⚠ Important Status of the Mod: When will a new feature or the next update be released?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ezer'Arch, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

Since we're having a surge of multiple topics asking the same thing.

When will the next update or port? When will new planets, rockets, mobs or whatever be added?

Honestly, there's no release date. New features and new releases will be out when they're done. Micdoodle8, radfast and other helpers have worked on porting and releasing the mod to MC 1.8.9, 1.9.4, 1.10.2, and 1.11.2 and bugfixing 1.7.10, and introducing a few other new features (BTW, Galacticraft 4 was recently released)... and YES, we know there's a Forge 1.12.

Needless to say, our devs are busy with real life issues, so things are done in their spare time. We have also coders working on their own addons (worth trying).

Asking for update will not speed up the releases. Coding will!

"How could I help?" you might say:

The best way to speed up new releases is contributing with the development of the mod. If you know enough Java and Forge modding (you can star learning here if you don't) you can submit code changes on our GitHub repository, Galacticraft is open source.

Helping us bugfix the game is welcome (our issue list is here), since this cleans the path for developers to add new features. Translations are equally welcome.

Useful links

Recent discussions about updates (can be edited anytime)

(none)

Old important topics:
    http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...index.php?threads/galacticraft-3-news-2.3738/
    http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/oxygen-sealer-feedback.2720/
    http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/setting-up-galacticraft-for-minecraft-1-6-x.1632/
    https://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/galacticraft-3-release-notes.4372/

#1 Ezer'Arch, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. SirKillz

SirKillz Member

It's been over three weeks since I've seen any updates for this mod, and it's beginning to worry me. I don't want to scare anyone but I feel that Minecraft modding is legitimately dying. 1.8 has been out for over a year and no modpacks are out yet, most mods have seen no updates to 1.8 and it's not looking very optimistic. I am in know way implying that making a mod is easy, and should be done it's just I've always loved this mod and how great it was. When I first seen it on the Yoglabs video two years ago I feel in love. Here's my main concern: The mod ends up dying and we don't get all the amazing features we all wanted so very much. At the rate Minecraft is going it doesn't seem like all the planets that were in the works will end up getting out. I just don't want to see something like this happen.

3. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

Some info off the top my head:
    1. @radfast took a break from Galacticraft due to personal reasons. He plans to be back in August.
    2. As most of you may know, @micdoodle8 is part of StarMade devteam and he filled the gap for a moment while radfast was away. It seems fishtaco567 is going to help a bit too (for those who noticed in the github).
    3. Mojang hasn't made things easy for modders, not only by releasing new versions of MC that break mods but also changing deeply the core features, not even for Forge. From what I read on FTB reddit, some modders are considering to skip 1.8... not mentioning others who have quit modding. Please, be patient.
    4. While some mods seem to be dying, it seems it's the golden age for other mods like Mekanism, JourneyMap, MrCrayfish's mod, Botania, CustomNPCs, etc.
    5. There's some 1.8 port for Galacticraft already done.

#3 Ezer'Arch, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. SirKillz

SirKillz Member

Good to hear, and I understand that it can't be easy with already 7 different versions of 1.8 out and tons of code changing in-between versions of Minecraft. Truthfully I've completely lost interest in Minecraft, this mod time and time again has kept me alive with the game by visiting the moon or mars. I haven't launched Minecraft in 3 months, which is saying a lot considering I played literally every single day for awhile. The entire community just seems like since 1.8 has been going down, and it's sad but I guess all good things must come to an end. I mean what, 3-4 great years of this game? Not saying it's bad now it's just slowly looking worse at least in my opinion. Hopefully 1.9 turns everything around.

5. Vigilantecow

Vigilantecow Member

Did you read anything that was posted DIRECTLY above you?

6. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

Please go easy with them. ;)

Some people get frustrated when they don't get enough updates to keep them steadily motivated. If the flow of updates happens to slow down they start the "mod is dying" mode to appeal the developers. I know where they're coming from. ^^'

Just to add:
    - I applaud our MC modders, for they must have balls of steel to keep their mods up despite the updates that break their mods all the time and force them to rewrite considerable parts of their mods, and the demand of the community. I would have burned up.
    - As to "some modders are considering to skip 1.8.", I could add "and go straight from 1.7.10 to 1.9, since 1.8 hasn't pleased anyone".
    - Looks like 1.9 will still "feature" the same old bugs again... but hey, there'll be a modder to save the day (link).
    - There's a growing feeling among some modders that Mojang has made modding harder and harder and harder (maybe true or not, it's just the feeling I'm getting on Twitter), sometimes Forge had to create methods to reintroduce features that became unsupported in 1.8 (good read). And the new Minecraft for Win10 coded on C++ instead of Java is feeding in their fear (this is a good read too). Other modders are simply enjoying their time modding while it's possible; good on them.
    - The bottom line is: be nice to the modders, it's a privilege to have them.

