Telescopes and astronomy

Telescopes are awesome and this mod is built to explore the universe, so what about that you need to "discover" a planet?
To discover a planet, you need a telescope, then you need to make a picture of that planet, it then opens up in the star map and the planet GUI.
Once you unlocked the planet, it`s moons are unlocked too, once you unlocked a moon it`s planet (and that planets moon) are unlocked too.
You don`t need to unlock the moon.
This makes a lot of sense and gives a lot of a feel of that you are exploring space, what this mod wants to give you.

Or, in my possible-future add-on/possible future update, exploration, then unlocked in the starmap, click on it, then it's your starmade style waypoint. Other planets generate randomly for discovery, and you send a probe to check for life, oxygen etc...

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Or, in my possible-future add-on/possible future update, exploration, then unlocked in the starmap, click on it, then it's your starmade style waypoint. Other planets generate randomly for discovery, and you send a probe to check for life, oxygen etc...

No. No for your idea of "exploration" instead of a GUI at 1,200. Seriously, if you want Starmade, then go play Starmade.

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
The whole "unlocking" thing is dumb. Nowhere in Minecraft do you ever "unlock" anything. It's available whenever you have the resources for it. I don't play the magic mods like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica because the "unlocking" mechanic is annoying. If I wanted to spend hours researching I'd become a scientist.

well i am a scientist..

micdoodle8

Administrator
Nov 12, 2012
I undeleted this thread for the sake of archiving the information that was discussed. I see no reason that the thread was deleted, and I liked the ideas and suggestions that were thrown around in this topic.

@wolfboyft If you have any specific reason this was deleted please contact me via PM and I'll try to sort it out.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
@Ezer'Arch

You definetely over-exaggerated when you said that this was an in-depth discussion on telescopes with very well thought out ideas (not saying they aren't, I'm just o_Oing why on Earth you are so obsessed with this)

Ya

Because your telescope idea wasn't a bad one, and would fit with the theme of the mod. Ezer's screenshot examples were pretty much exactly what I'd imagine telescopes in the mod could/should look like.

Because your telescope idea wasn't a bad one, and would fit with the theme of the mod. Ezer's screenshot examples were pretty much exactly what I'd imagine telescopes in the mod could/should look like.

Then discuss it here, this is now where it belongs. It belongs here, in the appropriate thread, which is all about planets and their position, if it wasn't clear enough. nice work! But why must you HA I won't delete it, but we MUST NOT discuss it here anymore.

But then the idea of "exploration" was brought up again after Mitch said it wasn't going to happen.

Hm? What is quark-gluon plasma? Wait, what when who?

No, this is simply something where... in the way I imagine it... OH CRAP, THIS IS BEING DISCUSSED HERE!

MODERATORS! LOCK THIS TOPIC!
There is no reason to delete this, but there is every reason to discuss it here instead.

EDIT by Moderator: No! You are not in position to order people where to post. ~Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
(Just because @radfast posted this: https://twitter.com/radfast/status/517339996206796800)

I was messing around with MC Helicopter mod last month or so. It has a nice feature that could be used for probes and telescopes: it's a remote control station, you sit in front of the panel, your view is transfered from you to the vehicle (or rocket) and you can control remotely the vehicle as if you were "riding" it.

This may answer a possible question: "How to send a satellite or probe if you are still on the Overworld?"

(ah ewwww, I had to delete about 20 awful posts from this thread)

Last edited:

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
A small and sily thing a telescope would be good for..

On our little server with only a few people on we discovered that it is easy to get the moon day night cycle out of sync with the Overworld.

People on the Overworld sleep to advance to dawn, while there is someone on the moon... poof things are out of sync.

This is not a complaint nor do we consider it a bug nor asking for anything to be fixed

but in those situations, it would be nice if a telescope could verify that the moon is in a good position in its day night cycle for a launch