Suggestion: Oxygen requirements for blocks, Config Request: Give me the options to do it myself.

BBoldt

Mar 9, 2014
The suggestion:
To me this is one of the most glaring oversights in Galacticraft. Plants can grow in the vacuum of space. Or on ice cold Mars.

I've actually wanted to create a survival based challenge modpack using Galacticraft for quite some time, but this has been putting me off of it.

Note that this could definitely constitute a "hardcore" mode if you actually intend to add your own values to the mod, long time players would be potentially upset if you just forced these changes, even though I would argue that they make a lot of sense.

In an environment without oxygen:
  • Any plant registered to the ore dictionary as a crop, sapling, grass, or flower would become a dead shrub
  • Anything registered to the ore dictionary as a leaf would just decay immediately
  • Any block that can't work in an environment without oxygen would turn to sand or turn into a "scrap pile" block or something like that. (eg. pumpkins, melons, vanilla furnaces)

The config request:
I intend to use these mechanics a lot in the survival pack I plan on making, but I can't really do that if they aren't in the mod. These would also help out pack authors or modders a lot in setting up compatibility with other mods that would like their blocks to not work in oxygen-free environments.

Requested config options; potentially api stuff:
  • Ability to whitelist blocks that can't work in an environment without oxygen.
  • Ability to set what those blocks would decay into when not exposed to oxygen.

Here is a mockup of what the config would look like, in the galacticraft/core.cfg

Code:
# List blocks from other mods that should not work without oxygen (for example, torches) and what block they become when there is no oxygen (for example, extinguished torch). 
# Format Example: minecraft:torch,galacticraft:extinguishedtorch  
# Format Example (oredictionary): ore:treeSapling,minecraft:deadbush
    S:"Oxygen Requirement IDs" <
     minecraft:sapling:*,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:yellow_flower,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:red_flower:*,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:brown_mushroom,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:red_mushroom,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:leaves:*,minecraft:air
     minecraft:leaves2:*,minecraft:air
     minecraft:wheat,minecraft:deadbush
     minecraft:lit_furnace,minecraft:furnace
    >

Pretty please with sugar on top! <3

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
but how do you generate oxygen then? right now, you need to grow plants in vacuum and put oxygen collectors next to them

BBoldt

Mar 9, 2014
but how do you generate oxygen then? right now, you need to grow plants in vacuum and put oxygen collectors next to them

Only thing that would change is you would need to take some oxygen reserves with you from Earth to get that going. You would have to build an enclosure for your trees and seal it with oxygen until you start generating enough to sustain yourself. Like I said, this would be more "hardcore" than normal, but make a bit more sense in keeping true to science, and it would hold a lot of educational value. I just noticed the galacticraft devs have implemented more things dealing with temperature in sealed environments, which is great! This would be more along that route.

Really though, all I want is those config options so I can make my survival challenge pack. I just thought it would be a neat thing to be in the mod as well, which is why this is a combination config request and suggestion.

Lunchbox12

Oct 17, 2015
I feel like the addition would add a whole new layer of fun to the art of surviving on an uninhabited planet. I really want them to implement it!

Reactions: BBoldt

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
As long as it's configurable then it's a great idea for modpack creation... ive been wanting to make a special galacticraft centered modpack since the mod was in 1.6.4 but due to the lack of even basic ability to do what I want to I can't get the general setup working for it so any modpack options are welcome!