isn't generally referred to as such due its overabundance of -things- with which to interact. Not to mention zero gravity mechanics. While I imagine there could be a measure of joy found in mining asteroids for precious resources I can't imagine what incentives there would be to crafting a way station between the inner and outer worlds.

9. Woz2

Woz2 Member

Actually, zero grav could be made by implimenting the flying script of Vanilla.

10. Woz2

Woz2 Member

And think of it this way, the only reason space shuttles have all that junk that comes off if so they can go into orbit. Now, the orbiter itself only weighs like 150,000 pounds. But a shuttle prepared for launch weighs like 4 million pounds. All fuel and boosters.

11. golum_mechanic

speak about zero grav, isnt it a good idea to implent a gravety genorater to produch gravety in a small aria just like the o2 system but them only for the ground level.