EDIT: Here Lexmanos (Forge dev) talks a bit about Minecraft on Win10PE: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,32561.0.html

#6 Ezer'Arch, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Vigilantecow likes this.
  7. pra

pra Member

So, MS is actually breaking mods at last? It's a wonder that it took so long, and that versions like 1.7 are still playable.

Anyway, any news on ANYTHING regarding Galacticraft?

8. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

#8 Ezer'Arch, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi guys, as anyone following Twitter or the Github will have seen, I'm back to working on the mod since the start of 2016, and micdoodle8 is also looking in from time to time when he can. This summarises the recent updates: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Whats_New

We also have some other great guys spending a ton of time on the mod, Space Viking, Ezer'Arch, fishtaco567, SteveKunG / SteveMCCommander. Even while I've been away, things have been happening.

Some of the Add Ons have developed into stable, full featured submods which are extremely playable, you should check them out if you haven't already, and there are a ton of planets in there.

Two new Galacticraft-centered modpacks have emerged on FTB and Curse, that's Space Astronomy and Galactic Science.

Judging by the volume of traffic on the micdoodle8.com website, there are as many people playing the mod as there ever have been. Minecraft is still insanely popular, the vanilla game probably will be popular forever with the 6-11 year old players who seem to be the core audience for vanilla, and of course it keeps its family friendly values for that reason. My impression - generalising massively - is that the demand for complex mods like Galacticraft mainly comes from older players - teenagers, college students and adults - who are looking for a more challenging and mentally stimulating game, some of these players are even serious professional engineers. That's a massive audience worldwide. Although some people move on to other games - or get girlfriends and stop gaming altogether :p - equally there are plenty of newer players still discovering mods. I would hope that every player who enjoys Minecraft will eventually discover the excellence that is modded Minecraft. If you have friends who still play, do encourage them to try mods - once someone has figured out how to install Forge, everything else after that is easy. (I installed Forge on a friend's Mac a couple of months back. It wasn't easy! But I updated our wiki with better Mac instructions in consequence.)

I do agree that there is a sense that the Minecraft "community" is changing. I'm not sure you can call it a community, given the huge number of players and the wide disparity in interests. But a few trends I'm noticing:
    1. Some of the big name YouTubers (Simon and Duncan...) have almost entirely moved on to other games and there's no longer that original sense of discovery on YouTube, that feeling of elements of the game or mods still being untested - YouTube is pretty much saturated with Minecraft videos by now, you could say over-saturated with guys trying to establish their own series and channels but without the quality and humor of the originals (not a fair comparison, as Simon and Duncan and their ilk were often Media Studies graduates who are very skilled at video-making, not just gamers)
    2. There's no longer this feeling that there may be some incredible new mod out there which you haven't tried yet, at least personally I feel I've seen all the really big mods by now. But Modjams and other events still produce new gems - personally I really like iChun's mods, for example Sync, each one is a nice compact mod with just a few blocks and features, beautifully executed and his coding skills are scarily good. I also like Witchery, and Thaumcraft, and Advanced Genetics, and many others.
    3. I would say "maturing" is a good word for what's happening to mods. Most of the big ones (like GC) are still in active development, staying in 1.7.10 and taking this time to round out the mod and complete features which the authors didn't have time for previously. Mekanism, especially, this is true for - but I think similar things are happening for IC2, Tinker's Construct, all the CoFH mods, and others.
    4. A few mods have sadly stopped development. Calclavia fell out with his team quite a while back (more than a year ago, I guess) so we will probably not see more of Atomic Science, ICBM, MFFS or other Calclavia mods which I used to enjoy playing.
    5. Buildcraft is close to stopping I sense, SpaceToad left it a while back, asiekirka who has done a lot recently said he will now only bugfix. But you could say Buildcraft is a "finished" mod, what more can reasonably be added to it?
    6. Newer mods are taking their place, including several new technology mods.
    7. There are many more modpacks and sources of modpacks, so it's becoming harder to sort out which ones are the 'major' modpacks, the days when you could (just about) only choose between Tekkit, Hexxit, FeedTheBeast and Voltz have long since gone.
    8. It's still as hard as it ever has been to run a good public server offering modded Minecraft - most large modpacks are crash prone or contain an exploit which someone will eventually discover, leading to a frustrating player experience on servers. Good public servers offering mods therefore really need to have a Java coder on the staff to write custom patches. At this point a shoutout to my old friends at jacgaming.com - they're one of the few who really gets this right, if you're feeling jaded with the game it's worth trying one of their newer packs.

Something else to think about: the game is at a different stage in some other countries compared with the US - it's a younger and fresher game in some countries, and more of a global game now - we can tell this because the number of languages Galacticraft is translated into is more than ever before, and we have more and more people offering improvements for the existing translations.

If people want to help keep Galacticraft fresh, some things that would really help out are:

#9 radfast, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Vigilantecow and Ezer'Arch like this.
  10. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Some comments on where we are with 1.8

As a mod author, I can't feel excited about Minecraft 1.8. It doesn't add a huge number of features to the game (rabbits, mutton, and those under-ocean temple things are all I can think of right now). But in coding terms it makes several semi-pointless changes to the way things work internally at a fundamental level. This means a mod's code has to be completely revised to run under Minecraft 1.8. It's not very much fun for a mod author to spend time doing that, when the mod is working perfectly in 1.7.10 - it doesn't add new features to the mods, actually overall it often hurts performance i.e. a server will run more slowly.

Players who say "when will 1.8 be out" are not helping, I mean even if we overlook the entitled attitude, why not just play the mod in 1.7.10 and enjoy it how it is now - the full experience can be enjoyed now, what is the big deal about updating to 1.8? It's like saying the mod is not enjoyable unless it's the current MC version. But modded Minecraft can never be running under the current Minecraft version because it takes months for Forge to be stable for a new Minecraft, and months after that for a mod to be updated.

In fact in Galacticraft we have mostly completed the coding work for 1.8. OK I say "we", actually micdoodle8 did most of it. But there are still issues which are tough to solve, due to 'under the hood' type changes made by Mojang and/or Forge for 1.8. It's discouraging for mod authors when our mod is working perfectly in 1.7.10 for it to be essentially all broken again in 1.8. For Galacticraft, for development purposes the 1.8 version is also "frozen in time" from how Galacticraft was around 8 months ago, so it's actually less up to date than the current 1.7.10 version.

All other major mod authors will be facing similar issues with 1.8 - but they are maybe toughest for Galacticraft because we are the most ambitious mod, so I won't be helped by seeing a list of other mods which already updated to 1.8. I mean, in Galacticraft we change a wider variety of the things which go to make up the Minecraft overall player experience than probably any other mod - someone can try to list them, but even then they'd probably only cover half of it. This means there's more things in Galacticraft to "break" when updating MC versions.

So don't expect a playable version for MC 1.8 any time soon. It will come eventually, when it's good and ready.

#10 radfast, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Vigilantecow and Ezer'Arch like this.
  11. Vigilantecow

Vigilantecow Member

I haven't really been paying attention to the what's new page, and due to the inactivity on the forums I wasn't sure if Galacticraft development was all that active.
    Thanks for making this post, I'm happy to hear that you guys are still working hard at it. Galacticraft is still one of the gems when it comes to minecraft mods.

#11 Vigilantecow, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  12. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

13. KocLobster

KocLobster Member

@radfast I just wanted to comment and say I really appreciated your last two posts. It clarified some things for me about the way modpacks and MC works, updates, etc. and specifically about GC, which I love. If I was developing a mod or game, I would always enjoy and want to continue to hear and know that people still enjoy my work and effort. So I'm just doing that, in the hopes that GC continues to be developed and worked on. It's a great mod and I love it. As it turns out, its the first mod I've ever tried since graduating from vanilla. I started MC around 1.2ish and stopped for quite some time. When I came back I tried modded MC and I'll never go back, its amazing! I found GC through the Galactic Science modpack that you mentioned, in case anyone was curious. Thanks again and I hope to see more updates.

PS: who gives a shit about updating to 1.8. Anybody that isn't a child and understands the realities of MC coding and has common sense understands that updating to 1.8 is trivial, if not pointless.

Vigilantecow, Ezer'Arch and radfast like this.
  14. pra

pra Member

Is there even a point in updating to 1.8? By now, 1.9 is almost done, it can be only a matter of months until there is a forge that. If it's about staying up to date with minecraft, maybe it makes more sense to just skip 1.8?

15. S_Hacker

S_Hacker Member

If it's almost complete, why not just continue?

16. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

As some modders have done, I'd update straight to 1.8.9, because "features"...

[​IMG]

Vigilantecow likes this.
  17. Proxy_PlayerHD

uhh...
    I'm Confused, Amused, Impressed and i want it! xD

but... i heard the rumor that Modders won't make many Updates for the 1.8 version and skip to 1.9, because 1.8 doesn't seem to like Mods and can Glitch out very fast.
    I mean, look at FTB Unstable, it's a 1.8 Lite version of FTB Lite and doesn't always work the way you want it to do.

18. SirKillz

SirKillz Member

Ok, awesome to hear the posts from Radfast and other things. Sorry I've been away for quite some time. If I may ask then, what is the next major step for this mod? Will it be a version update? Will it be a huge new feature: I.E. A new dimension/vehicle/boss. It just seems as though things have been a little bit slower, and as I read your last post that is understandable. Mod devs are humans and I'm not expecting you to bend to my every command and wish; I'm just curious as it has been quite some time since the mod has received a major feature like a new dimension and currently that new dimension seems a bit lacking in terms of content. As stated before I am only asking and do not mean to look down on any work already done on this mod, and am not expecting any updates, simply just curious.

19. AndreySV

AndreySV Member

Hello my question is: Will in the near future GK4? if so, is there any approximate release date?

20. BlesseNtumble

BlesseNtumble Member