Telescopes and astronomy

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
On our little server with only a few people on we discovered that it is easy to get the moon day night cycle out of sync with the Overworld.

People on the Overworld sleep to advance to dawn, while there is someone on the moon... poof things are out of sync.

This is not a complaint nor do we consider it a bug nor asking for anything to be fixed
If not a bug, this is a bad behavior. I think all dimensions are supposed to be in synch, except The Nether and The End, where the flow of the time is disregarded (the clock item goes crazy, see http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Clock#Usage), thus players are not required to go to bed to skip the nighttime.

In what version of Galacticraft this happens?

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
If not a bug, this is a bad behavior. I think all dimensions are supposed to be in synch, except The Nether and The End, where the flow of the time is disregarded, thus players are not required to go to bed to advance the time, see http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Clock#Usage.

In what version of Galacticraft this happens?

We are running G3 3.0.4 build 204 ( getting ready to update to build 205 ) on a 1.7.10 server with the latest reccomended forge build for 1.7.10
but it has been the case for the last several builds in 1.7.2 and 1.7.10
People on the overworld are allowed to "sleep" even though there is a person on the moon who does not sleep. The overworld advances in time, and the Moon does not
I am pretty sure this is the case in the current build as well but I can check when we update to the current build.
We never thought it was a bug... I am curious what should happen, should people on the Overworld not be allowed to sleep if someone is active on the Moon? or Mars for that matter.

The reason I didnt report this as a bug... is because I didnt realize it was

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I am curious what should happen, should people on the Overworld not be allowed to sleep if someone is active on the Moon? or Mars for that matter.
It's up to the server admin. Honestly, if it's out of sync already disallowing people from going to bed simply won't help.

What the mod could do is to check if all dimensions are in-sync, if not the mod would "force" a resync throughout the dimensions. I've just opened a ticket about the issue: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/1074

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
It's up to the server admin. Honestly, if it's out of sync already disallowing people from going to bed simply won't help.

What the mod could do would be to check if all dimensions are in-sync, if not the mod would "force" a re-sync throughout the dimensions. I've just opened a ticket about the issue: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/1074

I thought it was intended behavior.

Forcing a resync I would be opposed to, imagine...you are bouncing around on the moon happy as a clam, people on the Overworld sleep, and Boom night falls suddenly and unexpectedly on the Moon when you had plenty of sunlight a few moments ago.

I would not want a forced resync, if something HAS do be done about it, I would say you cannot sleep on the overworld if someone is active on the moon or mars ( or anywhere else it would matter )

We have just been living with the idea that they occasionally get out of sync, and we figured out why

The good news is I am the server admin ( if you can call me launching the server on my computer that )

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Forcing a resync I would be opposed to, imagine...you are bouncing around on the moon happy as a clam, people on the Overworld sleep, and Boom night falls suddenly and unexpectedly on the Moon when you had plenty of sunlight a few moments ago.
There's a subtle detail:
I think all dimensions are supposed to be in synch, except The Nether and The End, where the flow of the time is disregarded (the clock item goes crazy, see http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Clock#Usage), thus players are not required to go to bed to skip the nighttime.
Therefore, if a player is awake on the Moon or in another dimension expect The Nether and The End, and someone else on the Overworld goes to bed, the nighttime can't be skipped exactly to avoid the kind of situation you raised.

Rewording: to skip the Overworld nighttime, it's required that all players be on bed (normal or cryo-chamber), except those in dimensions where the clock doesn't work.

EDIT:
As to the force-resync, I meant that for servers whose dimensions are out of sync already. It would be a fix.

Last edited:

Dwight

Sep 12, 2014
Ok.. I think we have fixed it once or twice simply by sleeping when no one was on the moon... but I could be mistaken.

I am old and I try to make 3 mistakes a day whether I need to or not

Im not all that worried about this, I was just thinkinig this would be another use for a telescope

but perhaps... we are not supposed to be allowed to sleep to advance night when someone is active there... ( shurg )

Currently... you can

Feb 28, 2014
Please don't bump dead threads if you don't have significant content to say, this is not the only one. Post farming is frowned upon.
Astrology... so we're introducing horoscopes into Galacticraft to predict future? I think he wanted to mean astronomy.

One of the reasons for me to have suggested that the Moon should have some synchronization with the Overworld (rejoice! it's implemented, kinda) is that you could schedule a mission just by viewing its phases on the sky. The same thing could go for other planets and celestial bodies on the sky. This is astronomy.
That is a great idea!

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Maybe you could set up a satellite in orbit which could view the surface of Earth and give you a general idea of where certain biomes are, but not with any accuracy

Reactions: AcapitalA

ihazbravo

Jun 15, 2015
I think perhaps, you could use telescopes to unlock planets/moons by 'seeing' them. I'm thinking a way zoomed in map (the one that you press 'm' to open) but some of the planets are darked out. When you mouse over them, you can see them better. Getting a terrain view would be VERY hard to program, I imagine. Anyways, from the moon, you can see beyond the asteroid belt (at least a small one.) Or you can see the entire solar system w/ a large telescope fromthe overworld. That's what I got so far.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
I think perhaps, you could use telescopes to unlock planets/moons by 'seeing' them. I'm thinking a way zoomed in map (the one that you press 'm' to open) but some of the planets are darked out. When you mouse over them, you can see them better. Getting a terrain view would be VERY hard to program, I imagine. Anyways, from the moon, you can see beyond the asteroid belt (at least a small one.) Or you can see the entire solar system w/ a large telescope fromthe overworld. That's what I got so far.
Good idea. This could be integrated with a space observatory, which would give better images due to the lack of atmosphere

armdn

Jul 18, 2014
How about to implement some of a gregtech hardcore style like - optical telescope as a requirements to open planets, radiotelescopes to open their orbits, parameters and smaller objects such as an asteroids, and only THEN player can fly to that planet with propper and required rocket/spaceship?

P.S.: it seems is not new idea, but well i'm support this way! :))

To go to Couper Belt and beyond - there is requirement to build an orbital telescope!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I think this belongs to here:

wwOyEJn.jpg

Riroo

Feb 7, 2016
I think their is a plausible idea behind this which could also integrate shooting satellites, their are many telescopes currently in earth orbit at the present moment so you could use a computer a giant ground dish connect with the satellite and get the basis of oxygen levels of planets and so on.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Last edited: